Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Pulling a fuse???

Hey All,

I have been towing my 2008 CRV for the past year and have had no problems, but last night I was reading an old "Motorhome" magazine article and I am now concerned....

There was a piece that said that some fuses must be pulled to shut the battery off.????

I have never pulled any fuses...in fact, I don't even know where the fuses might be. I apologize because I am just trying to follow the instructions given to me by Remco and the Honda dealership but I am scared now.... They never said that I had to pull any fuses....

I am the chief cook and bottlewasher of the RV because Hubby is disabled and now I am afraid to move an inch without knowing where the fuses are....

The article said something about fuses 19 and then some other numbers.... I have a 2008 CRV and I need to have someone tell me where these fuses are and if I need to crawl under the Car to disconnect something beforewe head out again....

Faith

fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 06:20 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fuses

I've been towing our 2008 for almost 3 years. Never pulled a fuse. We've only have battery problems when one of us forgets to turn the navigation system display off. I carry a jump starting battery for those occasions.

We rarely drive more than 5 or 6 hours a day.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:28 PM   #3

As, Muddypaws, says the main reason for removing fuses it to prevent battery drain, the other is to stop the odometer from rolling up miles.
If your battery ; toad ; isn't going dead, and you haven't noticed the mileage increasing, I'd say don't worry about it.
But having jumper cables and knowing how to use them is always a good idea.

If your Honda dealer and Remco installer didn't mention fuse removal, the article may not apply to your year/model of Honda.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #4

Carolina Campers
You should read the manual. I have a 2013 CR-V. Your 2008 should be the same as mine in regard to the fuse. You do not need to pull it unless you want to flat tow it for more then 8 hours or more during the day. We usually only go about 300 miles in a day, so it is never a problem. The reason so pull the fuse is only because you may run down the battery if you simply flat tow the car for long periods without starting the car. If I do pull it for longer hulls, I simply start the car when I stop for gas, or other stops, and let it run for a while. Regardless if you pull the fuse or not, mine does not run up the millage on the odometer.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:30 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Don't you have an "owner's manual"? It will describe everything you need to know about this subject.

But, if you've been pulling this CRV for that amount of years without pulling a fuse, I sure wouldn't worry about it now. And no, you don't have to get under the car at all...if you got this info from Remco, I think it was in reference to their driveshaft disconnect.......and a CRV doesn't have one of those.

Good luck

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #6

If you have been towing all this time without a problem, keep on trucking. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
The only reason for pulling a fuse is to avoid having a dead battery on long trips. If you are traveling for less than 4 hrs per trip, you should not have a problem.
However, you should have a set of booster cables and know how to use them just in case.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:33 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cars come in many flavors when it comes to towing.. SOME have an ignition switch with positions like this

ACC, LOCK, OFF, ON, Start

Some it's Lock, ACC, ON, Start and you have to pull fuse to keep it from running the battery down.. Do not know why they did away with the OFF position.

Some you need to pull a fuse to shut down one or another system (Odometer for example).

Many,, You don't touch the fuses at all.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks All...

You have put my mind at ease...at least untill the next crisis hits.....

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:54 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I have the 2007 crv with navigation. If you don't have that you should be ok. i had to add a shut off switch because my battery would go dead.
Scott
ScottsJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:58 AM   #10

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by fansill View Post
Thanks All... You have put my mind at ease...at least untill the next crisis hits..... Faith
It is good that you did get some good advice, but I would ask you to be sure you pull out the manual for your CR-V and read the section for "Recreational Towing", like towing behind an RV. That is truly your best advice you will get.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansill View Post
Thanks All...

You have put my mind at ease...at least untill the next crisis hits.....

Faith
Faith:

When I had my baseplate and electrical connection installed I was told that they were going to install a switch to disable the fuse so I did not need to pull it prior to towing. When I went to pick up my car I looked for this switch, could not find, so I asked the service guy where it was installed? He told me that I did not need a disconnect switch because he installed a charging wire to keep my battery charged while I drive. I have pulled my car beyond the 8 hour limit without any problems. One other thing to note, if you plan on pulling your Honda greater then 8 hours my owners manual directs me to start the engine and go through the pre-towing check list again, i.e. run through the gears stopping in neutral.

I am telling you this story because like other have said, you may not be towing long enough at any one time to run the battery down or you may have had the charging wire installed without knowing? If you are interested in knowing if you have a charging wire I would take my car to a RV shop that installs towing systems and have them check.

One other Item I have is a battery level sensor internal in my braking system that will warn me if the battery gets low.

Jack
Old 02-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Over the summer last I rented a 1014 Jeep Patroit from Enterprise,, When they picked me up it had 12 miles on it, Full time electronic 4 wheel drive.

The "recreational towing" section on that jeep was short.. in fact just one word, which I'll translate "DON'T" (Actually said prohibited).

But yes, reading the manual is best.> Trust that the sales guy has not read the manual and may even not know how.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:16 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Faith, I think if you've had no problem so far, you're probably fine.

Alternatively, it may be that when your coach was originally set up to tow, someone had the good sense to install a charge line from the coach batteries to the toad. Charge line = no battery drain problem.

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse