Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-07-2016, 05:24 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Pulling a 26' car hauler

We normally flat tow our jeep. But would also like at times to take the Rzr or golfcart also. Found an aluminum 26' open car hauler. Just want to know of others pulling something this long. With MH and trailer tongue I would be at 74'. I also thought of pulling 12' trailer behind jeep, then I would be triple towing. What do ya'll think the best alternative would be?
Thanks,

lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2016, 07:21 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
It's according to where you plan to drive. Many states have restrictions on triple towing and mandate a shorter length than the 74' you'll have. Many will jump in here and say, "I tow over length all the time and never been stopped." But it only takes once....

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #3

Bob's correct. I pull a 26' enclosed aluminum trailer with a 75' length. My sons new coach with trailer is 78' long. We met three rigs last year in St George that were over 80' long and had come from the east coast going to CA. No problems anywhere. A $16 seven day permit is available to travel in CA. Load up your trailer and enjoy.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
We normally flat tow our jeep. But would also like at times to take the Rzr or golfcart also. Found an aluminum 26' open car hauler. Just want to know of others pulling something this long. With MH and trailer tongue I would be at 74'. I also thought of pulling 12' trailer behind jeep, then I would be triple towing. What do ya'll think the best alternative would be?
Thanks,
Well Sir,
First off, 74' is over the length of many (I don't have a complete list) of states limits for total length. If you tug along that 12' unit, you'll be ultra close to 90' including the tongue(s). While many can get away with 70-80' or so, I think many state troopers WOULD notice a pretty close to 90' long combination and, a motor home towing two trailers at that. I'm certainly one for bringing along all the toys, for sure. But, at what risk? And, by the way, wouldn't towing your aluminum trailer and the 12' one be considered "doubles" instead of "triples"?

I mean, we've seen hundreds of Tractor trailers (UPS, PIE and more) outside of CA towing THREE trailers so, I would think that would be termed "triples" but, only two, would be termed "doubles". Just wondering.

Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:45 PM   #5

Personally, I think you have too many toys. If you're going to a place for your Rzr and Jeep, why would you need a golf cart? This is overkill.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:19 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
If you look the terms up, double towing and triple towing, they are used for the same configuration. One tow vehicle, 2 trailers. It would seem to me it's 'double towing' but you'll often see it referred to as triple towing. I guess then you count the tow vehicle as the third one, but its not being towed....

If you Google images of both terms, you'll often see the same photos for both definitions. Often a 5th wheel and a boat, a travel trailer and a flat bed trailer for snowmobiles or 4 wheelers, etc.

One site said truckers call it 'double bottom' to have two trailers behind a tractor.

Also saw a reference that the 65' length limit only applies to commercial trucks - - that was a new one on me, most commercial trailers are 53' long, with many tractors, that's got to be more than 65.'

I also wondered about needing a Jeep, RZR and golf cart. I know that the person with the most toys wins, but I also believe you can't take it (all) with you.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:42 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Personally, I think you have too many toys. If you're going to a place for your Rzr and Jeep, why would you need a golf cart? This is overkill.

It would be jeep and rzr or jeep and golf cart. I may have worded my original statement incorrectly.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:55 PM   #8

A commercial truck pulling two trailers is also known as a widow maker.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:10 PM   #9

I pull a 26 foot in closed, car hauler trailer. I don't see you having the room to carry what you are planning for. I think you'll need a 28 foot trailer to clear the ends of the vehicles without bumping something.

I can only carry a small car, or the two bikes, but not both. I'm looking for a 28 footer, or a 26 foot stacker in the future. I guess I want to carry too much also, but at least this way I'll have any weather situation covered.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:40 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
I pull a 26 foot in closed, car hauler trailer. I don't see you having the room to carry what you are planning for. I think you'll need a 28 foot trailer to clear the ends of the vehicles without bumping something.

I can only carry a small car, or the two bikes, but not both. I'm looking for a 28 footer, or a 26 foot stacker in the future. I guess I want to carry too much also, but at least this way I'll have any weather situation covered.

DTW
See post #7. 26' would be plenty.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:42 AM   #11

Doubles is 2 trailers, triples is 3 trailers unless referred to by rv'ers that are back east where triples are not seen on a daily basis. Also its none of anybodys business how many toys this person has or wants just how to haul them.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:55 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
For a truck/trailer combo the max length is 65' - the kicker here is the word "truck"..for terms of length considerations a motorhome is considered a truck (it can haul cargo).

There is no overall length limit for a truck tractor/trailer combination - the length limit for the trailer in most states is 59' - no limit on tractor length (ie: your typical 18 wheeler is a truck tractor/trailer combination). 59' is the max for one trailer or two (or three) however there are about 6 states that were grandfathered in to longer legal length limits .. I don't remember which states they are but you will often see long doubles or triples in those states.

These laws apply to all vehicles (commercial or not) unless there is an exception carved out and most states have them for emergency and governmental vehicles (fire trucks, city buses, etc.. etc...).
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:56 AM   #13

I tow a 24ft open put a golf cart in front
and the car behind it
Old 08-08-2016, 09:12 AM   #14

May be time for a stacker. But then you would have to address tongue weight.