Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #1

Preferred Brake system for 2011 Honda CRV

Hello, we have purchased an experienced Blue OX Aventa 2 tow bar and are now looking at a braking system for towing our 2011 Honda CRV. We would appreciate any advice or concerns from anyone who tows the same car.
thanks in advance
Rick and Barbara
2013 Jayco Melbourne 28F

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #2

I went with SMI Stay-In-Play Duo, we had a gasser at the time. I will simply give you the reasone why I chose that particular system.
It uses the toads power braking system. It is not just pushing on a dead brake pedal.
There is no setup before towing, plug the umbical in and turn it on.
The actuator is very small, unless you look up under the dash, you can't see it.
There is nothing to take about and store.
It has a good track record of performance.
Had I have had a DP at the time I would have gone with SMI AirForce One.

Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by geman View Post
Hello, we have purchased an experienced Blue OX Aventa 2 tow bar and are now looking at a braking system for towing our 2011 Honda CRV. We would appreciate any advice or concerns from anyone who tows the same car.
thanks in advance
Rick and Barbara
2013 Jayco Melbourne 28F
\

Rick,
First off, good choice on the toad. The CRV is, as you most likely know, one of the most preferred toads there is out there. You will get a mixed review on just what braking system to use and, type of wiring for your toad lights. I don't know if you're already done or had done, your lighting setup or not but, I'll just give you my two cents for what it's worth.

We just recently sold our 2011 CRV EXL 4x4 for reasons unimportant here. But, while I never got a chance to setup a braking system, I was going to use the Ready Brake due to it's simplicity and, well, cheapness for a real reason. I used it on our '04 Jeep Rubicon and are presently using it on our 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4.

It's easy setup, and when it comes time for getting ready to tow, only about 20 seconds of attachment and it's done. But, what I did for the lights is use the stock tail light bulbs for toad lights. It was very easy to do and, what's really nice is the fact that when someone is following you when you're towing the CRV, the lights act the same as they do when you're driving it. The amber turn signals, regular brake lights (including the third one) and all.

Now, if you've already done it, that's fine. What ever you're happy with. Now, you can do it my way on the '11 and I think '12 Versions of the CRV but, I'm not sure on the '13 and above due to the fact that Honda, like Jeep, may have gone to what's called the "CAN-BUSS" wiring system. It's a different but, semi-complicated wiring system that we had in all of our fire trucks. And, the use of the stock bulbs for toad lighting, if I recall, is not permitted.

So, just some info for you.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:01 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
\

Rick,
First off, good choice on the toad. The CRV is, as you most likely know, one of the most preferred toads there is out there. You will get a mixed review on just what braking system to use and, type of wiring for your toad lights. I don't know if you're already done or had done, your lighting setup or not but, I'll just give you my two cents for what it's worth.

We just recently sold our 2011 CRV EXL 4x4 for reasons unimportant here. But, while I never got a chance to setup a braking system, I was going to use the Ready Brake due to it's simplicity and, well, cheapness for a real reason. I used it on our '04 Jeep Rubicon and are presently using it on our 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4.

It's easy setup, and when it comes time for getting ready to tow, only about 20 seconds of attachment and it's done. But, what I did for the lights is use the stock tail light bulbs for toad lights. It was very easy to do and, what's really nice is the fact that when someone is following you when you're towing the CRV, the lights act the same as they do when you're driving it. The amber turn signals, regular brake lights (including the third one) and all.

Now, if you've already done it, that's fine. What ever you're happy with. Now, you can do it my way on the '11 and I think '12 Versions of the CRV but, I'm not sure on the '13 and above due to the fact that Honda, like Jeep, may have gone to what's called the "CAN-BUSS" wiring system. It's a different but, semi-complicated wiring system that we had in all of our fire trucks. And, the use of the stock bulbs for toad lighting, if I recall, is not permitted.

So, just some info for you.
Scott
Scott,
I just purchased a 2012 CRV EXL and plan to use BrakeBuddy Vantage. I'm still trying to sort out the brake light situation in my mind. The brake lights come on when the brake pedal is pushed (which BrakeBuddy will do by itself), so it would seem the brake lights are taken care of by themselves. However, the blinkers don't take care of themselves, nor running lights. Your comments about your wiring effort was intriguing. Can you explain to me what you did in a little more detail? Did you use a kit? Thanks
Old 08-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #5

B52guy,
First off, that plane is close to the top of the list for my favorite planes. I dig those things. Right along with it are the B-58 Hustler, The SR-71, the B-36 and, my two cargo units, the C-5A Galaxy and, the C-130 Hercules.

OK, enough about my dream planes. Well Sir, as stated, I setup my CRV lights using the stock tail light bulbs. And, the way I did it, it worked flawlessly. But, one thing I never did while we owned the CRV, was set up a braking system for it. So, I never had to contend with the brake lights coming on because of an auxiliary braking system in the toad.

I did have that problem with our '04 Jeep Rubicon. It also would show brake lights when the "Ready Brake" system applied the brakes in it. So, what I did for that solution, I found the brake switch, right next to the brake arm in the Jeep. I found which wire was the "out put" wire. I cut that wire, sent attached a length of wire to it, and sent it to a small, three way, toggle switch that I installed in the door jamb of the jeep. I then sent another wire, back to the cut one. On the third post of the toggle switch, I sent a wire, all the way to the dash of the motor home, via the pig tail between the toad and the coach, to an LED I mounted in the dash of the coach.

Now, when it came time for towing, I flipped that switch so the signal from the brake switch in the jeep, went from the switch, to the toggle switch and, to the motor home dash and the LED. But, for driving the Jeep, we simply flipped the toggle the other way. That sent the brake signal from the jeeps brake switch, up to the toggle, and right back down to the original wire, and back to the tail lights.

That whole system, took me about two hours to setup, including running the long wire all along the frame of the motor home and up under the dash. It worked flawless each and every time.

OK, that takes care of the brake lights and the auxiliary braking system. What some might do is, remove the brake light fuse in the toad. Yes, you probably can do that but, just like removing the number #34 fuse in the '11 CRV fuse block (the one recommended for flat towing that I never removed) , it most likely is a pain in the a... So, you'll have to make a choice like that.

Now, as for running lights and turn signals, I did what many guys have a heart attack thinking about. I simply "T-d" into the turn signal wire for the left side, just ahead of the tail light housing. I did the same thing on the opposite side. I put Radio Shack diodes just ahead of those "T" intersections just to keep the signals from the coach from traveling down stream to the CRV wiring in the front of the car.

But, one thing here. Many coaches are simply wired with what's called a "combo" brake/turn wire for each of the two sides, right and left. Well, I wanted to make the CRVs lights act just like they do when someone is driving it, including amber turn signals and red brake lights.

So, what has to be done is, a "tail light converter" has to be installed in the system. It's a simple plan. I'm sending along a drawing I did just after wiring up our '11 CRV. It's pretty self explanatory. If you'd like to know more, please PM me as I don't want to bore other folks on with the details.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've used the RoadMaster BrakeMaster on two vehicles so far with no trouble. But it's an air activated unit. They do make a pump unit for gas rigs but it gets pretty expensive and takes up room in a bay.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:32 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks very much, Scott. Just exactly what I was looking for!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #8

I've got an Invisibrake on my Ford Focus and love it. 1 -6pin connector does it all. No pumps to re&re , small 10x10x3 control box hides in my hatchback.(I have a sub amp under ny seat already)

Tags
brake