Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #1

Protect Toad from MH and MH from Toad?

I just came back from a 900 mile trip with the toad (see signature below).
We're considering protecting the Toad from rocks kicked up by the MH and what to use. A friend said he had heard that on Alaska's gravel roads, the Toad can kick up rocks onto the back of the MH, damaging the paint and fiberglass. I'm confused about what to do. Would a Protect-a-tow allow rocks to be flung off the top of the Toad tires at the back of the MH? Also, what's the easiest to deal with in detaching the toad from the MH? Right now, all we have is mud flaps behind the rear MH tires. Thanks for any help!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've used the Protect a Tow for a few hundred miles now and I am very happy with it. I don't really see how the car could send stuff forward into the back of the motorhome with the Protect a Tow used. Our setup is very simple so separating the car from the motorhome is simple. Can't say anything about your's, how do you do it now?
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #3

I've done the trip to Alaska and saw every possible TOAD protection system on te market and ever some home made ones.

The best bet is ti find a way not to kick up the gravel. This has its challenges if you drive through one of the fresh repair areas that can be 20 miles long. The repair uses a mix of gravel and a slurry mix. The first thing you really want to do is slow down...slower than you might think. The next big mistake is running the big mud flaps across the back of the coach. Most are hung way too low. If they are close to the road they will create turbulances and lift rocks. They will push rocks up into the engine compartment of the coach, if it's a pusher. I discarded mine. Make sure you have mud flaps just behind he tires that are low. They drop rocks to he ground.

Regardless of what you use there will be times when gravel will impact th TOAD. Much of this coming from the trucks passing the other way at speeds far too fast for the conditions. I pulled a 2012 Ford Explorer without any protection on or in front of the Explorer. I lost both fog lights while in Montana. They had a 15+ mile gravel stretch while working on US 2. I should have slowed more. I ended up with one repairable windshield crack and had to replace the driver's side window. Both windshields on the coach had too many cracks to repair.

If you really want protection the Roadmaster panel and the skirt that goes between the bumper of the coach and the TOAD looked like the best options.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
... If you really want protection the Roadmaster panel and the skirt that goes between the bumper of the coach and the TOAD looked like the best options.
I am using this setup, and I also have a full width flap (the kind you don't much care for) on the MH. Properly installed, they do fine. So I have the wide flap, Protect-a-Tow, and the Roadmaster Rock shield. It may be overkill. The only part I bought was the P-A-T, the rest was with the coach when I bought it. For all of it, my setup is still quick and easy.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad