Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #1

Looked at the Protect-a-Tow website and decided it was for me, until I read their note that it may not work with rear exhaust diesels. Now I'm depressed.

Found a post in Woodall's user forum from an owner who discovered the problem the hard way. He said he was able to modify it fairly easily and it works fine for him. The post was fairly old and I'm not a member of Woodall's.

Sent a note to the manufacturer. They said some have rerouted the exhaust (seems a bit expensive) or otherwise prevented the shield from contacting the exhaust pipe, but no specifics were given.

So I though I'd see if anyone here has had this experience and what you did to overcome the issue.

Thanks
Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #2

Looked at the Protect-a-Tow website and decided it was for me, until I read their note that it may not work with rear exhaust diesels. Now I'm depressed.

Found a post in Woodall's user forum from an owner who discovered the problem the hard way. He said he was able to modify it fairly easily and it works fine for him. The post was fairly old and I'm not a member of Woodall's.

Sent a note to the manufacturer. They said some have rerouted the exhaust (seems a bit expensive) or otherwise prevented the shield from contacting the exhaust pipe, but no specifics were given.

So I though I'd see if anyone here has had this experience and what you did to overcome the issue.

Thanks
Steve
Old 07-24-2008, 12:25 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Steve,
I am not familiar with the Protect-A-Tow. Is the problem the exhaust pipe/extension or the direction of the exhaust gases? If the problem is the direction of the exhaust gases, consider turning the exhaust extension to exhaust the gases to the side, instead of downward. For other reasons, I did this.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:23 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gary, the Protect-A-Tow is a horizontal shield that goes from the bottom back of the motorhome to the bottom front of the toad. It goes under the tow bar and runs the width of the motorhome and toad. I would think a rear exhaust would do some damage to the shield. The exhaust would have to come out the side to prevent that.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:27 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Jim,
Turning the exhaust so it exhausts to the side has a chance of working.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gary,
On a coach like mine where the exhaust pipe is on the corner, you are probably OK. One coming out of the cap at back, particularly the new ones with extremely hot exhausts, even turned sideways, I think would do damage. Take a look here and tell me what you think. Personally, I use the Blue Ox Karguard so the exhaust is not an issue.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:07 AM   #7

Gary,

Interesting idea!

Are there any hazards involved in turning the exhaust to the side? I'm thinking more in terms of the exhaust blowing at other vehicles and passers-by.

Steve
Old 07-25-2008, 05:56 AM   #8

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I have the Roadmaster Tow Defender, a very similar product, and a rear exiting exhaust (Spartan Mountain Master chassis). My exhaust tailpipe is at a 45 degree angle. I have no problem with exhaust temperatures pulling straight or in turns. The Tow Defender has a flexing system when turning and that is not a problem either. When I disconnect the toad I roll the unit and stow it with the provided straps forward of the tow bar. Again driving the M/H with the Tow Defender in place no heat/melting problem.

Ronnie
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:33 AM   #9

I have used the Protect-A-Tow (PAT) for a year now with no problems. My exhaust is at the corner pointing down. The PAT mounts to the Motorhome (MH) with 4 hooks - One at each side and two more closer to the center of the MH. To prevent a problem with the exhaust, I do not use the hook in the corner by the exhaust. I fold that corner back toward the center of the PAT and attach it to the bungee that is vertical in the center of the PAT (used to keep the center of the PAT off the ground). Works great. Will see if I can find a photo.
Dennis Fineran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:49 PM   #10

Steve, I have been using Protect-A-Tow for about 2 years now and if there is any way you can make it work it will be worth it. My pusher has side exhaust so no problem for me, but if I ever get a pusher with rear exhaust I'd make it work somehow. There is a phone # you can call on their web site. I would recommend giving them a call and see what they say. I takes an Rv'er to think of something like this, so I bet they have a solution. If not do what Dennis did, you'll be happy.
Steve

i bet they

Alcoa Dura Bright rims
Steve & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:51 AM   #11

Steve, we have also been using Protect-a-Tow for a few years now and love it. A friend of ours built some sort of guard around his tailpipe on his DP, his Protect-a-Tow actually rides above the guard and doesn't touch the exhaust. He learned the hard way first but made the guard and it seems to work well now. If possible, I would move the pipe out to the side anyway, less exhaust soot going out the back towards the toad.
fisherman1964 is offline   Reply With Quote