Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:11 PM   #1

Protection for Toad

Has anybody used a "Protect A Tow" for a trip to Alaska and how did it work and stand up?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2015, 05:14 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Haven't been to Alaska but I think the Protect-A-Tow, along with a solid-rubber rear flap, gives you the maximum protection possible!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 05:51 PM   #3

We saw people in Whitehorse Yukon taking off their solid rubber flap. We also saw the damage the rocks from it did to their towed vehicle.

We didn't have any flap or other protection on the rear of ours and didn't get any dings on the towed.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:00 PM   #4

Traveled with a caravan in 2012. My Dynasty had a full width flap and we used the Protect-a-Tow with a Pontiac Grand Prix toad. Nobody in our caravan of 12 motorhomes with toads had the protection that we had. An added benefit is that it kept the back of the motorhome relatively clean. The Protect-a-Tow worked great. Have a great trip!
Old 04-28-2015, 12:04 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have used the Protect-A-Tow for several years. It works well. I wouldn't tow the toad without it.

Regarding the big rear mud flap. Make sure it's not hung too low. Ours was and caused a lot of minor damage to our toad. I cut it so it is at least 4" above the pavement.

Yesterday, for a short time we were following a motor home that had a rear mud flap that was hanging too low. Every time the coach dipped on a bump, the mud flap scraped the highway and threw garbage back at us. Those folks weren't towing at that time, but if they had been, their toad would be getting some serious damage.

I quickly passed that rig, at the same time remembering that we used to have the same problem with our rig a while back, until I cut the bottom 4" off of the mud flap.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:54 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Alaska X2

I just bought and installed the set up for a Protect a Tow on our rig. Not sure how well it works yet but keeping my fingers crossed.

We installed it between the rear of our Itasca MH and the tow dolly instead of the car (at the wheel pads). Went together pretty well but I did have to make several modifications to make it all work.

We too are headed to Anchorage via the Alaska Hiway in early July. I sense i won't have a lot of protection for the sides of the car but it looks like all should be well protected for the front of the car. I might add a few other elements of protection for the front lights, grill and windshield but have not figured it all out yet. Keeping our fingers crossed.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:56 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We saw people in Whitehorse Yukon taking off their solid rubber flap. We also saw the damage the rocks from it did to their towed vehicle.

We didn't have any flap or other protection on the rear of ours and didn't get any dings on the towed.

If they had the solid rubber flap AND the Protect-A-Tow then I don't think they would have had the damage. I don't see how any rocks can get up through the shield! Also, the flap may have been mounted too close to the ground, less than the 4" recommended height! JMHO

Old 04-28-2015, 04:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidej M View Post
Has anybody used a "Protect A Tow" for a trip to Alaska and how did it work and stand up?
Yes, we installed it just prior to our trip. Because of the harsh winters, there are many 'gravel breaks' where the road bed is rebuilt...and the breaks stay dirty and there's lots of loose gravel/rocks for a long time.

We tow a Wrangler, so there's a gap between the front bumper and the fender well and a lot of gravel gets thrown forward(I think) from being picked up by the front tires. We also had a rear rock guard mounted 4'' above the roadway. I'm not sure which item contributed the most, but while in Canada and Alaska we always had about three or four pounds of rock on top of the fabric of the Protect A Tow at the end of our driving day. We also had plenty of rock dings on the Jeep's windshield(now replaced) and the frontal area of the grill/hood post trip.

I was a little more than disappointed with it's performance considering it's expense and the time and prep on the install. That said, it could have been a lot worse without it...maybe???

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:22 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
Yes, we installed it just prior to our trip. Because of the harsh winters, there are many 'gravel breaks' where the road bed is rebuilt...and the breaks stay dirty and there's lots of loose gravel/rocks for a long time.

We tow a Wrangler, so there's a gap between the front bumper and the fender well and a lot of gravel gets thrown forward(I think) from being picked up by the front tires. We also had a rear rock guard mounted 4'' above the roadway. I'm not sure which item contributed the most, but while in Canada and Alaska we always had about three or four pounds of rock on top of the fabric of the Protect A Tow at the end of our driving day. We also had plenty of rock dings on the Jeep's windshield(now replaced) and the frontal area of the grill/hood post trip.

I was a little more than disappointed with it's performance considering it's expense and the time and prep on the install. That said, it could have been a lot worse without it...maybe???
Could the anchors for the Protect-A-Tow be installed further back under the front of the toad? Also, I understand that the shield comes in different lengths. Possibly you have the shorter one?

Old 04-29-2015, 09:40 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We were part of a caravan to Alaska in 2013, bringing up the rear. I don't recall a Protect-a-Tow, but believe it would work pretty well. We have a Blue Ox Kargard that I had altered to angle toward the mh at the top. It worked very well. Several had Karguard or similar shields from Roadmaster or homemade. A few used windshield covers that secured with straps ...we tried one and got some paint abrasion. Based on previous caravan experiences, several class A's removed the full width flaps ...we left ours in Texas. One class c had a new solid flap that was obviously too long. He was cautioned against it, and said he had already had it shortened. His toad ended the caravan with thousands of $$ damage to the glass and paint. I recall little or any damage to toads otherwise. I did note that the very bottom curve under the front of my toad looked like it had been sandblasted ---very rough to wipe a hand over. That area is below my Kargard.

Something else to consider for a diesel pusher ...my side radiator has a rock guard underneath covering the gap between engine & radiator. I strongly recommend all diesel pushers have this area screened off for both side & rear rads. Previous caravans have seen damaged fan blades and punctured radiators from stones getting into this gap. It is not hard to do with some fine screen/hardware cloth and wire ties.

Tags
toad