RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
This thing does a great job of protecting the toad.
We also like Protect-a-Tow. We discovered that, in addition to the small rocks, it keeps the muddy mist off the TOAD, tow bars and cables when that unexpected shower shows up while you're enroute! Bonus!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2019, 01:15 PM   #16

I know this is over a year old but I still think it is relevant.

As promised, I took my mud flap off along with the Rock Solid. I also had the Jeep windshield replaced.

On a 4000-mile trip last month, not one rock ding in the new windshield and no pebbles on the front bumper. In addition, in rain, the back up camera stayed clean and dry - which always got wet and became useless in the rain.

So I am leaving the Monaco mud flap and the Rock Solid off permanently.

VinceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 01:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceB View Post
I know this is over a year old but I still think it is relevant.

As promised, I took my mud flap off along with the Rock Solid. I also had the Jeep windshield replaced.

On a 4000-mile trip last month, not one rock ding in the new windshield and no pebbles on the front bumper. In addition, in rain, the back up camera stayed clean and dry - which always got wet and became useless in the rain.

So I am leaving the Monaco mud flap and the Rock Solid off permanently.

Good call. The back of my coach has never stayed as clean as it does now once I removed my rear rock guard.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:15 PM   #18

I would think if you do not need the rear mud flap on your coach it is because you have the right size mud flaps just behind your tires. Those will stop the majority of the rocks when they are wide and long enough.
The rear mud flap should always be at least 4" off the ground to prevent it from hitting the road or even creating a wind effect that could throw rocks at the toad.
I really like mine and my CRV does not have any chips. It does still get dirty but that is because our side exhaust likes to blow the dust up. No stopping that.
NRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:31 PM   #19

Triple E Owners Club
Mud Flap

We have a full mud flap right behind the tires and fully across the back of our RV. We were amazed to find hands full of small rocks in the location below our 011 CRV’s windshield when we got home from Mexico. Our windshield has numerous small “dings” in it as do the headlight covers and the hood.
A little perplexed as to the physics re: removing the mud flap or having it >4” above the ground. It seems counterintuitive, but experience may be the rationale?
Thoughts, explanations anyone?

Thanks

Cheers

DJ
Old 06-24-2019, 01:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excesses View Post
We have a full mud flap right behind the tires and fully across the back of our RV. We were amazed to find hands full of small rocks in the location below our 011 CRV’s windshield when we got home from Mexico. Our windshield has numerous small “dings” in it as do the headlight covers and the hood.
A little perplexed as to the physics re: removing the mud flap or having it >4” above the ground. It seems counterintuitive, but experience may be the rationale?
Thoughts, explanations anyone?

Thanks

Cheers

DJ

My best guess is that some coaches create a large area of low pressure at the rear when at highway speeds with the large mud flap installed.

I would bet that if we could see the rear of our coaches at speed in a wind tunnel test, we'd all be very surprised at the air turbulence behind the coach and how it draws items up off the ground swirling them around until they hit the toad.

BTW: the back of my coach now stays a lot cleaner in the rain too.

You just have to roll the dice to see which will work better for you. It was not working for me with the mud flap on, so it was a no brainer to try it off. Glad I did.
VinceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:05 AM   #21

Have the toad drive behind the coach for 10 miles to see what is happening. Make sure the rear flap is not hitting the ground or creating a wind tunnel effect throwing rocks up.
Also watch that the exhaust is not creating a situation where it is blowing on the ground and sending the rocks up.
NRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:08 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It seems to depend on what coach you have. Maybe the back or side radiator might. make a difference. I have 28,000 miles towing a new Jeep Wrangler and I have never seen a rock on the bumper, hood or anywhere else on the Jeep and I have the big flap installed. I have one ding on the front of my jeep and it was caused by a truck going the opposite on the gravel road going up to Mt Lemon in AZ. I don't doubt what others are seeing but I'm not going to fix a problem that doesn't exist for me.

CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad