Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:02 PM   #15

Mine is an older Saturn, but, it just says put in neutral and turn key to ACC. I've pulled thousands of miles like that.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2009, 09:27 PM   #16

I can tell you it is true, if you pull the fuse the miles will not register on the odometer
I am not sure just what all it stops from working. I do know you can not start the engine, The fuse is under the hood in the fuse box, it is a 30amp and green in color that is what mine is I have a o7 VUE Awd I also use a supplement Brake it is a 12v system and it will run the battery down if you don't start the engine and recharge, about ever three hundred miles I stop and run the engine for awhile.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:00 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Headley View Post
Mine is an older Saturn, but, it just says put in neutral and turn key to ACC. I've pulled thousands of miles like that.
Me, too, Steve.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:16 PM   #18
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
2007 Saturn Vue. The manual says to pull the 30 Amp ignition fuse. (green in color most times) It is the second fuse from front of engine compartment to back of compartmen on the right hand side looking in. I have been told it keeps the odometer from tripping. The transmission is in neutral and the ignition is in ACC (Don't know why since steering wheel does not lock)

Since some Saturn models indicate that before towing the transmission should be shifted from drive to neutral and NEVER from Reverse to Neutral, so I also shift from drive to neutral.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:33 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Since some Saturn models indicate that before towing the transmission should be shifted from drive to neutral and NEVER from Reverse to Neutral, so I also shift from drive to neutral.
That is probably for the Saturn models that have Honda transmissions. That's a Honda-devised procedure.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:29 PM   #20

i towed a 94 sl1 and a 2000 sl2 many miles and never pulled a fuse, never had a problem. now i have a 06 ion and the book says pull a fuse ,so i put a switch on it to disconnect the fuse when towing.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:49 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I sent an email to RV Parts to order a switchable fuse for my 2007 Vue. Below is the reply I received today. I have not done the recommended test yet but I will tomorrow.
Don
www.
RVPARTS PLUS.com

Errors and Omissions Excepted
Fuse Switch Application on 2005 and Newer Saturn Vue
Saturn recommends removing a 30 Amp (IGN) fuse in the under hood fusebox. We do not make a
FuseSwitch
for this application. Generally speaking, based on our experience, you do not need to
remove this fuse. If are removing a 10 Amp fuse in the passenger console panel area then we have a

FuseSwitch
that will eliminate removing this fuse.
When the 30 Amp fuse is pulled and the key is in the first position away from lock ( the Accessory
position) the following components receive power:
Windshield Wiper (
turn off)
Radio and clock display (
remove CD and turn off radio)
Four power window Switch LED's and
Mirror Compass.
Under these normal circumstances these components will be drawing between 0.6 and 0.7 amps. Thus in
7 hours of towing, you will draw the battery down by about 5 amps. (Since Saturn recommends starting
the V6 models every 7 hours clock time we use this limit) Certainly not enough to require you to pull a
fuse, in our opinion.
We recommend checking the current draw by reversing the fuse in the fuse box so that one leg overlaps
exterior of the fuse box. Using a Volt Ohm Meter set to measure Amps (usually a 10 amp scale with the
leads plugged into a different place on the meter), connect one lead to the exposed fuse leg and the other
to the other connection in the fuse box. Check the current draw when the key is turned to the first
(Accessory) position. If it is in this range then you can safely leave the fuse in.

Remember to turn off the switch after towing since you will continue to draw down the battery if
you do not.
This information is supplied to assist you, and in no way is suggesting that Saturn approves this
procedure, however there are many Saturn Vue's operating as Tow Cars without removing the specified
fuse.
Always check your car first since production changes can and do occur!

I trust you find this information useful. Should your Vue have you pulling the 10 AMP fuse in the
passenger compartment fuse box then contact us for the appropriate
FuseSwitch.
PizzaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:16 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
'98 Tradewind towing an 08 Outlook with SMI Air Force 1 braking system. I pull 50 amp fuse which disables stabilitrak. If this fuse is not pulled the toad brakes will be applied when going around sharp corners (turning off highways to streets).
Old 07-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaGuy View Post
I sent an email to RV Parts to order a switchable fuse for my 2007 Vue. Below is the reply I received today. I have not done the recommended test yet but I will tomorrow.

Don

www.
RVPARTS PLUS.com

Errors and Omissions Excepted
Fuse Switch Application on 2005 and Newer Saturn Vue
Saturn recommends removing a 30 Amp (IGN) fuse in the under hood fusebox. We do not make a
FuseSwitch

for this application. Generally speaking, based on our experience, you do not need to

remove this fuse. If are removing a 10 Amp fuse in the passenger console panel area then we have a
FuseSwitch

that will eliminate removing this fuse.

When the 30 Amp fuse is pulled and the key is in the first position away from lock ( the Accessory
position) the following components receive power:
Windshield Wiper (

turn off)

Radio and clock display (

remove CD and turn off radio)

Four power window Switch LED's and
Mirror Compass.
Under these normal circumstances these components will be drawing between 0.6 and 0.7 amps. Thus in
7 hours of towing, you will draw the battery down by about 5 amps. (Since Saturn recommends starting
the V6 models every 7 hours clock time we use this limit) Certainly not enough to require you to pull a
fuse, in our opinion.
We recommend checking the current draw by reversing the fuse in the fuse box so that one leg overlaps
exterior of the fuse box. Using a Volt Ohm Meter set to measure Amps (usually a 10 amp scale with the
leads plugged into a different place on the meter), connect one lead to the exposed fuse leg and the other
to the other connection in the fuse box. Check the current draw when the key is turned to the first
(Accessory) position. If it is in this range then you can safely leave the fuse in.
Remember to turn off the switch after towing since you will continue to draw down the battery if
you do not.
This information is supplied to assist you, and in no way is suggesting that Saturn approves this
procedure, however there are many Saturn Vue's operating as Tow Cars without removing the specified
fuse.

Always check your car first since production changes can and do occur!

I trust you find this information useful. Should your Vue have you pulling the 10 AMP fuse in the

passenger compartment fuse box then contact us for the appropriate
FuseSwitch.

Prevention of battery drain is the only reason to pull the fuse, Mileage WILL NOT accumulate, Transmission or Engine WILL NOT blow up and there WILL NOT be any electrical feedbacks between motorhome and toad. There is not enough of a battery drain to completely drain the battery in the 7 hours of allowable towing. But, the use of a supplement brake can drain the battery in less than 7 hours depending on how often the brake cycles. Because of the size of the 30amp fuse and wiring size to my knowledge there are no commerical made fuse switches. A lot of Saturn Vue owners have sucessfully made their own but, remember a permanently installed switch must have the wire sized for a 30amp load with a 30 amp load switch. I have an 07 Vue and use a supplemental brake and installed the Toad-Charge. I do not pull any fuse and really do not make sure all the accessories are off except for the radio before I begin towing. Prior to this, after a long day of towing and going through a lot of city stop and go traffic I would find my Vue's battery barely able to start the car due to the excess drain.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
While the owners manual in my '08 VUE FWD says nothing about pulling any fuses, I was told by the dealership to pull the 2amp "IGN" fuse when towing, altho they gave me no specific reason why. I do remember it had nothing to do with accumulating miles when being towed. Anyway after doing this religiously, the last two times I've towed my VUE, the battery has come up dead after one day! I've been sure to turn off any accessories like the radio, A/C, etc, but something still drew it down to the point I have nothing but a dead key when I try to start; no lights, radio or anything. I've had to jump start the vehicle to get it to run and after a short period it seems fine. I don't have a clue what I'm doing wrong and would sure appreciate any thoughts or input. TYVM

& Raleigh the Cavalier Wonder Dog Navigator
JanBCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #25

J.B. & B.J. Carter,
If you have a 12V auxillary brake like an Even Brake or Brake Buddy it could be draining the battery if you make a lot of stop and go's in traffic. On my 07 Vue the owners manual states to pull the 30amp IGN fuse but I found that some times after a lot of traveling doing a lot of stop and go's in traffic I would find my battery discharged after 7 hours of driving. If I started it at fuel stops it would be fine when I arrived. I decided to install a Toad-Charge to keep my Vue's battery charged and now I do not pull any fuse just plug in and go.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Found this article here http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...vue/index.html

Go the to bottom the page. This guy has the same problem as you. Click on the link in his message. this might be some help

Don
Old 08-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Don (or Carol): Thanks so much for your reply. Unfortunately the PDF file referred to in the reply to the previous question is on a web site (saturnteamembers.com) that is passworded and you apparently cannot sign up for it without being an actual Saturn team member....badge # and all. I'll keep trying and have posted a question to 'Saturn on-line asking for a copy of it....will see. Thanks again for your help

& Raleigh the Cavalier Wonder Dog Navigator
JanBCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:02 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry about that, try this link http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...heels-down-ing

It is a lot of information about the 08 Vue, I hope some of it can help you figure it out.

By the way, I googled -- towing a 2008 saturn vue -- there are a lot of places listed to look

Good Luck
Don

My vue is a 07 and my book tells me to pull the 30 amp ignition fuse. I tried to order a switchable fuse (earlier in this post) but was told I didn't even need to remove the 30 amp fuse. I do it anyway