Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Pulling driveshaft vs Demco kit

All three of our vehicles would require either a transmission pump (Solara & Yaris) or driveshaft disconnect (F150) in order to be towed 4-down. I do not have space to store a dolly or trailer. Can I pull the driveshaft (or disconnect the end and secure in some way) on the F150? Toad weight is not an issue in my situation (10,000lb hitch and 54,000 GCWR). I would add supplementary brakes.

The F150 is a 2007 SCREW SWB 4x4 5.4L AT. Approx 5500 UVW.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2013, 09:18 AM   #2

Pulling/re-installing the drive shaft seems like a lot of work every time you have to hook up & unhook.
I've worked with friend's rigs that have the Demco or Remco driveshaft disconnect. If installed properly they work great. Hook up the toad, reach in the cab, pull the disconnect. When you need to unhook, reach in the cab & connect. Way friendlier than crawling under the rig in the rain, dirt, gravel, every time you take off or stop. Not cheap, but worth the price.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's been a long time since I messed with a drive shaft, but I doubt they've changed a lot.

Remove 4 nuts, slide shaft forward on spline, secure bearing caps (tape wrap) secure shaft to a cross member making sure it can't slide back and contact diff.

Glenn
Old 05-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
........Remove 4 nuts, slide shaft forward on spline, secure bearing caps (tape wrap) secure shaft to a cross member making sure it can't slide back and contact diff.

Glenn

Sounds like a lot of fun if you have to lay in a mud puddle or wet pavement to do it.

Could also be a hoot if it is cold out.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would not want to disconnect/connect driveshaft - way too much hassle, even in good weather with dry ground...

Remco works well - but pricy.

How about just getting an already 4 down capable vehicle as a toad?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #6

We talked to a guy once who had some type of a Toyota pickup he used as a toad ...can't remember if it was a Tacoma or how it was equipped, but he told us he manually disconnects the drive shaft each time he tows. As Glenn mentioned, this guy said it was four bolts and the shaft would come apart and at first, he'd tie it down and secure it underneath. But after he thought about it, he started disassembling it entirely because he didn't want it to fall off on the roadway while underway.

He told us that now that he's done it so many times, it's just routine to him but, man, we'd agree with others here that I sure wouldn't want to go through that procedure every time I wanted to tow it. This guy was in his late 60s but didn't mind crawling under and doing that each and every time he towed.

Not for me.

...and, I'm always worried about the situations where we may need to unhook and move the toad immediately. We've run into that situation three times. Once was when I was alone and I mistakenly got trapped in a dead-end fairly late at night. It was hassle enough to unhook the toad but if I had to crawl under and re-connect the drive shaft in a residential area, it would have frustrated me to no end.

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:31 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Been there done that, never towed a lot mostly to a long stay destination. Once we started doing more short trips it quickly became a pain. We then started towing an Explorer much nicer.
If I was going to tow a pickup without a neutral position in the transfer case I would get a rear drive shaft disconnect.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:15 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Pulling/re-installing the drive shaft seems like a lot of work every time you have to hook up & unhook.
I've worked with friend's rigs that have the Demco or Remco driveshaft disconnect. If installed properly they work great. Hook up the toad, reach in the cab, pull the disconnect. When you need to unhook, reach in the cab & connect. Way friendlier than crawling under the rig in the rain, dirt, gravel, every time you take off or stop. Not cheap, but worth the price.
Hi EngineerMike-would this disconnect work on a Mustang? I really want to toad a tang.