Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:40 AM   #15
cwk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I use the Protect-A-Tow with a UltraGuard solid rubber flap across the back of the MH positioned 6" above the road. Never had a single chip on the front of the toad!
Why 6"?

cwk is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2016, 10:31 AM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
Why 6"?

That's the generally recommended height so the flap doesn't drag on unlevel roads, kicking up rocks. Of course, if you have the Protect-A-Tow, the rocks can't get up to your toad anyway! I bought the rear flap mainly for the appearance!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:48 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
Why 6"?
Our coach came with a rear mudflap that was about 1" above the ground. Our first 1000 miles of towing really did a lot a damage to our toad. So, the next step was to buy a Protect A Tow. Now all the garbage that the mudflap kicked up collected in the Protect A Tow. The toad was coated in gravel dust, the Protect A Tow was weighted down with stones and rocks and bottle caps and all kinds of garbage. We even found a set of keys once! So, I cut a couple of inches off the bottom of that big rear mudflap. Much better. Still not great, but much better. So, I cut about 3 more inches off, making the road clearance about 6". Problem solved. No more garbage being collected in the Protect A Tow, and the toad remains relatively clean.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:54 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by krstroech View Post
Need suggestions for best options to equip front of toad with protective cover to prevent dents and scratches from debris kicked up by rear wheels of Motorhome.
What have you had proven success with that is not a major hassle to install/remove? Anyone use molded vinyl bra-type cover on toad front?
This is my first equipment buy/set-up for a dinghy towed vehicle. My RV is 2015 Entegra Aspire. My Dinghy is a 2016 GMC Canyon. My Tow bar is a Blue Ox Avail. Thanks, Ken
Yes, I use one of the Lebra's. They work just fine. On my old toad, I used nothing but installed mud flaps on back and front wheels. While this didn't stop the damage, it did reduce it.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:42 AM   #19

Great Advise!

Thanks all for the many good suggestions! Don't plan on driving gravel roads this summer, but sounds like spending a few $100 bucks will be well worth the angst every time I notice (or dont notice) debris in road which can't be avoided.
My MH came with rear flap but took off during me first season as it would drag when I backed up my sloped driveway. Need to reinstall and figure out a way to flip up and temporarily secure when backing slopes. Anybody dealt with this rear flap issue?
Old 05-14-2016, 09:25 AM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I don't know. I've actually entertained the thought of totally removing that big rear mud flap. I'm not convinced that it provides any practical protection. I suspect that it's primarily there for appearance.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:34 AM   #21

We bought an older car so we wouldn't have to worry about it much. Turned out to be an excellent plan! The driver's side front is the worst. Wondered about that for a while, but then it dawned on me that it not only handles stuff thrown up from our coach, it's likely nailed just as often from stuff thrown up from traffic moving in the opposite direction.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:13 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
I don't know. I've actually entertained the thought of totally removing that big rear mud flap. I'm not convinced that it provides any practical protection. I suspect that it's primarily there for appearance.

Jim
I removed the rear flap and left it in an RV park in Whitehorse, YK on our way to Alaska. That was two years ago and I do not miss it at all.
Mine was at least 4-6" off the ground but every day the CRV was covered with little stones. After removing the flap, no more stones.

Try it, you will be surprised at the result.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:38 AM   #23

Protecting Toad from Motorhome Wheel Kick-up Debris

Quote:
Originally Posted by krstroech View Post
Thanks all for the many good suggestions! Don't plan on driving gravel roads this summer, but sounds like spending a few $100 bucks will be well worth the angst every time I notice (or dont notice) debris in road which can't be avoided.

My MH came with rear flap but took off during me first season as it would drag when I backed up my sloped driveway. Need to reinstall and figure out a way to flip up and temporarily secure when backing slopes. Anybody dealt with this rear flap issue?

I have see many rvers use a strap to pull up flat against bottom when you are backing up or lowering the coach. SS faceplate will get scratched up. I just ordered a new factory mud flap with no faceplate. Just rubber and backing plate.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 05-15-2016, 11:10 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
We use Protect-A-Tow. Easy to install and use and easy to store while not in use.

Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, toad