Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:34 PM   #1

Problem Towing Ford Escape

We flat-towed our 2011 Ford Escape Limited well over 3000 miles with no issues last fall. Today its in the Ford shop with burned up tranny on the first day of our trip! (It was record high 99 degrees; we didnt go over 65mph.) What's with that? Ford dealer, Ford service tech and car Manual said nothing about needing tow dolly or lube pump modification. Our extended warranty better cover this... Just wanted to warn others.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2015, 06:46 PM   #2

Without all the info on your Escape , I did some guessing on FWD and V-6, and the Remco web site came up with , lube pump available and a warning to check with Ford, about flat tow.

http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/Store.php

Old 06-10-2015, 07:04 PM   #3

FWIW Here is the towing guide for that year:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...ng%20Guide.pdf

I had to down load it to read it. Maximum tow speed 65 mph. AWD/4WD cannot be on a dolly.

FWIW I assume it has to be in neutral. Could it have been knocked into gear?
Old 06-10-2015, 10:24 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ford Escape 2010 tranny problems

Ford Escape Owners manual for Front 2 wheel drive states you can flat tow, do not exceed 65 miles per hour. Just burnt my second tranny yesterday. Guess I am slow to learn. I think Ford should held responsible for false advertising, it is the reason I bought the Escape being a Ford fan at one time.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:21 AM   #5

Sounds like why I will keep using a tow dolly. ;-)
Old 06-12-2015, 06:54 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford listed the Escapes with the 6F35 transmission as 4-down towable from 2009-2011, but many tranny failures were reported. In 2012 they withdrew the 4-down OK and state a lube pump is required. I don't know if Ford is doing anything about their mistaken info on the 2009-2011 models, but I would make a formal request for compensation and see how it goes. Squeaky wheels get greased sooner, right?
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:55 AM   #7

IF it was rated @ 65 MPH maximum to tow I have to wonder how many people with toasted transmissions can prove they stayed under 65. Given comments in another thread and personal observation watching folks blow by me I bet most of them towed at significantly higher speeds.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:44 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
IF it was rated @ 65 MPH maximum to tow I have to wonder how many people with toasted transmissions can prove they stayed under 65. Given comments in another thread and personal observation watching folks blow by me I bet most of them towed at significantly higher speeds.
How many of the folks blowing by you were pulling a 2011 Ford Escape?
Old 06-14-2015, 08:30 AM   #9

I can't say how many were pulling Escapes. We were counting people using a dolly because we had a 2012 on one. Escapes in general seemed fairly popular. ;-)
Old 06-14-2015, 08:46 AM   #10

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Sounds like why I will keep using a tow dolly. ;-)
+ 1
Old 06-15-2015, 06:53 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2013 and newer Ford Escapes

We bought a 2015 Escape before we realized that Ford no longer supports flat towing on that car. Reason: towing kept burning transmissions. I checked with Ford and was told they do not offer a tranny pump or driveshaft disconnect for the new Escapes. Even though after-market pumps may be available - it would probably void the new car warranty. What about drive dis-connects? Does anyone know if they are available for the new Escapes? Thanks for your input.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatgifts View Post
. What about drive dis-connects? Does anyone know if they are available for the new Escapes? Thanks for your input.
No, they are not available. The Edge is the smallest SUV from Ford that's 4-down towable.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:12 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
No, they are not available. The Edge is the smallest SUV from Ford that's 4-down towable.
My bad for not FULLY researching the tow-abilty of the new Escapes before purchasing it.
Surprising enough - the wife traded in her Cadillac SRX to get the Escape. The SRX is flat-towable. . Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed. LOL
Old 06-23-2015, 02:19 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Getting a definitive answer can be maddening. For instance, the 2008 Ford Escape owners manual states that a FWD model must be towed on a dolly; while the AWD model is NOT allowed to be flat-towed. HOWEVER, the 2008 Ford Escape HYBRID owners manual totally contradicts that and says that both the FWD model and the 4WD model can be flat-towed as long as the tranny is in Neutral. Maddening part is that there IS NO 4WD model of Hybrid. The hybrid's are AWD with the Continuously Variable Trannys. ARRRGH!!

Tags
ford, tow, towing