Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:21 AM   #15

This is a 24'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	121
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	135293  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2016, 09:26 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a 20' stacker and carry two Gold Wings and an SUV plus some other "stuff". Trailer is a spread tri axle. Tongue weight with the triple axle is not an issue as the weight is 800 lbs. InTech built it to our specs with a 16' deck.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:37 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne1 View Post
This is a 24'
This is exactly what I am wanting to do. The only difference is our jeep is the 4 door.
Thanks!
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:03 AM   #18

We towed a 24' enclosed trailer behind our 39' DP a few times. Golf cart in front, car in back. Turned out to be more hassle then it was worth when we could just flat tow the car and live without the golf cart. Became a hassle too in campgrounds, what to do with the trailer if it wasn't a long enough pull thru or if it was a back in site. We were 77' total never had any issues. I think the better set up that accomplishes the same thing is to flat tow a pick up truck with the golf cart in the bed. Seen that a lot lately.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblondon View Post
We towed a 24' enclosed trailer behind our 39' DP a few times. Golf cart in front, car in back. Turned out to be more hassle then it was worth when we could just flat tow the car and live without the golf cart. Became a hassle too in campgrounds, what to do with the trailer if it wasn't a long enough pull thru or if it was a back in site. We were 77' total never had any issues. I think the better set up that accomplishes the same thing is to flat tow a pick up truck with the golf cart in the bed. Seen that a lot lately.
I do the truck with golf cart in the back also and when I was in new Mexico seen a lot of side by side done that way with a ramp up over cab and across the bed
Old 08-08-2016, 12:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
A commercial truck pulling two trailers is also known as a widow maker.
I call those "wiggle wagons", because when I pass them on the highway, that second trailer is usually wiggling around quite a bit.

Isn't taking a Jeep and a Rzr rather redundant? They serve pretty much the same function? Uh-oh, I may be poking the Jeep cartel here
Old 08-08-2016, 09:04 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
Isn't taking a Jeep and a Rzr rather redundant? They serve pretty much the same function? Uh-oh, I may be poking the Jeep cartel here
Not really. The RZR will run some of the trails you run with your Quads, but a properly setup Jeep will run Axle Alley at Florence Junction or Collateral Damage @ Table Mesa, or Black Viper @ Havasu. Your Quad or RZR can run past the entrance of the really good trails, but don't venture into them unless you have a built Jeep.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:37 PM   #22

Got any pictures of that set up??

Thanks
DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:36 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Jeep is a grocery catcher, shopping mall, street legal cruiser for us. Where as our XP1000 is purely an offroad stomper as with our KTM XC. I will admit I have way to many toys but Mom and Dad did not buy them for me!
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
This is exactly what I am wanting to do. The only difference is our jeep is the 4 door.
Thanks!
Looks like all the room has been taken up with the two door jeep, I'm thinking still either an extension on the back of the trailer for the extra length, or an extra two feet of trailer.

Granted you can do some remarkable things with an open flat bed trailer that you can't with an enclosed.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:10 AM   #25

There is plenty of room on that 24ft trlr in the post above for a 4dr. The rear tires could be just at the rear of the trlr and possibly the RZR could go forward some. I hauled 2 mc and a 4dr Wrangler on a 20ft with room to spare. Also if the RZR is 8'6" or less you can load it crossways.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:48 AM   #26

The laws in your home state dictate your overall length for INTRASTATE travel. Travel outside your home state and the INTERSTATE laws apply. Please note the differences , INTRA - INTER. Most states use the interstate laws which is 65' length for single vehicle towing 1 trailer and 75' for vehicle towing 2 trailers. There is also the drivers license requirements for length and weight that come into play also..
Your best option would be a tilt ramp on the nose for cart/rzr that tilts up after loading so you can drive jeep under to keep trailer length as short as possible.
It is not legal to flat tow the jeep with a trailer behind ( hitch requirements ).
There are a multitude of legalitys that come into play here and some people don't care. Remember, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:00 PM   #27

I have been told so many times that I am not legal at 75' and will get stopped. Maybe they are right, but this is what I have learned. For some unknown reason, the LEO's tend to overlook length violations with RV's. One answer I received from a State Patrolman was that if you are driving in a prudent manner, within the speed limit and not posing a hazard on the road, he will not bother stopping an RV'er for a possible overlength violation. I know that's no guarantee that I won't get stopped, but until I do, I will continue to keep my MH & trailer in top condition, observe the traffic laws and be considerate of others on the road. Three years, 35,000 miles and counting.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:08 PM   #28

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I have been told so many times that I am not legal at 75' and will get stopped. Maybe they are right, but this is what I have learned. For some unknown reason, the LEO's tend to overlook length violations with RV's. One answer I received from a State Patrolman was that if you are driving in a prudent manner, within the speed limit and not posing a hazard on the road, he will not bother stopping an RV'er for a possible overlength violation. I know that's no guarantee that I won't get stopped, but until I do, I will continue to keep my MH & trailer in top condition, observe the traffic laws and be considerate of others on the road. Three years, 35,000 miles and counting.
You're correct, following the other rules of good driving will most likely not draw the ire of police.

Problem would be if you do get involved in an accident, or even someone purposely causes an accident with you, they've got the over-length issue to increase your liability. I hope you have an umbrella insurance policy!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote