Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #1

protecting our toad

I have a 36' Class A (Gas) and getting ready for the road and have ordered all the parts from Blue Ox to tow my 2012 Equinox. Now we are trying to find the best (reasonable) protector device for the front end. I am looking at the road master defender, the coastline cover, the protectatow. I have also looked at a car bra clear or leather and so far nothing has jumped out to say this is the best or way to go.

Looking at the cost of all the tow items and then add a toad protecting system makes me think maybe buying a enclosed trailer might be the best idea floating around. My lady friend keeps saying no to the trailer. She says the problem of what to do with the trailer upon arriving at the parks is the big problem.

I say most parks have pull through parking that can handle the trailer. If we are staying longer then we could rent or find a place at the park to store it until ready to leave.

Please give me your feedback on this.
Thanks
Brakedoc
Brakedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a Roadmaster Defender and we are very happy with it. We had a bra on our previous toad and came to realize it does not protect the lights. A fog light got smashed by a stone and the replacement part cost $350! The light was integrated with the whole corner panel of the front bumper. In the end I sold that car with the light still broken and put the $350 towards a Defender which cost $399. A good deal in my book.

Edit: I would have to agree with your lady friend that an enclosed trailer can be a liability at some campgrounds. Where we are right now in an Oregon state park they would charge you an additional $5 a night and the trailer would be parked far away from your site in a boat & trailer parking area.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #3

Thanks for your input.

I was looking at a 2006 posting on a subject close to mine. A very neat answer was to go to a carpet store, pick out a soft piece to cover the grill and another to cover the windshield, then use tie straps to hold them in place. That would cover the lights etc.
Brakedoc
Brakedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #4

We use the Protect-a-tow. It is really easy to set up and take down. Stores just about anywhere and so far has done a good job.
I also agree with your DW. Yes, many Parks and CGs have some pull throughs... If there not already reserved. The hassle of having to unsecure your car from inside the trailer, backing the car out. Then parking the trailer somewhere, unhooking the trailer and then parking the MH seem to so much unnecessary effort.
Make your travels simple and enjoyable, flat tow with some sort of simple protection.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Saw this shield in Alaska, looks homemade and a much better shield than I use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1187 copy.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	43773  
Old 08-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #6

I have a Fred so it should have about the same rear overhang as your front gasser. You could be just fine as you are.

We just have regular behind-the-duals mud flaps, Wrangler toad, 21,000 miles. No chips.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3234712096.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	681.1 KB
ID:	43774
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
I had the "protect-a-tow" but it didn't hold up well to Alaska and back. The bungee cords chafed and had to be fastened together again. Maybe they have improved them. The "Defender" is better built but both still let some gravel in, possibly from oncoming traffic.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #8

Those guards that are draped under the tow bar and go between the coach and the tow seem to do a better job than those that attach to the front of the tow. The solid, up-right shields also defect a lot of wind--at least to the extent that there is some undisrupted air immediately behind the coach????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Since you have a Blue Ox tow bar, you may want to check out their toad protectors. They now have two styles.
slapfoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad