Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:39 AM   #15
I installed the Ready Brute Elite with the surge brake and a Blue Ox base plate and a Mopar wiring harness in my 2015 Jeep Wrangle Rubicon and it worked great. All total cost me $1400. Easy install and simple operation. The Ready Brute Elite us a great tow bar.

georgew48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2016, 09:56 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by mtnfan View Post
I got a quote from a dealer in Albuquerque for a Blue Ox set up for my rig.

2015 Winnebago Sightseer and 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2 door.

Cost for base plate, brake system and tow bar all installed for $4600. Seems pricey to me. Thoughts from my fellow RVrs, please. Thanks.
I put about $3000.00 installed for a complete system with roadmaster base plate and tow bar with an SMI braking system along with a light bar for the hitch receiver.

Seems a little high if you asked me.

Tom & Denise N
2016 Winnebago Forza 36G Freightliner XS-C, Cummins 340HP, 2011 Ford Edge
Uniontown, OH
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:36 AM   #17

Albuquerque is a pretty large area - why not get an estimate from a different vendor? Also you might try a local welding or muffler shop. Around here they do tow & base plate installations.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:21 AM   #18
I agree, you need to provide a breakdown of the parts and what all is being installed. The basic baseplate, towbar, and lighting stuff you can look up the costs of these pieces. The big variable is the brake system. As several have pointed out, if you can do the install yourself it can save considerable out of pocket costs. Baseplate is really the only thing that could cause troubles, depends on your vehicle and how much hassle to install.

Provide us with the details and then you can get opinions on the costs.
2005 Kenworth Showhauler truck conversion.
. 44 ft, Cummins ISX15 450 hp, 10 speed, twin screw
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:56 PM   #19
Winnebago Owners Club
Not an answer or comment on the topic, but a question. I bought a 2000 Suzuki vitara here in Phoenix and plan to drive it back to Minnesota in a few weeks. I thought it may be more convenient to get it rigged up for towing here, i.e. bigger city, more competition for the business, etc. Any ideas on who in the area would be good to check pricing with, timetable to install, etc. Thanks.
sask66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:00 PM   #20
fwiw latest Campingworld flyer has a Roadmaster falcon2 tow bar, accessory kit, base plate with install for just over $1,700. Bake system would be more additional.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:24 PM   #21
I don't know if they do that type of work but we have used D&R Family RV in Glendale, (623) 842-1265.
Sue and Tom

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:26 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
I just recieved a quote for basically the same set up - mine included a Blue Ox base plate, M & G brake system with breakaway kit (extra for M&G) and a light kit for $2900 installs. If I want to add a tow bar, it would be additional $900. I already have a tow bar.

This is through a Freightliner Custom Chassis Dealer who is also a Ford dealer, I have a 2015 F150 - so I like the fact it is all in one house.

I took time to visit the Ford dealer I am thinking of having do the work (about 40 miles away). I was impressed with the shop and techs, clean and squared away.

I sat and spoke with the Service Manager for quite awhile, I found out he has been at this dealership for 36 years and came away not feeling..............stupid - if that makes sense. He is very accommodating.

To the point where I will order all the Blue Ox parts, most likely through RVUpgrades.com. Good prices, no shipping. I know what I need and will call Blue Ox to ensure my list is complete. I will order the brake system from M & G.

Ford charges $125 per hour labor. The one thing I failed to ask the dealership was how long the complete job is expected to take. From what I have read here on iRV2 and the online installation guides for the base plate and brake system, seems about 5 hours should be very generous.

We'll see..............

Angie & Glenn, and the boss: Haddington the Airedale
2017 Newmar Canyon Star 40', FMCA, NKK - Home based in the Heartland of America: Brownsburg, In 🌽🌽 🏁 Retired Army Sergeant Major
My home town: Brooklyn, New York
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:14 AM   #23
Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks. Will check both suggestions out.

sask66 is offline   Reply With Quote