Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
DKO

Procedure For Securing Car In Trailer

I bought a 2006 Scion Xb to pull behind the bus. It's a neat little rig with plenty of room inside.
It will be riding inside my trailer this summer with the first trip in two days. Any hints on the proper procedure for strapping it down?
I would love to use bolted down wheel chocks or wheel straps but neither is practical at this time.
I am planning to use heavy duty truckers ratchets.
Should the manual transmission be in first gear?
Should the emergency brake be on?
Should I crank the ratchets as tight as I can get them?
FYI the floor of trailer is diamond plate.
Thanks in advance for your help.
DKO

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #2

Is this a fully enclosed or open trailer?
Where are your tie-down spots?
Using just straps and ratchets?

Please add more information and maybe a photo of inside of trailer....

Old 05-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
German torque is the best way.......Gutentight
Old 05-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Are there 'D' rings in place for securing car to the trailer?
Old 05-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #5

as low as that thing is you are going to have a few issues no matter what you do. Tow hooks in the front are probably OK as Toyota puts them there, at the rear, you'll probably have to go around the beam. You want a shallow angle to keep the car from moving about.

Go to Mac's tie downs - he has tire net kits with rollers to get the ratchet out from under low vehicles.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
if your going to be doing this regularly
i would suggest as we do and use tire straps that attach to a track in the floor,see pic of our car hauler deck
e-track is the brand name, it holds the tires down and the car is allowed to use its suspension so it doesn't jar and damage lighter frames and attachment points

tractor supply and etrailer carry both the decking rail and assorted tiedowns, I also us

Autohauler Supply - wheel straps, cluster chains, height sticks, graphite they have EVERYTHING for hauling cars and trucks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Auto hauler10.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	21511  
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #7

Use two HEAVY DUTY automotive (NOT Home Depot type) ratchets on both ends. (Redundancy...) Hook one each to the tie down hooks for and aft. They may be hidden behind plastic covers. Those hooks secured the car on its boat/train ride from wherever it was made. Loop the rear strap around the beam axle underneath. Loop the front around the beefiest "frame" member you find. Try NOT to loop it around a suspension component, or the front anti-roll bar. If you want to be trick like us racers, cross the straps to eliminate side to side motion.

Should take all of two minutes to secure it once you figure out the strap points.

Car MUST be in NEUTRAL to avoid transmission trashing. Other than that, you're good to go.

That's about it. No need to make it uber-complicated...
Old 05-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #8
DKO

Thanks.
Trailer is enclosed and it has good strapping points in the floor just in front and behind car.
Rear points on the car are easy to see and reach. Looks like the brackets are specifically made for hooking on to for strapping down.
The front won't be so easy. Everything underneath is covered by a plate. Wheel straps would be best but no place to hook them. Perhaps I could mount the etrack in the future.

DKO
Old 05-24-2012, 11:50 PM   #9
DKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr
if your going to be doing this regularly
i would suggest as we do and use tire straps that attach to a track in the floor,see pic of our car hauler deck
e-track is the brand name, it holds the tires down and the car is allowed to use its suspension so it doesn't jar and damage lighter frames and attachment points

tractor supply and etrailer carry both the decking rail and assorted tiedowns, I also us

Autohauler Supply - wheel straps, cluster chains, height sticks, graphite they have EVERYTHING for hauling cars and trucks
This link is great. Thank you!
DKO
Old 07-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
DKO

Update

I have had trouble strapping down vehicles in trailers from the very first time I tried it. It does not matter how tight I strap it down they dance sideways on me. Last year I even broke good ratchet straps because I had them so tight. The little green machine is only 2,400 lbs and I still could not keep it from moving.

I kept asking and searching until Powerboatr post this LINK. These people have everything you can think of and a whole bunch of things I could never imagine.

This is a picture from their website. I ordered four of these to strap down the car in the trailer. A regular wheel strap would not work because of the low clearance on the car but these are perfect.

I installed the etrack...

We pulled the car in and strapped it down..

I have pulled the trailer with the car strapped in with these for over 560 miles over some pretty rough interstate and the car has not moved and inch that I can see. It sure looks like I have found a solution.

DKO