Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2017, 10:01 PM   #1

Pulled Vehicle

Starting to look a little bit for a vehicle to pull behind my HR 36 with a 300 cummins, I know I want a smaller lighter rig could I get some suggestions? I want to be able to take four people in it and would prefer not to pull a dolly
codybones0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2017, 10:08 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Older Honda Odyssey or CR-V will do what you want. I towed a '05 Ody for many years even though Honda said it wasn't towable. I have friends that tow a 2010 Ody and haven't had any trouble. The last year of CR-V that can be towed is 2014.
The 2014 CR-V I bought a couple months ago weighs about 1,000#'s less than the Ody and tows easily.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:36 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply I have actually been looking at a few older CRVs, by the way I think you could pull my MH and my car behind that unit of yours, 650 horse is incredible I can only dream
codybones0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:44 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by codybones0 View Post
Thank you for your reply I have actually been looking at a few older CRVs, by the way I think you could pull my MH and my car behind that unit of yours, 650 horse is incredible I can only dream
Only rated to tow 15,000#'s though. GVWR of 54,000 and GCVWR of 69,000#'s. I never really noticed the Ody and the CR-V is even lighter. I don't hold traffic up unless they're going faster then the speed limit.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:19 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Besides the CRV, you might consider a Ford Escape, Focus, Fusion or Fiesta (they were all towable in 2012, for example), Chevy Sonic, on Honda Fit.

Chevy Equinoz or GMC Terrain come in a bit under 4000 lbs as well and are roomy and comfortable rides.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:20 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As well as the Chevy Captiva, which is a rebadged Saturn Vue. We like ours a lot. Comfortable seating for 4, auto transmission, less than 4000lbs. And room for our golf clubs in the back.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:01 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
X2 on a 2014 or older CRV. Prior to that, we had a 2006 Jeep Liberty. Both towed fine, but the CRV is about 500lbs lighter than the Jeep.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:47 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by codybones0 View Post
Starting to look a little bit for a vehicle to pull behind my HR 36 with a 300 cummins, I know I want a smaller lighter rig could I get some suggestions? I want to be able to take four people in it and would prefer not to pull a dolly
Well what is your tow rating? You've got a DP so don't be afraid to use it. Worst case would be a tow rating of 4k< most likely 5k or more. With that in mind there are a lot of TOADS you can use.
Jeep Cherokee seats 4 adults with room, most of the small GM SUV's will work. The first thing to do is read the Owners Manual and see if it's 4 Wheels Down towable. Most of these cars are under 5k lbs and you should have no issues towing them, because the Gasser's are doing it.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:58 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Besides the CRV, you might consider a Ford Escape, Focus, Fusion or Fiesta (they were all towable in 2012, for example), Chevy Sonic, on Honda Fit.

Chevy Equinoz or GMC Terrain come in a bit under 4000 lbs as well and are roomy and comfortable rides.
Be cautious with the Ford Escape, their 2.0 engine version is not towable. I always check towability on Remcotow.com.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Older Honda Odyssey or CR-V will do what you want. I towed a '05 Ody for many years even though Honda said it wasn't towable. I have friends that tow a 2010 Ody and haven't had any trouble. The last year of CR-V that can be towed is 2014.
The 2014 CR-V I bought a couple months ago weighs about 1,000#'s less than the Ody and tows easily.

Sent from my SM-G930T using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 01-24-2017, 10:30 PM   #10

Pulled Vehicle

We pull a 2014 Lincoln MKZ hybrid 4 wheels down behind our Thor diesel pusher. Lincoln built in a 'tow mode' that only requires a few button pushes on the steering wheel. It completely disconnects the drive train. Took me two days to rip the front panel off the car and install the Road Master base plates. After that there are only two round hold in the lower front grill when the tow setup is not installed. I added diodes to the lighting so it doesn't drain the battery. Takes a total of two minutes to connect or disconnect (with the DW doing the steering and tow-mode work.) we Have over 12,000 miles in 2 years with no issues (as long as we get it completely into tow mode that is.)
Bradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:50 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Currently tow a '12 CR-V AWD and no issues! Behind a DP, you would hardly even notice it. Had an '05 CR-V previous and a Chevy Cavalier man trans before that. Pulled those with a gasser and did notice them! You shouldn't have any issues with most any vehicle that can be pulled 4 down nehind your DP. The bigger challenge is finding that CR-V, or other desirable toads, at the right price before the next "hunter" finds it. They are tough to find as they are very popular! Good luck and happy trails.
chinobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:02 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
We have towed our 4,000# Ford Taurus X all over the country behind our 300 HP Cummins ISB powered MH with no problems. Yes, you won't fly up the mountains like a 500 horse, 1,500 lb torque powered rig will but you will get there safely and most likely will not be the slowest either.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote