Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2009, 07:34 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
PT Cruiser Toad

I pull a 2005 stick shift Pt Cruiser behind my 2004 HR Endeavor. My question??? After towing any where further than 50 miles my check engine light comes on. It comes on after we disconnect the toad, start it and drive away. This light will stay on for days or weeks then just go off not to be seen again until I tow again. Blue OX and Even Brake. Key in second position to allow power to cig lighter for brake system. How and why is this engine icon light coming on?
WeBeGone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Could be a variety of things. My Acadia does that occasionally and it is the auto traction control or ABS that has signaled a problem (or so my dashboard console says). It gets confused when the wheels go around when most everything else is hut off.

You could ask Chrysler for their opinion but the answer might be in Italian now...
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:41 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeGone2 View Post
I pull a 2005 stick shift Pt Cruiser behind my 2004 HR Endeavor. My question??? After towing any where further than 50 miles my check engine light comes on. It comes on after we disconnect the toad, start it and drive away. This light will stay on for days or weeks then just go off not to be seen again until I tow again. Blue OX and Even Brake. Key in second position to allow power to cig lighter for brake system. How and why is this engine icon light coming on?
plug in an obdll code reader when the check engine light is on and read the codes.
many auto parts stores such as schucks will loan you their reader.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:13 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Obdll ???

First, thanks for the responses. BUT... what is a obdll code reader. Heck, I can't even attempt to pronounce it.
WeBeGone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:31 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

OBD II, On Board Diagnostic [roman numeral] II, which is a standard data link for the engine computers of all US passenger cars since 1/1/1996. When the engine light comes on, there will be a diagnostic code stored and it can be read with an OBD II reader. Most mechanical shops have them but they will usually charge you for the reading. Or you can buy your own.

OBD-II - On-Board Diagnostic System
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:54 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeGone2 View Post
First, thanks for the responses. BUT... what is a obdll code reader. Heck, I can't even attempt to pronounce it.
AGAIN... the major auto parts stores such as schucks will let you borrow a code reader to use in their parking lot. their loaners are usually a high quality (read price) unit.
they also sell obd2 code readers for about $100 or less.
one of the factors in the price range is that the less expensive code readers just display an alpha-numeric code which you have to look up elsewhere to decipher. the more expensive units display the code as well as the problem on the display.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote