Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:29 AM   #15

I hAte to burst your bubble, but no ford escape can be towed four down. how do I know this I have a 2014 escape and ford said you need a lube pump for tranny to be able to two it four down. I use a tow dolly for mine. im willing to bet the warranty wont cover it if they know you towed it that way. sorry for the bad news but that's life

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2015, 06:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand108 View Post
I hAte to burst your bubble, but no ford escape can be towed four down. how do I know this I have a 2014 escape and ford said you need a lube pump for tranny to be able to two it four down. I use a tow dolly for mine. im willing to bet the warranty wont cover it if they know you towed it that way. sorry for the bad news but that's life

Yes every hybrid escape (2005-2012) IS flat towable...they have a unique transmission

Old 06-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
To the best of my research - there are no transmission add-on pumps available for the new Escapes (2013 - ). I have checked with Ford, REMCO and others.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:10 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was just about to trade in my Prius for a AWD Escape and pay a left toe to have it rigged for flat towing. However, time ran out before I was to leave on my scheduled trip, so I ended up purchasing an Acme EZTow dolly.

I'm very glad, because I too could not get a definitive answer for the Hybrid AWD Escape that I was going to purchase.

During my said scheduled trip into the Eastern High Sierras, at the very first rest stop, (near June Lake off Highway 395), there was a 2013 Hybrid AWD Escape badly smoking from the transmission being flat towed by a DP. That was the model and year I was looking for based on the Dinghy Towing Guide for 2013 that said the hybrid could be flat towed.

It turns out that I have been very happy pulling my Prius on the dolly, and may only need to reconsider flat towing if I can ever get a definitive answer, (and witness some examples and testimonials), on the Lincoln MKZ Hybrid.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post

During my said scheduled trip into the Eastern High Sierras, at the very first rest stop, (near June Lake off Highway 395), there was a 2013 Hybrid AWD Escape badly smoking from the transmission being flat towed by a DP. That was the model and year I was looking for based on the Dinghy Towing Guide for 2013 that said the hybrid could be flat towed.

2012 was the last year a hybrid Escape was produced.

2013 is the newer body style, and no hybrid drive-trains exist for this model. 2013 introduced the C-Max hybrid to replace the escape hybrids of the past.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:17 AM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
UPDATE: After a problem with a bent frame member on the 2008 Escape Hybrid AWD we were trying to rig for flat-tow I started looking at all the models that the plate already ordered would fit (2008 - 2012). When I downloaded the 2012 owners manual I see that the Recreational Towing section has now been rewritten to say "AWD models should NEVER be towed on a tow dolly". The 2008 was silent on that point. We ended up trading the Escape in on a 2015 Chevy Equinox FWD which we are going to put on a dolly.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncaMike View Post
UPDATE: After a problem with a bent frame member on the 2008 Escape Hybrid AWD we were trying to rig for flat-tow I started looking at all the models that the plate already ordered would fit (2008 - 2012). When I downloaded the 2012 owners manual I see that the Recreational Towing section has now been rewritten to say "AWD models should NEVER be towed on a tow dolly". The 2008 was silent on that point. We ended up trading the Escape in on a 2015 Chevy Equinox FWD which we are going to put on a dolly.
AWD should either be all up or all down. Putting half on a dolly would be bad.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:58 PM   #22

After the service manager told us it would take 1 or maybe 2 weeks to get another transmission for our Escape we left the our toad in Mountain Home, Idaho...Two and a half weeks later he called to let me know it was ready to pick up. I had purchased the extended warranty when we bought the car and it paid off. When we arrived yesterday to pick the car he handed me the keys and a zero balance receipt. I set the cruise on 60 all the way home. He did tell me I could purchase an Auxiliary trans fluid pump for $3600.00. Does the Spending ever end?
Old 07-19-2015, 08:32 PM   #23

Interesting! Ford dealer just assured me that both Focus and Fiesta auto are flat towable from their service website. Automatic and manual
Old 07-19-2015, 08:38 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
you are correct. I think the new escape is about the only thing from Ford that cannot be flat towed
Old 09-15-2015, 12:52 PM   #25

Need guidance on how to deal with Ford

Greeting all,
New to site and am looking for help with our transmission issue with Ford on our 2010 Ford Escape. We are currently having the second transmission installed as I write but in discussing with Ford they say they can do noting to address the bigger problem. We have exhausted our 5 year 60,000 power train warranty but this new transmission is covered outer our extended watt antsy (ESP).
We are being told that once our ESP runs out that Ford will walk away. Hard to believe that is the case. Can anyone give us some guidance on how to deal with Ford to get there attention. We plan on continuing to tow this vehicle.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:46 PM   #26

Are you completely against getting a lube pump? Seems like that would solve your issue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1442346392.356692.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	106979
Old 09-15-2015, 03:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pairofslacks View Post
We have exhausted our 5 year 60,000 power train warranty but this new transmission is covered outer our extended watt antsy (ESP).
We are being told that once our ESP runs out that Ford will walk away. Hard to believe that is the case. Can anyone give us some guidance on how to deal with Ford to get there attention. We plan on continuing to tow this vehicle.
Welcome to iRV2
If Ford has covered the vehicle to the end of the warranty period, then they will probably not give any extensions or consideration to covering it further.
How ever if the owners manual states that the vehicle could be flat towed, then you may have a case, and could check around for any class action suits started against Ford for your issue.
However , when Honda had a problem with cam shaft timing belts failing and destroying their engines, before the service interval, they simply contacted owners by registered mail , stating the interval was changed, and got themselves out of a nasty situation. If pressured Ford may do the same , rather than supply modified transmissions that would work when towed.

Tags
ford, tow, towing