Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2010, 09:06 PM   #1

proportional systems

What is the best proportional brake system to install? I had a Blue OX instant on system that malfunctioned and ruined $800 worth of tires on my toad by dragging them to death with the tow system on full brake. I want a good tow vehicle brake system, but not a full on full off system.

Anne
exqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I had a JunqueMaster Evenbrake system to begin with and it cost me big time to replace both front rotors and brake pads on a new truck. I've installed an M&G brake system and it's been perfect for 2 and a half years. No electronics to go bad, it is proportional, it's foolproof and hooks up in 5 seconds.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:23 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm not sure about "best" but we've had the Roadmaster Brakemaster system installed in two different toad over 5 years and haven't had any problems, brake parts wear out or otherwise. Unfortunately, you don't have any information about your RV in your profile so I'm not sure that the Brakemaster is the best fit for your situation.

The Brakemaster system taps into the rear air brake loop on the MH, running a 1/4" line back to the toad. The harder I step on the MH brake pedal, the more toad braking I get. If I don't step on the brake pedal, the Brakemaster system doesn't brake, and that includes when I turn on the MH's exhaust brake. There is a feedback light, hooked to the cold side of the toad's brake pedal that tells me that the pedal is being depressed. That light is on the MH dash. There is a breakaway system which holds a cannister of air in the toad in case it is separated from the MH. The pin is pulled and the toad's brakes will come on full. I periodically test that function by pulling the breakaway pin.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:29 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
I'm not sure about "best" but we've had the Roadmaster Brakemaster system installed in two different toad over 5 years and haven't had any problems, brake parts wear out or otherwise. Unfortunately, you don't have any information about your RV in your profile so I'm not sure that the Brakemaster is the best fit for your situation.
Same here. Five years and running on the Roadmaster Brakemaster system.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:01 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I use the US Gear Unified Tow Brake on my Wrangler Unlimited and love it. It has break away feature and charges the toad battery. Also, check out M&G and SMI all very good systems.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:05 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm using the Even Brake and haven't noticed any problems; anyone had problems with this system?
JBroadaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:14 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1000 View Post
I use the US Gear Unified Tow Brake on my Wrangler Unlimited and love it. It has break away feature and charges the toad battery. Also, check out M&G and SMI all very good systems.

I don't have a Wrangler (Would not mind one) but second the vote for the US Gear system.. Of all the ones I've looked at this one came out on top as the best.

And I looked at nearly all of them

The "Box" systems like the Even Brake or Brake Buddy. Many folks say they like them because they do not need to be installed and thus can be quickly transfered to a new towed... NOT TRUE

They have to be installed EVERY TIME YOU TOW
(Just the install is a bit easier)

This makes it easy to say "Oh, I'm only going a few miles I don't need it" and... Then wishing you'd not said that a few miles/2 later.

With the US gear.. takes longer to say "I don't need it" than it does to plug it in.. cause that is all you do to hookup/unhook... System is transparant to the driver of the towed even though it remains in place.

Plus I have hard wired control over my towed equal to what my brother has over his towed..... His rig is plated for 160,000 pounds and hauls steel all over the country.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:38 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I did a lot of research and having a new Jeep Wrangler 4 door Toad and a 35' Fleetwood Bounder I went with the Stay-in-Play from SMI and couldn't be happier.

Currently in Destin, Fl from Indiana on our 1st trip with the new unit installed and this thing is awesome! It works great, takes the heaviness off of the motorhome pedal and gives you the security you need!

Not knocking the competition, but SMI is the way to go in my opinion. There quality of product, communication with customer service and fit and finish is great.

Happy shopping.

BounderFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Anne,
This is another vote for the USGEAR system. 5 years and 59K miles and it works as advertised. One plug connection is about as easy as it gets. Go to U.S. Gear RV Performance Products and read about the product. I also installed TOAD-CHARGE Dinghy Vehicle Battery Charger/Maintainer to ensure the toad battery remains fully charged.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote