Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2019, 07:25 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Preventing front end paint/windshield chipping

What do you all use (or not use) to prevent toad front end paint/windshield dings/chips.

The last vehicle we towed (with a dolly) got all manner of dings and even a chipped windshield from towing.

Looking to avoid/minimize that if possible.

The MH has short 8-10" mud flaps on rears.

Judging from the the sand-blasting the bottom of the ladder gets, I'm sure the Jeep would be getting a face full too.

Ron
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2019, 11:45 AM   #2

Newmar motorhomes come with this installed on the front end

https://durashieldppfs.com/

I don't see any reason you couldn't have it installed on your toad.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:46 PM   #3

I've been using these since 2006 and have had good luck. https://rvandoffroad.com/rv-and-towables

Yes you have to clean under them, but I've used them on 3 toads, and 2 coaches and have not had a problem with paint scratching or anything else. We've made 9 trips from Delaware to Alaska and about 15 to the southwest and won't be without it. The stick on plastic coatings don't stop the chips, but you have to remove the whole sheet to fix the chips. Also, they are not scratch proof and dull with age and Love Bug impacts.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:31 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
I've been using these since 2006 and have had good luck. https://rvandoffroad.com/rv-and-towables

Yes you have to clean under them, but I've used them on 3 toads, and 2 coaches and have not had a problem with paint scratching or anything else. We've made 9 trips from Delaware to Alaska and about 15 to the southwest and won't be without it. The stick on plastic coatings don't stop the chips, but you have to remove the whole sheet to fix the chips. Also, they are not scratch proof and dull with age and Love Bug impacts.
Interesting, once these are stretched into shape, how much work to get it on the vehicle?

Ron
Old 06-18-2019, 01:44 PM   #5

DW can put it on alone in less than 10 minutes. Together, it takes us less than 5. Removal actually takes a bit longer as you have to fold it a special way and if there's one person on each side, it makes it a lot easier. Still nothing that I'd call hard or a PITA. When we go to Alaska we leave it on for the 7-10 days it takes for the trip up, so it doesn't have to come off each day. When we came down one year on the Top of the World Highway, the dust (it was dry) was horrendous, so once we got on hard top roads we did remove it, put it over a line and beat it with a stick. Still no damage to the toad paint after we got home.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:45 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We have a solid rubber flap across the back of the MH, positioned 6" above the ground, along with a Protect-a-Tow mesh shield between the MH and toad. In 7 years of towing we have never had a chip on the toad!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:25 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There are a half dozen different methods for protecting your toad. You have to decide how much work you want to do every time you connect and disconnect your toad. I see some with many elaborate systems. They say that they don't take long to put on or take off, but they often forget it's something we all know how to do or have done, and know that it's not true.

Another determination.....how will you use your toad. I'm sure most use them the same way, but there are some variances. Mine is set up for a really quick disconnect and use. Often, after a long day of driving, we like to go out to dinner. If something is close by and we can walk, great, but often we need the toad. You're less likely to disconnect and use the toad if it's a long and DIRTY process.

Lastly, a lot depends on what you're towing and your coach. Many dislike the large mud flaps or ad flaps as some call them on the back of their coach. I like mine, I like the looks of it and I have it adjusted to the proper height so it doesn't do more damage than good. I've been towing my 2016 Canyon since new. It is mostly grille and has only about a foot width of paint below the grille, across the front. When towing locally, I don't use anything (I have maybe three small chips on the front of my truck and couldn't tell you if I got them while towing or using it as a daily driver). When towing for several hundred miles, I use a product called Road Wrap. It comes in an 18" roll and looks like saran wrap, but has stickem on one side. I stretch it across the painted area, cut with a razor and press it down. I leave it on until I reach my destination. Sometimes two maybe three days. If I decide to drive the toad in between, like out to dinner, I leave it on. Once I reach my destination, I pull it off, wad it up and toss it. The roll is 100' and good for about 20 uses.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:50 PM   #8

so once we got on hard top roads we did remove it, put it over a line and beat it with a stick.

If it did it’s job why did you beat it with a stick? Lol lol lol 😆
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:04 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

When towing for several hundred miles, I use a product called Road Wrap.
Where can you buy this stuff, it sounds perfect.

Amazon and all of the auto supply places are out...almost looks like the company that acquired the original company that made this stuff dumped the product...lots of 3M alternatives, but pricey.

Ron
Old 06-28-2019, 07:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmueller View Post
What do you all use (or not use) to prevent toad front end paint/windshield dings/chips.

The last vehicle we towed (with a dolly) got all manner of dings and even a chipped windshield from towing.

Looking to avoid/minimize that if possible.

The MH has short 8-10" mud flaps on rears.

Judging from the the sand-blasting the bottom of the ladder gets, I'm sure the Jeep would be getting a face full too.

Ron
That's a lot of mud flaps
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:42 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmueller View Post
Where can you buy this stuff, it sounds perfect.

Amazon and all of the auto supply places are out...almost looks like the company that acquired the original company that made this stuff dumped the product...lots of 3M alternatives, but pricey.

Ron
I use to be able to buy the large roll x 100', but all they sell now is the 12" x 50' and the 6" x 50'. The combo is $27.00, still not too bad.

Here is a link https://www.calcarcover.com/product/...tion-film/1218
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:18 PM   #12

No way I'm gonna put a bra or super saran wrap on my dirty car. And I can't wash my car before every hook up.

Remove the full width bling flap. That's it.
Or you can add a Protect A Tow for even more protection.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:12 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I use to be able to buy the large roll x 100', but all they sell now is the 12" x 50' and the 6" x 50'. The combo is $27.00, still not too bad.

Here is a link https://www.calcarcover.com/product/...tion-film/1218
Thanks Don, for the link...ordered a set.

Ron
Old 06-29-2019, 05:51 PM   #14

When I bought the MX-5 as a toad, I also purchased a 16', tandem axle car hauling trailer. When I considered the cost of the braking system, tow bar, and having someone remove the front of the car to hook-up the frame brackets and then put the car back together, the $2,400 for the trailer seemed like a decent trade-off. 12,000 miles of towing the car on the trailer and ZERO rock dings.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, vent, wind, windshield