Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-23-2015, 05:29 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
coolhand108's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: white springs florida
Posts: 203
I hAte to burst your bubble, but no ford escape can be towed four down. how do I know this I have a 2014 escape and ford said you need a lube pump for tranny to be able to two it four down. I use a tow dolly for mine. im willing to bet the warranty wont cover it if they know you towed it that way. sorry for the bad news but that's life
__________________

__________________
2004 dsdp 4009 isl 370 cummins on a Spartan mountain master chassis
coolhand108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2015, 06:01 AM   #16
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand108 View Post
I hAte to burst your bubble, but no ford escape can be towed four down. how do I know this I have a 2014 escape and ford said you need a lube pump for tranny to be able to two it four down. I use a tow dolly for mine. im willing to bet the warranty wont cover it if they know you towed it that way. sorry for the bad news but that's life

Yes every hybrid escape (2005-2012) IS flat towable...they have a unique transmission
__________________

__________________
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
bobkatgifts's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Lake Wales, FL
Posts: 112
To the best of my research - there are no transmission add-on pumps available for the new Escapes (2013 - ). I have checked with Ford, REMCO and others.
__________________
bobkatgifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:10 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 758
I was just about to trade in my Prius for a AWD Escape and pay a left toe to have it rigged for flat towing. However, time ran out before I was to leave on my scheduled trip, so I ended up purchasing an Acme EZTow dolly.

I'm very glad, because I too could not get a definitive answer for the Hybrid AWD Escape that I was going to purchase.

During my said scheduled trip into the Eastern High Sierras, at the very first rest stop, (near June Lake off Highway 395), there was a 2013 Hybrid AWD Escape badly smoking from the transmission being flat towed by a DP. That was the model and year I was looking for based on the Dinghy Towing Guide for 2013 that said the hybrid could be flat towed.

It turns out that I have been very happy pulling my Prius on the dolly, and may only need to reconsider flat towing if I can ever get a definitive answer, (and witness some examples and testimonials), on the Lincoln MKZ Hybrid.
__________________
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:19 PM   #19
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post

During my said scheduled trip into the Eastern High Sierras, at the very first rest stop, (near June Lake off Highway 395), there was a 2013 Hybrid AWD Escape badly smoking from the transmission being flat towed by a DP. That was the model and year I was looking for based on the Dinghy Towing Guide for 2013 that said the hybrid could be flat towed.

2012 was the last year a hybrid Escape was produced.

2013 is the newer body style, and no hybrid drive-trains exist for this model. 2013 introduced the C-Max hybrid to replace the escape hybrids of the past.
__________________
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:17 AM   #20
Junior Member
 
UncaMike's Avatar
 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 11
UPDATE: After a problem with a bent frame member on the 2008 Escape Hybrid AWD we were trying to rig for flat-tow I started looking at all the models that the plate already ordered would fit (2008 - 2012). When I downloaded the 2012 owners manual I see that the Recreational Towing section has now been rewritten to say "AWD models should NEVER be towed on a tow dolly". The 2008 was silent on that point. We ended up trading the Escape in on a 2015 Chevy Equinox FWD which we are going to put on a dolly.
__________________
UncaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:41 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
mjeffrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncaMike View Post
UPDATE: After a problem with a bent frame member on the 2008 Escape Hybrid AWD we were trying to rig for flat-tow I started looking at all the models that the plate already ordered would fit (2008 - 2012). When I downloaded the 2012 owners manual I see that the Recreational Towing section has now been rewritten to say "AWD models should NEVER be towed on a tow dolly". The 2008 was silent on that point. We ended up trading the Escape in on a 2015 Chevy Equinox FWD which we are going to put on a dolly.
AWD should either be all up or all down. Putting half on a dolly would be bad.
__________________
-- Jeffrey and Maren
2011 Winnebago Journey 40U
Ford Escape Hybrid with Blue OX, Air Force One and TST
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:58 PM   #22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 6
After the service manager told us it would take 1 or maybe 2 weeks to get another transmission for our Escape we left the our toad in Mountain Home, Idaho...Two and a half weeks later he called to let me know it was ready to pick up. I had purchased the extended warranty when we bought the car and it paid off. When we arrived yesterday to pick the car he handed me the keys and a zero balance receipt. I set the cruise on 60 all the way home. He did tell me I could purchase an Auxiliary trans fluid pump for $3600.00. Does the Spending ever end?
__________________
Marv Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:32 PM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 67
Interesting! Ford dealer just assured me that both Focus and Fiesta auto are flat towable from their service website. Automatic and manual
__________________
FapInJax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:38 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
bobkatgifts's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Lake Wales, FL
Posts: 112
you are correct. I think the new escape is about the only thing from Ford that cannot be flat towed
__________________
bobkatgifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:52 PM   #25
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1
Need guidance on how to deal with Ford

Greeting all,
New to site and am looking for help with our transmission issue with Ford on our 2010 Ford Escape. We are currently having the second transmission installed as I write but in discussing with Ford they say they can do noting to address the bigger problem. We have exhausted our 5 year 60,000 power train warranty but this new transmission is covered outer our extended watt antsy (ESP).
We are being told that once our ESP runs out that Ford will walk away. Hard to believe that is the case. Can anyone give us some guidance on how to deal with Ford to get there attention. We plan on continuing to tow this vehicle.
__________________
pairofslacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:46 PM   #26
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,286
Are you completely against getting a lube pump? Seems like that would solve your issue.


Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1442346392.356692.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	106979
__________________
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 03:20 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Skip426's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Powell River, B.C.
Posts: 14,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by pairofslacks View Post
We have exhausted our 5 year 60,000 power train warranty but this new transmission is covered outer our extended watt antsy (ESP).
We are being told that once our ESP runs out that Ford will walk away. Hard to believe that is the case. Can anyone give us some guidance on how to deal with Ford to get there attention. We plan on continuing to tow this vehicle.
Welcome to iRV2
If Ford has covered the vehicle to the end of the warranty period, then they will probably not give any extensions or consideration to covering it further.
How ever if the owners manual states that the vehicle could be flat towed, then you may have a case, and could check around for any class action suits started against Ford for your issue.
However , when Honda had a problem with cam shaft timing belts failing and destroying their engines, before the service interval, they simply contacted owners by registered mail , stating the interval was changed, and got themselves out of a nasty situation. If pressured Ford may do the same , rather than supply modified transmissions that would work when towed.
__________________

__________________
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ford, tow, towing



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford transmission oil pump 2011 Ford Escape bill2011 Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 29 11-22-2014 06:29 PM
Towing a 2012-2013 Ford Focus automatic tim fm ct Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 27 07-02-2014 12:11 AM
Towing a Ford F250 Super Duty Scottybdivin Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 37 12-27-2013 07:54 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.