Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:38 PM   #1

Has anyone purchased a Protect-A-Tow and what is your opinion of it. Thinking seriously about getting one.

papermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #2
American Coach Owners Club
We bought one for our Wrangler prior to an Alaska trip. Now you have to understand that roads in Alaska are full of gravel breaks and have tons of small and medium stones. With the Jeep's gap between the front fenders and the bumper, this allows stones that the Jeep's tires picked up to be thrown forward. At every stop I had to dump a couple of pounds of stones from the top of the Protect A Tow. I also picked up lots of small stone dings on the front paint and windshield. I had our rear rock guard adjusted 4 inches above the road surface as well.

Also, just outside of the East gate of Yellowstone, they were resurfacing the road and had ground up the surface and that ended up with the same results with small pieces of asphalt. Suffice to say, I'm not too impressed. With those extreme conditions and the gap on the Jeep, I think we would have been better served with a toad bra and windshield protection.

Others swear by them...it seems to be well made.

Jan and Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #3
I had the opposite experience. Purchased the Protect-a-Tow prior to my Alaska trip in 2012. Traveled the same roads pulling a Pontiac Grand Prix behind my DP. Never had the issue with anything on top of the Protect-a-Tow. My wife noticed a couple of additional stone chips on the outer most edges of the front of the Pontiac that was not protected. We traveled in a caravan with at least 10 other motorhomes towing "toads" and feel that we had the best protection. Wouldn't leave home without it.
Don & Sue, Hickory Corners, MI FMCA F 4486 S
2009 Foretravel Nimbus XT 38', 2012 Ford Edge toad
djpauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:09 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We like our Protect a Tow a lot. Maybe the type of vehicle you use it on affects how well it works. It's easy to put on and remove, and protects our toad well.
Steve & Nancy
2005 Itasca Sunrise 33', W20 Chassis, Ultrapower, Henderson Trac Bar
2012 Chevy Captiva Sport AWD, ReadyBrute Elite Tow Bar, Blue Ox Base Plate, Protect-A-Tow
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:20 PM   #5

It is best to have a side exhaust - rear exhaust can melt the screen mesh. (I know for sure)
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Don't use one with a drop receiver. Inspite of what I was told by the company, that it would be okay, the movement of the material in the wind wore a hole in the fabric where it passed under the receiver. I should have seen that could happen. I now use a full width Ultraguard and mudflaps at each rear dual wheels. This works for me. Perhaps a Protect-a-Tow works best when it can be installed right below the bumper without a drop receiver.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:43 AM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Have used ours for 2 years works great easy hook up and easy storage in the bag it came with

Barry and Glennice, Kit and Kaboodle (Lhaso Apso's)
2008 Winnebago Tour WD, GMC Terrain toad
bgsc is offline   Reply With Quote