Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2010, 08:54 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pros & Cons of towing a Jeep Liberty

We are looking to tow a Jeep Liberty and would like input from those that currently, or have in the past, towed one. We will we using it as fulltimers.

Bill
Mr_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Pros:
4WD automatic can be towed 4-down w/no restrictions (no fuses to pull, no speed limits, no having to stop every so many hours to run the engine).
If it gets dirty from towing behind, IT'S A JEEP, it's supposed to get dirty
You can pick up a used one at a much more reasonable price than a new one (also you don't feel so bad if the used one gets a rock chip)

Cons:
Kind of heavy (although still under 5000 lbs) due to beefed up suspension
Stiff ride, again, due to beefed up suspension
Tail lights are hard to see, when on & hooked up through connection w/coach running lights, during daylight hours. Braking lights are fine, though. I'd suggest replacing bulbs wLED for more visibility when driving down the road or attaching a separate set of bar tow lights.

Ours tows like a dream behind our Bounder. Tracks great & we really don't even know it's there. I recommend a Jeep for a toad.

Oh, & I'd also suggest you have a "dummy key" made up for in the ignition. The dummy key, will allow the ignition/steering to be unlocked for towing, but it won't allow the Jeep to get stolen if someone unhooks it & tries to break in & steal it. The dummy key will only allow the engine to briefly start, then it shuts down the engine because it doesn't have the chip inside that signals to the vehicle's computer that it's a valid key. You can then manually lock the Jeep from inside & shut the door or use the chip'd fob (which you keep w/you) to lock it. Don't lock the Jeep w/the chip'd fob inside - you're hozed then & will have to call AAA.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:07 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Check out the Jeep website and you can download the Liberty users manual which shows that you can only flat tow a 4 wheel drive Liberty.

I tow a 2008 Grand Cherokee for the last year and it is great. The only difference I see in the 2011 Liberty flat tow instructions is the Liberty requires that you disconnect the negative battery cable for towing. This complicates things if you have a Brake Buddy that you need to plug in.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We also tow a Grand Cherokee. I would recommend the GC over the Liberty if you can handle the added weight.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #5

We have towed a 2004 Jeep Liberty since it was new. Easy to set up, easy to tow. The only problem we had was the poor gas mileage (17 hwy, less in city) once we got there. That's why we now have an Equinox.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:16 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been towing the 08' Lib for the last 2 years, 25k miles,,,,,,

Tows great!

No steering wheel lock, key is not required to be in the ignition....

moving one fuse, keeps the 12v plug hot for the BB,,,,,,,,battery holds up with the BB plugged in for 5 days of towing,,,,without starting problems....may even go longer....not sure,,,,have not had to tow longer than 5 days without using the Jeep.
SideRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
we tow an 03 Liberty 4x4... Easy setup .Easy to tow. Trouble free auto. A newer one would be just as good if not better with the better system on the steering wheel lock
Old 08-08-2010, 08:15 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looking at the PRO's.. Every year one of the gearhead magazines does a "Bang for the Buck" contest.. Car companies send over their cars and assorted drivers try 'em out and rate them for all sorts of things including head and leg room, comfort and just how much FUN those rides are.

They take the FUN value. and divide by COST

Now there are some real nice cars. Lots of "Go Fast" cars, Mustangs, Camaro, that kind of thign, And sporty imports a plunty.

So.. What car wins... Jeep Liberty

Lots and lots of "BANG" (one of the funnest rides out there)

Not so many bucks.

So you get a lot of BANG (Fun, Pleasure) for, compared to the high speed sports cars, very few bucks. A clear winner.

So put that in the PRO column.

The Cons... .. Humm,,, having a hard time there.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:38 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
I also tow a 2008 Liberty Limited, 4WD, automatic. As mentioned, there is no steering wheel lock with the automatic transmission - don't know about the stick shift. I leave the ignition switch off and take the key with me - no problem.

The rear light fixture has three chambers. The bottom one is not used and has a stencil to cut out to install a light fixture. I used a conventional dual element bulb. I don't need any diodes and don't interface with the Jeep's electrical system.

I had an M&G braking system installed since I have an air brake system on the motorhome. As others have said, I don't know it is back there.

It is a great tow vehicle.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 08-13-2010, 09:46 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Appreciate all the replies. Sounds like the Liberty is a good vehicle to tow. I'll be looking for one.
Mr_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:04 PM   #11

Towed a Jeep Liberty for two years...no problems...
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:24 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
TO: fxdave

I saw your reply on my e-mail. You said that you have an 06 Liberty. My 08 Liberty is a new design. I don't know if you have an ignition lock or not. Maybe someone else with an 06 Liberty and an automatic transmission can answer that. You can test yours by trying to turn the steering wheel while the ignition is off and the transmission is in Park. Obviously, it will be harder without the power steering, but if you can turn the wheel lock to lock, then there is no steering wheel lock.

Good Luck

W8RLM - Bob
Old 08-16-2010, 09:30 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
We tow an older Wrangler, But we bought my wife a new liberty limited just last week. That is one heck of a jeep. smooth ride, all the luxery one would need, most every bell and whistle there is. and under 30k after rebates.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:33 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
fxdave's issue is being discussed here.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote