Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #15
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I posted above that I had done this but I want to add some precautions I had. My tow bar had locking pins on the receiver and the base plate and I removed the umbilical cord for the night.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2014, 03:47 PM   #16
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When we're on the road for several days the toad remains hooked up if we have a pull through site. Like Cliff I use locking pins. And I always level the MH before I put the toad in Park so it can roll a few inches if required. I suppose I could leave it in Neutral but the CR-V towing prep calls for cycling through all the gearshift positions so starting from Park seems logical.

Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:51 PM   #17
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
I suppose I could leave it in Neutral but the CR-V towing prep calls for cycling through all the gearshift positions so starting from Park seems logical.

I was able to keep mine in neutral. I trust you have a good system to remind you to put it back in neutral before you leave 😉

Old 12-18-2014, 03:57 PM   #18
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I was able to keep mine in neutral. I trust you have a good system to remind you to put it back in neutral before you leave 😉
That would be called a Checklist
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #19
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yup. My checklist was supplemented by my CB mic wrapped around the gear shift lever.😄

Old 12-19-2014, 09:23 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I think it depends on your tow bar and how much you are out of level when you attempt to level your motorhome. When I towed 4 wheels down I stayed in places even with an All Terrain tow bar I had to be careful. If you are fairly close to level it shouldn't matter much, but if you are not close to level and you will be stretching the limits of your jacks to get level, I would unhook and then level. Otherwise, you should be able to tell how much bind you are putting on your tow bar.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:08 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Only if I need to drive the towed.. No reason to unhook it less you need like a foot of leveling or more.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:57 PM   #22

Well Gang,
To me, this is kind of a common sense thing. There are No RULES about disconnecting or, leaving connected if and when, the use of a "pull through" is acquired. Now, in the few dozen years we've been camping and traveling, by far, war more than the majority of pull-throughs we've encountered and or used, are fairly close to level. I mean, let's face it, why would a campground owner/builder take the time, money and effort to construct a pull through if it was NEVER to be used 'cause it was way too un level?

So, my point here is, it NORMALLY doesn't take much to level in a pull through. And, with that being said, then it's a matter of choice if you want to disconnect or not. Disconnecting a toad, takes what, maybe 3-4 minutes? So, it's not like it's a major effort to disconnect, to accommodate what ever situation and issues that may or may not be encountered.

And, even when and if, you leave the toad connected, you have all kinds of adjustment in leveling on the coach and not have any detrimental effects on the tow bar/towing system/toad. Again, let's face it, the tow bar yields quite a bit of flexibility for just that kind of difference in vehicle height. I mean, the toad and coach encounter different angles and heights, many times, at the same time (i.e. entering and leaving fuel stations, parking lots, camp grounds, and more).

So, leaving a toad connected, even when there's a fair amount of elevation difference between the connection point on the coach, and the ones on the toad, is no big deal. It's designed to take that. The toad will move back and forth, as the coach is jacked up or, lowered for leveling practices. I have seen many coaches at considerably higher bumper height than the toad, with things still connected.

Again, it's either common sense or, convenience. If you have no reason to disconnect after arriving at a site, i.e. going to dinner that has to be driven to or, need to run an get a part for the toad and or the coach, or, for any one of a zillion reasons to disconnect, and, you're planning on leaving bright and early, well then, it's obvious, you simply leave it connected, even if there's leveling to be done. Your choice.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:06 PM   #23
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutinyGuy View Post
Do you unhook your Toad if you park overnight and need to use your levelers...?

Not unless we need to run some errands!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad