Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2015, 10:46 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Protect Toad for towing

Got the Fiat ready to tow behind 2015 Winnebago 27 N, except for a rock guard. The Winnebago seem high , just wondering what protection I may need or if I need any thing. Have read on the forum some about them , wondering because of height of MH what might work best.
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2015, 12:09 PM   #2

A couple of things, Blue Ox recommends that the hitch point on the toad be +/- 4 inches to the RV hitch.... Might want to check the exact number as sometimes my memory isn't what it used to be.
As far a protecting the toad from road hazards I use a Protect-A-Tow. It is a mesh fabric and elastic cord that goes between the back of the MH and the toad. Does very good at protecting toad from road debris. Easy to install, and easy to set up and store.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:41 PM   #3

Protec A Tow is a good product as long as your exhaust does not come out the back such that it interfers with the screen. I would call the supplier before buying to be sure. I could not use it on my DSDP.

Protect-a-Tow
Old 02-18-2015, 03:45 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
My Dutch Star has a mud flap that spans the width of the MH. As it is behind the wheels it knocks down most debris. I've towed my Grand Cherokee over 11,000 mile without any incident. But there are a lot of options for your toad. I've seen some toads with a bra. I don't think you can protect against everything.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:51 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Put your toad in a car hauler. Out of sight, out of the debris and you can back up.

Just saw a car behind a MH. They had obviously gone through some rain. Car looked like it had been sprayed with a fine mist of mud. Because it had. That would be in everything including the radiator and vents.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:03 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
We are getting ready for the trip from NC to AK. What suggestions do you have for protecting the towed. I know we can not protect it from everything. We have the gravel guard across the rear of the MH, that also picks up rocks and the KarGuard II from Blue Ox. Had thought about cardboard on the windshield. My son also suggested a thick clear plastic that adheres to the so called bumper below the tow bar.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
wagonmaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:10 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I recommend the UltraGuard solid rubber flap on the rear of the MH, plus the Protect-A-Tow mesh shield between the MH and the toad. I think this gives you as near complete protection as it's possible to have!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster1 View Post
We are getting ready for the trip from NC to AK. What suggestions do you have for protecting the towed. I know we can not protect it from everything. We have the gravel guard across the rear of the MH, that also picks up rocks and the KarGuard II from Blue Ox. Had thought about cardboard on the windshield. My son also suggested a thick clear plastic that adheres to the so called bumper below the tow bar.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Speaking from our experience last summer to and from Alaska, I would ditch the rear flap and just go with a good set of flaps behind the rear duals and the Protec A Tow. Make sure the rear flaps are 4-5" off the pavement when at traveling height and you will be good to go. The OEM flap across the back causes more trouble than it prevents. Each time you go through a dip in the road, your toad gets a shower of rocks off the flap. I ditched mine in Whitehorse last summer and have not had any stone issues since. Not only did it shower the toad but the stones would bounce off the Kar Guard and chip the paint on the back of the MH.
I also use a custom made vinyl windshield cover that I put on if we are going to travel roads where we might encounter gravel patches.
No matter what you use, the toad takes a beating.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 02-18-2015, 07:57 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks , I will check out the protect-A-Tow on line.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:12 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Hey Selan , thanks for info. Got the blue ox tow bar height covered (with in 2 inches of level )
Old 02-19-2015, 09:18 PM   #11

Your first line of defense would be the mud flaps directly behind the dual rear wheels. They should be within 4-6" of the ground. Just don't make them so long they end up hitting the ground when you let the air out. Air down first, then measure from where you can attach them into metal, to be about 1-2" off the ground.
Then, if you like the looks, go with some extra protection with the mud flap across the back. We can make them look great! Just design it to be at least 4" off the ground while you go down the road. You do not want it hitting the ground while on a gravel uneven road, or creating a wind vortex that throws up loose gravel.
Your toad may indeed still get muddy if it is wet, and them you go down a dusty road, but that does not mean rocks are hitting it and creating dings. Dust a dirt are much lighter and hang in the air long enough to end up on your vehicle. Rocks fall back to the ground faster.
We just did 5000 miles in our Dutch Star pulling our CRV. We did have to wash it when we got to Quartzsite, but there were no rock chips.
DuraFlap Mud Flaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:05 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Anyone have a good source for an exhaust extension that directs exhaust away from screen?
FMCA-GOOD SAM
jstdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:08 AM   #13

get some mud flaps... they do help.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:10 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstdreamin View Post
Anyone have a good source for an exhaust extension that directs exhaust away from screen?
Any exhaust shop should be able to help you. You don't really need an extension so much as an elbow to turn the exhaust pipe and direct it away from the Protect A Toad shield and also away from your RV. Our MH already had side exhausts for the engine so that wasn't a problem. But the exhaust pipe of our generator was directed straight out the back and into our Protect A Tow shield, luckily I was able to loosen the u clamp that connected the exhaust pipe to the generator and turn it so the exhaust is directed out toward the driver's side rear corner of our RV and away from the shield and away from a bedroom window.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, towing, tow