Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2006, 07:21 PM   #1

Met a fellow Rver in a campground towing a PT Cruiser automatic. He said no problem towing the Cruiser because he installed some type of a "PUMP". I failed to ask him what type or make. Anyone have any ideas ?
thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2006, 07:21 PM   #2

Met a fellow Rver in a campground towing a PT Cruiser automatic. He said no problem towing the Cruiser because he installed some type of a "PUMP". I failed to ask him what type or make. Anyone have any ideas ?
thanks
Old 09-12-2006, 11:56 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
gator, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and look forward to reading of our adventures and expeiences. The pump is probably a transmission lube pump. A company called Remco make them as well as a drive shaft disconnect that can be installed on vehicles not inteded to tow four down from the mfg. Good luck to you and enjoy the website.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:49 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
Gator,

RV Wizard is absolutely right. The half shafts on the Cruiser are not long enough to install the disconnect devices. With an automatic, the Remco pump is the only way to go. The pump is driven by the motorhome's electrical power so it doesn't discharge the car's battery.

I tow a PT Cruiser, but it is a stick shift, so there isn't any need for auxilliary devices.

By the way, be careful with the Cruiser if you plan on a trip where you might encounter gravel roads. I towed mine to Alaska and back. Even with a shield on the front of the car, I had significant paint nicks on both rear doors and fenders. I believe that the car caused it by kicking up stones from the tires. There are some ways to stop it. Large mudflaps - particularily on the front tires are one solution. The other is a transparent film by 3M, but it is expensive.

Good luck. THe PT Cruiser tows like a dream.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 09-13-2006, 05:49 PM   #5

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:51 AM   #6

Can You give Me a idea of the cost for the lube pump..I have a P.T. and looking for a M.Home now to replace My 5er and truck...Thanks Bushman
Old 09-14-2006, 01:21 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Considering the cost of the transmission pump, a braking system, base plate and a quality towbar, I went with a Master Tow dolly with surge brakes. Bought a nice used one for $1400.

We have pulled our convertible Cruiser several hundred miles, and you don't even know it's there. I watched it with the backup camera through turns and various manuevers to see where and what it was doing.

Yes, it is more of a hassle hooking up, but I needed something quick as we are headed out tomorrow for our 1st long trip. We'll be on the road 3 weeks, and pulling the Cruiser. We make the stop in Forest City, IA on the way to Montana. Then, id all goes well, out to California and a return through 3Ts in Lake Havasu City AZ for their suspension upgrades. It will be hard to go to sleep tonight!
Old 09-14-2006, 02:15 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Thutch, have a wonderful trip. A PT tow is great no matter how you make it come along

Tow 2001 PT Cruiser
Colette and Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 05:42 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
THutch,

Ditto, have a great trip. My wife wants a convertible when we replace her car, and I want to make sure that it has one of the turbo charged engines. I think that the automatic is a little sluggish with the standard engine - especially with the air conditioner on. My opinion only.

The only caution I'd have for gator with the dolly is to check how much the GCWR is on his motorhome and how much capacity he has between his fully loaded weight and the GCWR. On my motorhome, there wasn't alot of weight capacity available, so the dolly wasn't an option. The PT Cruiser sedan weighs about 3150 Lbs. I don't know how much the dolly weighs, but it would have reduced my cargo capacity to a point where I'd have to keep close track of what I put in the motorhome. Your economics look great, and the hassle of the dolly isn't that bad.

Just a thought.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 09-14-2006, 05:47 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Bob buy her the convertible. The HO turbo with the 5 speed is great, but it does weigh 3500 lbs.

It is a fun car in the mountains.....minimal loss of HP

If I had an automatic, I think I would use a dolly.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:17 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
All,

Thanks! Yes, we have the turbo and it weighs 3400 lbs (from what I've read). I figure with the dolly, I'm pulling 4000 lbs. We will hit a scale and get weighed when we leave. The car is fun! Best convertible I've owned. Insulated top, headliner inside, quiet and with the "smart windows" it seals up tight.

We hit the road today...We are taking a laptop and will check in when we can...
Old 09-21-2006, 02:05 PM   #12

Hello,

I am looking at towing our manual transmission 01 4 down. Can you all give me your suggestions (make and model number) for tow bars and base plates for the Cruiser? I have looked at roadmaster and Blue Ox and really don't know which model is the best for our car.

Also, can you give me your opinion on lights. Hook into car system, put extra bulbs in, or use extenal lights.

Thanks,
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:37 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
We are in Montana, and the Cruiser has towed like a dream. We took it off the dolly in Forest City, and it is off, now. We gone through construction zones with tight cones, turns, pot holes, etc. At one point in Montana they were grinding asphalt into a big dump truck on a bridge. Two of the construction workers guided us through with about 3" of clearance on each side. Talk about pucker factor! I was sweating bullets.

Put about 2,400 miles in towing...about another 4,000 to go...
Old 09-21-2006, 05:33 PM   #14

OUTBUMM I would tell You but I do not know and I asked a question and no one came back to Me so sorry I can not help and the others seem to not help at all ...Bushman