Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2006, 03:42 PM   #1

Anyone tell me if a 2002 Pt is towable and how.
gordon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2006, 03:42 PM   #2

Anyone tell me if a 2002 Pt is towable and how.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:51 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
Gordon23,

I tow a PT Cruiser. If you have a standard transmission, nothing has to be done except to attach the base plate. That is quite a job. Most of the front end body panels must come off.

If you have an automatic transmission, the only way to tow with four wheels is to add a transmission pump. The pump mounts in the car, and it is powered by the motorhome's 12 volt power. Remco makes the pump that is used with the PT Cruiser.

The last option is to use a dolly.

Good Luck

W8RLM - Bob
Old 04-12-2006, 03:52 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Gordon23,

Sorry I can't type. The sentence should say "with four wheels down".

W8RLM - Bob
Old 04-13-2006, 02:10 AM   #5

Hi Gordon,
I have a "Cruiser" and use a Kar Kaddy dolly.
It's the one with the folding tonge so it stores in less space. Easy to hook up and easy to load the "Cruiser" on to it. With no modifications needed.

Wayne

2002 Newmarr Kountry Star 3566
wynedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:31 AM   #6

Gordon23,

I tow a 2002 PT Cruiser a 5-speed manual transmission and tow 4 wheels down. I have a Blue Ox tow plate that was installed by my local shop. As Bob said some of the front end has to be removed and some holes drilled. They also have to cut round holes for the tow plate tabs to come through. Have not had any problems towing the PT.

John

2002 Winnebago Brave 34D Ford V10
jafortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 03:21 AM   #7

I have found a 5speed manual but yikes....."most of the body panels" have to come off.

Another question please. Does the odometer register while towing. Can't see why it wouldn't if the front end is on the ground except that maybe the ignition off might dissable the sensor.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:25 AM   #8

You will find with most of the newer cars today to install the tow brackets much of the front end plastic (facia, splash shields, air intake, horns and air deflectors) have to be removed and maybe some trimming of parts as they are re-installed.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:42 PM   #9

Appalachian Campers
We tow a 2001 PT automatic 4wheels down. Transmission lube pump installed between the front grill and radiator. Mileage does not register. Have 'Pro guard' that hooks to the bottom of the MH and under the front of the pt. This is a simple to hook up protector that rides under the tow mechanics and does a terrific job of keeping all the crud and stones off the pt and as a bonus, diesel dirt stays off the back of the rig !! Have towed it over 45000 miles and all is well.

Tow 2001 PT Cruiser
Colette and Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 10:44 AM   #10

We tow a 2002 PT with automatic. The pump is mounted over the battery so when I need a battery replacement it will take a few extra minutes. We also have the US Gear brake system. That mounts under the front driver seat. The whole setup has worked great for us for 4 years now.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:10 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
We plan to tow our 2005 PT Cruiser convertible, automatic. Figured on a tow dolly, but how much $$ and work is it to do the Trans Pump and brake system?
Old 06-27-2006, 09:57 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by THutch:
...but how much $$ and work is it to do the Trans Pump and brake system? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Should be less than a brand new dolly...and would weigh less too...since the dolly is probably 1000+ lbs...And you have to think about where to STORE the dolly...

[update]I was just at CW, brand new dolly w/brakes is $2299...ouch!!
Old 06-27-2006, 06:05 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Land Ho,

My wife and I want a PT Cruiser Convertible too as our next car. We currently have a 2003 PT Cruiser sedan with a 5 speed which we have towed over 35000 miles including a trip to Alaska.

If I were you, I'd seriously look at a transmission pump and 4 wheel down towing instead of a dolly. It would be lighter and easier to hookup, plus you don't have to find a place to store the dolly while you are camping.

In addition, look into the 3M film to cover the area below the bumper and at least both rear doors. Those are the two areas that I have seen that receive stone damage while towing the PT Cruiser.

Either way, the PT Cruiser makes an excellent toad.

Good Luck.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 06-29-2006, 08:01 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
To all on this thread:

We are towing a 2005 PT Cruiser GT convertible with the automatic gear box on a Demco SS Tow Dolly with surge brakes. We towed a Miata with the six-speed manual gearbox four-down for two years, and, the four down vs. tow dolly question has no clear answer, except that most folks tow four-down. I was not comfortable with the questionable reliability of the Remco pump on the PT automatic, so I opted for tghe Demco tow dolly set-up--pit works great!

Either system--four down or tow dolly--works well.

\
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote