Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2010, 12:47 AM   #15
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here's another satisfied Jeep Liberty owner - I know there's quite a few that have them as toads since we always see a couple when we camped.

NLOVNIT - bullseye shot on the pros and the cons....
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2010, 10:13 PM   #16

Paul in Beautiful Downtown Bakersfield's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Check out the Jeep website and you can download the Liberty users manual which shows that you can only flat tow a 4 wheel drive Liberty.

I tow a 2008 Grand Cherokee for the last year and it is great. The only difference I see in the 2011 Liberty flat tow instructions is the Liberty requires that you disconnect the negative battery cable for towing. This complicates things if you have a Brake Buddy that you need to plug in.

I have the opportunity to pick up an '08 Grand Cherokee with full-time four wheel drive (automatic) at a really good price. I haven't done a lot of studying yet, but from your post, it looks like I can flat tow it with no modifications?

Currently, I have an '05 Dodge Grand Caravan with a Remco Lube Pump. Everything works well and it tows well, but I'm pushing 160,000 miles on it and thinking of upgrading.

Any thoughts?

thank you

2016 Thor Tuscany 40GQ
Paul in Beautiful Downtown Bakersfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:58 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
While you are waiting for a real answer, I will offer this.

We bought a 2006 Grand Cherokee (in 2008). When we were researching the towing 4-down subject, we were informed by the salesman that in order to be towed the model needed the "Trail Rated" badge on the driver side fender. That may very well, still be the case. We were also told that in that year, the engine needed to be a V-8 in order to have a transfer case that could be put in neutral.

That, of course, may be different with newer models.

We have been happy with the towability of the Cherokee, although we have only towed it about 5 times, with the maximum single trip miles of about 1000 miles.

It is easy to put in neutral with a push of a special button, and the Jeep doesnt require any special procedures like stopping every "x number" of miles and starting the engine, as some do.

I installed the Roadmaster tow brackets for the Jeep myself, and found it fairly simple and straight forward with Roadmasters instructions. The front grille and bumper of the Jeep sort of snap in and out with few fastners. I did have an RV shop install the brake light wiring and necessary light diodes, since that seemed a little more complicated.

As you my know, Jeeps are popular tow vehicles... there are a bunch of them out there...
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:27 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Beautiful Downtown Bakersfield View Post
I have the opportunity to pick up an '08 Grand Cherokee with full-time four wheel drive (automatic) at a really good price. I haven't done a lot of studying yet, but from your post, it looks like I can flat tow it with no modifications?

Currently, I have an '05 Dodge Grand Caravan with a Remco Lube Pump. Everything works well and it tows well, but I'm pushing 160,000 miles on it and thinking of upgrading.

Any thoughts?

thank you
The Quadra-Trac II and Quadra-Drive II systems are towable. The Quadra-Trac I is not. Make sure it's the right one. We have the Quadra-Drive II and it's silly simple to use. There is nothing to disconnect. You just put the transfer case in neutral and remove the key...that's it. You access neutral with a small button within the button for high and low range. It's one you might use a pen to press.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:27 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
The reason that Jeep said to disconnect the negative teminal was that you need to turn the key to the first position to unlock the steering wheel and you don't want to drain the battery. There is alot of parasitic drain with all of the computers, etc. As long as you have the type II four wheel drive system as kjburns said, there is no steering wheel lock with the automatic transmission. You can confirm this at the dealer by turning the steering wheel without the key. Its harder without the power steering, but it shows there isn't a steering wheel lock.

With that established, you do not need to disconnect the battery. I've towed my 2008 Liberty for thousands of miles without the key in the ignition or the battery disconnected.

MAKE SURE THAT IT IS THE QUADRA-DRIVE OR QUADRA-TRACK TYPE II FOUR WHEEL DRIVE SYSTEM AND THAT IT IS AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. I don't know about the stick shift or Libertys older than my 2008.

It is a great tow vehicle.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 08-31-2010, 09:03 AM   #20

The best bet is to contact a Jeep Dealer. I have a 2008 Grand Cherokee with a V8, it has the Quadra-Trac II. but also has Electronic Limited Slip Differentials. This model can be towed 4 wheels down as it has a Neutral transfer case position. My model may not be Towed on a Dolly due to the Limited Slip.
According to my Owners Manual the Quadra-Trac I 4WD (base model) does Not have the Neutral Transfer Case position so Recreational Towing is Not Allowed.
By the way the Two Wheel Drive models must have the drive shaft disconnected to be able to Tow (I don't know of anyone who bought the Two Wheel Drive Model, or if any were actually made).
Robert