Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2018, 08:59 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Protecting the Jeep toad !!!

My Jeep windshield cracked from a rock chip - don't know if it was when towing (doubtful) or when just running around...

But I guess I never knew how much sandblasting, etc... it had on it !
The new one is SSSSSSSSOOOOOOO clear, I actually had to put a fingerprint on it to make sure it was there

Just to make sure it's not when towing, I ordered this:
https://www.amazon.com/Coverking-Cus...WH76D98X0A9QE6

Not really concerned about the front of the Jeep since enough 4 wheeling scratches that, but like the clear windshield !
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2018, 11:10 AM   #2

i would not use that as it is for like winter and having to scrape in morning...might work thou.. but a rock hitting it, seems would transfer energy right to windshield.. they make nets just for this that go over tow bar and stops chips also...
Old 04-27-2018, 11:14 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
we'll see how it does in 10 days on our next trip...

will snug it down to limit flapping and scuffing, but it does have a felt under so hoping it works...

didn't want a full cover as it would be more work than I want for the potential benefit...
Old 04-27-2018, 11:42 AM   #4

JohnnyBoyToo,
Well, it's up to you to add whatever you think will do the job for you in protection of that windshield. We've been towing Jeeps now, for oh, about 35 years and, we've covered all over the U.S. doing it. And that's been through a zillion construction zones, chip sealed roads, and more. And in towing over 9 Jeeps in that period, with 4 different coaches, we've not encountered any chips in any of the windshields of any of those 9 Jeeps.

There's been lots of threads on here and other RV forums about the use of full length mud flaps. You know, the ones that are about mid length between the back wheels and the rear of the coach. Well, as a test to see if some of these notions of reduced paint chipping were true, I had just finished a long trip and, knowing the front of my vehicles (Jeeps especially) as I do, I had numerous chips in that grill etc.

Well, I touched all of them up, every single one of them and, then I removed that full length mud flap and we headed out again. This trip was even longer than the previous one. At various stops and campgrounds, I would inspect the front of the Jeep we were towing at the time. ZERO chips in that paint and grill. We got back home and, after a couple-thousand mile trip, there was only one, small, abou 1/16th in diameter paint chip in the grill, that's it!!!

So, without a doubt, the removal of that full length mud flap was the key, at least for us. As for your situation, well, again, that's up to you. Just something to think about.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:37 AM   #5

Agree with FIRE UP, no mud flaps equals less rocks on the towed vehicle.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:30 AM   #6

Seems counter intuitive. Wouldn’t a long mud flap defect rocks thrown up by the rv tires? Help me understand why this isn’t so as I’m getting one installed in a couple of days.
scrowell52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:05 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCrowell View Post
Seems counter intuitive. Wouldn’t a long mud flap defect rocks thrown up by the rv tires? Help me understand why this isn’t so as I’m getting one installed in a couple of days.
I have towed about 15,000 miles with a full length mud flap and only have one chip so far and I'm not sure if that was done towing. Mine hangs about 2 inch off the ground when stop but swings out and has about 4 to 5 inches from the bottom edge of the flap to the road going my 64 miles per hour. I know a lot people say they do but so far I haven't had problem. I have not noticed the rubber smell for the first few miles after unhooking.

I did purchase a five year warranty that fixes chips and dings for 200 dollars so that was a cheap solution and even covers when I'm 4 wheeling.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:52 AM   #8
doc

Appalachian Campers
I really don't have a opinion on how good this works, but I wonder if a pebble or grain of sand does make it behind the cover and the windshield what will happen after a few hundred miles of being buffeted by the wind against cover. However slight, there has to be some movement.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:20 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would also be concerned about grit getting up under the cover and causing damage. I know that car covers will cause damage if stored outside and grit getting under the cover and wind moving the cover around will act like sandpaper on the finish.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:37 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I’m very interested in hearing your report. My concern with this product while under tow would be paint chafing on the Toad. In my experience towing a motorcycle on a flatbed trailer is that a cover meant for stationary use can do a lot of damage to the bike when towing at speed. Maybe a toad will be different as it’s much closer to the RV. But I would check it frequently on the first trip if I were you. Especially at the points were it attaches to the vehicle.
cyclist922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:25 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
The ordered cover should be in first of next week and we are going from DFW to Kentucky right after, so we'll see...

I totally agree on paint finish being 'rubbed' from a nose bra - a previous sports car had the mfg's version that should have fit very well and it was as if it had been sand blasted

But still curious on the windshield and fitment for this... will be the guinea pig

I DID take the mud flap off - and was STUNNED how heavy that thing is !!! it could move a boulder if it hit it !!!

so hopefully between the Protect-a-Tow, the windshield cover, and removing the mud flap should help ! (as well as improving mpg after taking off the 100 lb flap!)
Old 04-30-2018, 02:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCrowell View Post

I was always amazed at how much sand and etc there is on the front bumper of my Jeep after towing. So in addition to the factory full-length mud flap, I installed a Rock Solid tow guard. I cut it as long as I legally could plus some. To my amazement, it seemed to increase the amount of sand and small pebbles that accumulate on the bumper. Rock dings in the windshield did not cease to happen either.

After reading this thread and thinking about it more in depth, my guess is that the huge area of the mud flap creates a low-pressure area behind it as it moves through the air. This might suck up small rocks that otherwise would lie still on the road.

Next trip the full length mud flap comes off as a test - nothing to lose at this point as the windshield and grill are already damaged.

As a side note, I happened to order a radiator screen last week. https://www.allthingsjeep.com/grille...6-jeep-tj.html

Another side note: does anyone know what that rubber smell is for the first few miles after towing? I am guessing it is rubber dust on the road that has worn off all the tires and getting on the Jeep exhaust.
VinceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:25 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceB View Post
Another side note: does anyone know what that rubber smell is for the first few miles after towing? I am guessing it is rubber dust on the road that has worn off all the tires and getting on the Jeep exhaust.
You are exactly correct. Mine has always had the burned rubber smell and I have read of many others. It's just road tar, mud, rubber, etc burning off.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:33 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
This thing does a great job of protecting the toad.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad