Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:22 PM   #1

Protection for toad hood

Greetings! We want to protect the new toad (2014 Honda CR-V) now that we'll be towing it behind our new MH and are looking for any insight as to whether you got the Diamond Shield (or similar plastic coating product) on the full hood or just the first 16". We know that both are available, and had the 16" on a car that was not a toad, so looking for any experiences out there. Also, any thoughts on getting the cover on the pillars? That seems a bit much ..... Many thanks.

jerztime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2016, 05:12 PM   #2

We use a protect A tow and it works great and is easy to add and remove

Old 03-15-2016, 09:50 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Protect-a-tow works for us as well
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerztime View Post
Greetings! We want to protect the new toad (2014 Honda CR-V) now that we'll be towing it behind our new MH and are looking for any insight as to whether you got the Diamond Shield (or similar plastic coating product) on the full hood or just the first 16". We know that both are available, and had the 16" on a car that was not a toad, so looking for any experiences out there. Also, any thoughts on getting the cover on the pillars? That seems a bit much ..... Many thanks.
jerztime
We've towed 2 different Saturn sedans a total of 112,000+ miles.
Neither were protected with any gadget, gizmo or protective coating...and neither suffered any damage.
Mel
'96 Safari, 146k miles
Old 03-15-2016, 12:23 PM   #5

We pulled a 98 Honda Accord for 3 years no problems no protection on car. My Country Coach has rear tire mud flaps and rear flap that hangs about 6" from the ground. We just got a 2011 Ford Edge and it has the factory plastic coating on the hood, grill, mirror fronts but I am going to get this.
Roadmaster Tow Defender Protective Screening Roadmaster Accessories and Parts RM-4700
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:30 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastline

This is what we use. Tow Car Shield
Not a Clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:13 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We also are fans of the Protect-A-Tow. We did not have it on when driving over a seal coat, loose gravel, construction site following a flag car over Lolo Pass and we were pelted with loose rock, even the roof had some gravel. The rear "vanity flap" was on the motorhome but not anymore. We recently had the front of the car repainted and our second Protect-A-Tow is on. This combination is working for us.
We have friends with a Country Coach that has had damage from rocks hitting the shield on the front of their towd bouncing off the shield and back against the rear of the motorhome. They put on a fake grass pad covering on the shield to stop the rocks from deflecting off the shield and it has made a big difference. The shield is angled slightly down. The fake grass is like the plastic door mats for cleaning shoes. Two happy campers.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:45 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
3 motor homes 160,000+ miles..... no protection and no damage to any toad.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:51 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That's the one I used on my trip to Alaska. Those that state they never had any damage probably didn't travel the Top of the World Highway.

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1458067897.654882.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  108.6 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not a Clue View Post
This is what we use. Tow Car Shield

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:40 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
you sent me a private message on towing a Honda. Your prfile doesn't allow me to reply to your private message, so let's go public.

We have a 2012 CRV and have towed it from PA to FL and then on to CA and back. We have never gone through the shifting process ever during the trip and I try not to do over 8 hours. The only time we do that was on over night stays at the start of the day. That being said, we never stopped during the day for much over an hour. That is our experence. One other thing we ran into was the battery going dead. We purchased a Blue OX fuse by-pass cable, self installed and fairly simple. The issue in installation was the small, tight mini fuse box. Good luck getting the pins in the fuse spot, it is doable. just cramped forming. Happy RVing!
tjvogtiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:30 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Over the years, I've towed three different trucks. My preference was to buy a vinyl bra for the three trucks. I found if you kept them clean there was no scuff damage. With that said, it was still more work than I wanted to do. I've looked at the other styles from the plastic wall to the blanket and to "ME", they're just too much work. I like to keep things simple

I've occasionally towed my truck(s) on short trips, without any protection, and over the last 10 years, there has been some rock damage. Personally, I don't see how some claim they've never had any damage, since vehicles will get chipped just driving down the road under normal use.

I came up with an idea I tried two weeks ago. I bought some of the plastic floor covering that you put down on carpet during construction. It's sticky on one and available at Home Depot. I placed a six foot sheet across the front of my Silverado and towed it 500 miles. Once at my destination, I just pulled it off. The front end was clean as a whistle.

I started to think I had an idea for a new product, precut sheets for the front of your car. Before I got too excited, I checked the internet. Sure enough, there is a product out there called "Road Wrap", available on Amazon.Robot Check

I like the way this stuff works, for $25.00, I can wrap the front end of my truck about 15 times. I can wrap my CRV about 20 times. You just start one edge, stick it to the side of the car, grab the ends of the roll and roll out 5'. If I'm going to use the car while enroute to my destination, I just use a razor to slice an opening where the radiator is at. It worked GREAT on a recent trip to the Grand Canyon.

It's also a great product if you have a nice car that you're taking on a long trip during buggy months and want to keep it clean. It doesn't look sexy, but doesn't look bad.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:42 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Buy a Protect-A-Tow and forget everything else!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad