Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2018, 09:26 PM   #1

Problems with 2006 Chev Colorado after replacing battery

Last week I had a new battery installed in my 2006 Colorado PU and when I got home now the driver's electric window doesn't work and the other 3 doors won't unlock with the fob or switch on the control panel. The driver's door was unlocked and it won't lock now.
Nothing like this happened 6 years ago with a new battery.

Any ideas what might have happened, and how to correct it? When I first discovered the window wouldn't work I assumed the window motor went south. But when I tried to unlock the rear doors I then discovered I couldn't lock the driver's door for the night either.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2018, 08:01 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Try a forced reset of the ECU and BCU. Disconnect the new battery, touch the positive and negative battery cables tougher for 10 - 20 minuets. reconnect and turn on ignition.
If that doesn't work you may have to seek out a shop that can flash relearn the RAM of the BCM.
Some times removing the battery without a backup can cause a data com loss, always have a battery backup to avoid problems like this.

Some models have a switch relearn I will look to see if yours does and post ASAP.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:57 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I had a 06 GMC Canyon and it does the same thing, after you drive it awhile it straightins out. Gave the truck to my grandson and he just replaced the battery and it did the same thing. Said he drove it for 20 miles and everything ok now.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:34 PM   #4

Thanks to both of you. I will try driving first since that will be the simpliest, then disconnect the battery if that doesn't work.

Sure hope these will work since the Chev dealer says to start with it will be a $60 diagnostic charge plus any parts and labor. I could just see a $400-$500 bill facing me.

At first I was about ready to tear into the door panel to replace the window motor, then I realized the door locks weren't working either so it must be something more than just a motor.

Will let you know tomorrow as it's storming right now and looking even darker down south.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:32 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Yea I tried disconnecting the batt for a couple hours but didn't work. Just driving it seemed to bring it back to normal.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:55 PM   #6

Just setting and running the engine doesn't seem to help does it? Hopefully this storming will subside tomorrow so I can drive out the highway a few miles and back. Had to tape up the driver's window since it was down 5-6 inches and wouldn't go up or down and with the storm forecasted.
I had replaced my 6 year old battery Wednesday since I had to drive 110 miles to the big city for a MRI on my prostate and wanted to be sure the battery wouldn't leave me stuck someplace. Then this happened that same evening and I had to drive our Jeep Wrangler instead, and the 30-40 MPH south headwind didn't help the journey any either. Was nice coasting back north to home that evening though.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:41 PM   #7

Took a 30 minute drive this morning, and still the same problem. Driver's window still doesn't work and neither do any of the electric door locks.

Guess next try will be disconnecting the battery, but a little apprehensive about that since that was what started all the problems.

O'Reillys says the door switch panel has shorted during the re-connection of the battery cables and will need replacing. Only $247 for that. Doors and windows are on the same switch panel together.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:58 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Boy that sucks. Like I said it happened twice on my canyon and both time it came back to normal after driving it. And it was just like you said, drivers window and door lock didn't work. I really don't think it is the switches but then again who knows, this electronic stuff can some times be baffling.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bborc View Post
Boy that sucks. Like I said it happened twice on my canyon and both time it came back to normal after driving it. And it was just like you said, drivers window and door lock didn't work. I really don't think it is the switches but then again who knows, this electronic stuff can some times be baffling.
Didn't think to ask O'Reillys why it should be the switches when the other 3 door windows work, only the driver's doesn't, but still the other 3 doors don't unlock.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:57 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
There are also problems with those models with ground wires in the engine compartment. If I remember correctly on the pass side inner wheel well there is one wire that sits under a plastic cap the can corrode its is just held in with a sheet medal screw and I think there is one on the drivers side also. They are both grounds that can effect the body control modular.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:39 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Guess next try will be disconnecting the battery, but a little apprehensive about that since that was what started all the problems.

O'Reillys says the door switch panel has shorted during the re-connection of the battery cables and will need replacing. Only $247 for that. Doors and windows are on the same switch panel together.
Don't forget to touch the cables together, that dissipates the capacitors in the modules. (Forced relearn.)

O'Rrillys is wrong. There is no way the door window module could "short out" from a battery swap.

Here is a link for the long version forced relearn you can try.
SOLVED: Power door locks and driver side power window not - Fixya
Old 03-22-2018, 07:27 PM   #12

well so far I've tried everything except removing the window & door lock controller in the driver's door, which I'm not sure what or where that is referring to. The small panel on the driver's arm rest that has all the switches in it?

I've been driving around, including an 11 mile drive up the highway and back, a couple of short 1 mile trips here in town, and also removing the battery cables, connecting the two cables for a few minutes, then re-connecting them, but so far nothing has helped the problem.

One comment was to just drive around for a few months and the problem disappeared. That would work fine except my driver's window is down 5-6 inches so have to keep it all taped up in case of wind or rain.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:32 PM   #13

I've tried the 10 step link in GraySeal's post above here twice now and still no help.
The first eight steps work fine but when it gets to 9 there's no sound from the door lock solenoids and the window and doors lock still don't work.
Maybe O'Reillys is closer to being right about the door lock/window controller needs replacing.
I was hoping this wasn't the solution since that unit sells for $247.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:15 PM   #14

How many owners of 2005 or 2006 Colorado P U s with the driver's window and all door locks not working finally had to go to a shop for repairs after trying all the above solutions with no results?

I've tried everything except driving around for several months and gotten no results. Hate to have to go to the local Chevrolet dealer but may have to since I'm going to need the truck in a week and a half for a day long drive.

Tags
battery, colorado, ems, problems