Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2015, 07:02 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't have anything right now but I ordered and will be installing the brush mud flap this weekend.

I'll see how much difference it makes on kicking stuff up into my Civic
Attached Images

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2015, 07:13 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I wonder if a muffler shop, Midas or something similar, could fabricate an extension to turn the exhaust to the side, getting it out from under the Protect-A-Tow? I wouldn't think that would be too expensive!
Treeman,
I agree with Joe. I am using a Protect-A-Tow under my Blue Ox tow bar pulling my CRV, and have a rearward exhaust system. My tailpipe has a "fingernail" type deflector to direct the exhaust downward. I've been using this for a few thousand miles and have no damage to the Protect-A- Tow. It does get really dirty when driving in the rain, though.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:48 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Treeman47
What makes you think you need a "Protect-a-Tow"?
I have towed for 100k+ miles without one.
IMO a Protect-a-Tow is just another unnecessary RV gimmick/gismo.
Mel
'96 Safari
I find that hard to believe if towing that many miles and never having any rock chips on the toad paint.
But then your post didn't say no damage was occurred.

Was all those miles the same toad?

I towed a HHR for 6 years with only a UltraGuard flap. I only had a few chips that needed touch up paint. But there was some.

I am adding the Protect-a-tow with my new toad to stop even the few the HHR had. My exhaust goes out the side with a turn down tip. So no heat problem.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I don't have anything right now but I ordered and will be installing the brush mud flap this weekend.
Waiter21
I have had a "brush mud flap" for 14+ years.
Although my brush mud flap blows up nearly horizontally at highway speed it has protected my Saturn toads for 100+ miles...(no monkeying around with a Mickey Mouse "toad protector" everytime I hook up or disconnect my toad).
Mel S
'96 Safari, 140k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:32 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mel,

Thanks. My old Civic has over 200k miles on it and I don't think I would notice any dings from rocks.

I figured the brush would help prevent some of the dings and maybe help keep it a little cleaner from road spray kicking up behind the MH.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:09 PM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

I don't see how that's gonna stop a large rock!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:18 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Big rocks, not sure either. I think the brushes will slow it down (actually, speed it up so it matches the speed of the MH and TOAD??), but on the other hand, the brushes could fling it up.

I don't have a baseline so am relying on others and also a little experimenting.

I know one thing. I put a new windshield on the TOAD last fall after I got it back from my daughter so who wants to take bets on how long before the new windshield gets its first chip.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:52 PM   #22

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My gosh nobody pulls a show car. What is all the fuss about?I use but don't abuse. I get more road debris damage when I drive from other cars than I'll ever get when I tow. The DW 2012 Frontier is going in to get the paint refreshed and it has never been towed.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:13 PM   #23

I hate to sound like a broken record (some may know what a record is ) but I removed my big ol mud flap in Whitehorse, Yukon last summer because the toad was being showered with tiny rocks everyday. This is the extreme situation but it demonstrates what happens when the full width mud flap touches the ground. Even after I raised it up to about 6" off the ground at ride height.
I was also using a Kar Guard by Blue Ox and a custom windshield cover.
It was bad enough that the stones would bounce off the Kar Guard and chip the paint on the back of the coach.

So, moral of this story, I removed the full flap and no more stones. I do have the flaps just behind the rear duals that are set to just clear the ground with the air bags deflated. Now I use my windshield cover but seldom if ever use the Kar Guard. I kept the SS Newmar nameplate but after going without, I don't think I will bother putting a new flap back on.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:29 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeman47 View Post
I have a Protecta tow that I use under a Blue Ox. When my protecta tow is hooked up the exhaust will eject right out on to it. The distance between the two is about 6-8 inches. I fear that it will just be too much heat and will melt the plastic mesh. The available solutions to this are an additional $400. Does any one know of an inexpensive solution or have fabricated a solution to keep the protecta tow protected. Thx.
I just turned my exhaust tip out to the side, use to point down on a slight angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Treeman47
What makes you think you need a "Protect-a-Tow"?
I have towed for 100k+ miles without one.
IMO a Protect-a-Tow is just another unnecessary RV gimmick/gismo.
Mel
'96 Safari
110% WRONG ,You have towed without one, never used one, how can you know the performance/outcome of using one I have towed without/with and the results from "With" are on a large scale a benefit.......Not only the TOAD stays a ton cleaner, the road dirt that use to get all over the rear of the Coach along with dirty road water from driving in the rain is reduced by over 80% from not using one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I have the same issue. What is this $400 solution you are referring to?
Hi Marc, as posted above, I just loosened the exhaust tip and turned it out to the side........lot less dust with it facing out
Old 04-20-2015, 06:47 AM   #25

Treeman47 Responds

All - thanks for the informative input and good discussion. Some have asked what I meant by the $400 solution - I meant rough cost of Blue Ox Kar Guard, or a similar Roadmaster device. We towed a jeep wrangler to Alaska with protect a tow and it did protect the car. However, a lot of small gravel got through and there were chips. That was behind a Winnebage Adventurer. I now have a Discovery and since I haven't found the solution, I have been towing with out the Protect a Tow. Haven't noticed any major damage. Perhaps rear end being lower on the DP helps. Both coaches had the Ultra Guard on them.
Treeman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:35 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
110% WRONG ,You have towed without one, never used one, how can you know the performance/outcome of using one I have towed without/with and the results from "With" are on a large scale a benefit.......Not only the TOAD stays a ton cleaner, the road dirt that use to get all over the rear of the Coach along with dirty road water from driving in the rain is reduced by over 80% from not using one.
palehorse89
Because I have towed for 100k+ miles without a toad protector, (and because I've NEVER had damage to my toads), I can definitely state that I DO NOT NEED a "toad protector".

However, if my toad had EVER BEEN DAMAGED when it was being towed I would be using a toad protector of some type.

(If it ain't broke don't fix it).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:50 AM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed these over the weekend.

Cost about $60, took about 2 hours start to finish.

Adding brush mud flaps | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

We'll see if they help protect the new windshield in the Civic.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brush_1_1066x600.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	92040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brush_2_1066x600.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	92041  

Old 04-20-2015, 10:53 AM   #28
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I installed these over the weekend.

Cost about $60, took about 2 hours start to finish.

Adding brush mud flaps | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

We'll see if they help protect the new windshield in the Civic.

I don't think it's the windshield that needs protecting, but the front of the toad, that's another story!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow