Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2010, 07:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta_P View Post
Our battery on our 08 CRV Toad died on our trip back from Tampa in January because we forgot to pull the fuse. I have a battery disconnect switch on hand I could install, but we have the factory in-dash navigation in our CRV. Would the Battery disconnect switch cause me problems?

I think I could make a fuse disconnect switch pretty easily and a lot cheaper than the ones posted here if that would be the safer route, but if the battery disconnect would work, I have that on hand... Thanks...
This is what I got from a Master Certified Honda Technician and he seemed to know what he was talking about. I think I got this right and it only applies to 2007 and later CR-V's - earlier CR-V's were wired different.

Disconnecting the battery will not effect the factory installed navigation system. You will lose all power to the radio and will have to enter the security code and reset the radio station pre-sets. The engine "may" run rough and the transmission "may" shift roughly the first few miles because the ECM has to re-learn the engine and transmission. And of course, the power door locks and security system will be disabled.

Many people call the fuse that Honda recommends to put the radio fuse and that is only partly true. That fuse supplies voltage to several relays and then those relays supply voltage to features and accessories such as 12 volt outlets, the heating / air conditioner fan, etc. Unless you pull the fuse those relays are activated all the time and draw current from the battery.

As discussed above there are several ways to get around pulling the fuse, but disconnecting the battery is the most intrusive and is not recommended.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
This would be way too light duty for the 50 amp circuit. I used 10 ga wire and a Heavy Duty 50 amp 12 V Switch. I crimped on connectors to use the stock fuse and ran the wires just inside the top of the fender, through the door opening into the glove Box to hold the switch. Carefully taped all connections to prevent short.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
It cost me less then $7 to put a remote switch on my HHR under the steering wheel on the #8 2 AMP fuse.
I can pull the car 4 days straight and never turn key off from the ACC.
And it will start with no problem at destination. No battery power loss.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
It cost me less then $7 to put a remote switch on my HHR under the steering wheel on the #8 2 AMP fuse.
I can pull the car 4 days straight and never turn key off from the ACC.
And it will start with no problem at destination. No battery power loss.
Could you PM me the info for this? I'm wanting to do the same thing to my HHR. Does it allow the cigarette lighter to stay hot? My brake system needs it for power.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:52 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS30 View Post
I will assume pulling the fuse on certain towed vehicles is for the purpose of keeping the battery voltage from being pulled down due to the draw from accessories being on when the ignition switch is in the accessory position while towing. ASSUMING THAT
There are several reasons to pull a fuse on toads not the least of which... it disconnects the speedometer (at least on an '04 Vue.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:35 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thats one nice thing about the Wrangler.
While its being towed, odometer is also disconnected.
At least on our 09 it s that way.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:33 AM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnmarine View Post
Could you PM me the info for this? I'm wanting to do the same thing to my HHR. Does it allow the cigarette lighter to stay hot? My brake system needs it for power.
Could you send me info on this also. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:58 PM   #22

I did this a couple of weeks ago. I installed a switch in the radio bezel next to the cigarette lighter, then a inline mini fuse holder. Installed the #8 2 amp fuse and used filed spades for the connections to the box.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:23 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I used a simple blade switch that I picked up at a local RV dealer. Took about 5 minutes to install. I've had no adverse affects on either drivability or with the radio (I do not loose my presets). Other vehicles or radios may be different than our 07 Wrangler.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:15 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
I saw a warning about disconnecting the battery, but my '07 Jeep, Wrangler Sahara four door, manual says TO DISCONNECT the negative battery cable when using the Jeep as a toad. It doesn't say anything about having to reset things, but I can see where the radio presets would be wiped out. Other than that I feel that the manual would worn me NOT to disconnect it if anything serious would happen. Joe
Old 06-18-2010, 09:08 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Mine is also an 07 Wrangler, and I do NOT lose the radio presets. For whatever reason, when first turned on, it will show it's tuned to 530 AM, but hit any of my preset buttons and they're still there.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:21 PM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I also hooked a Toad Charger from LSL Products and works just fine.
fatguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
CR-V Dead Battery

Paul, we have towed an Accord for sometime without a problem with the ignition in the accessory position. However, at night when I stop I do remove the key. We just purchased a 2010 CR-V which we haven't towed as yet, but as I understand, it is suppose to work the same as the Accord, using the accessory position when underway. I didn't see anything in the manual about having to pull a fuse while towing. Does the 2008 CR-V manual state that a fuse may have to be removed when towing that model year? You didn't find a bad cell in your battery by chance did you? Thanks for any additional information you may be able to provide relative to towing your CR-V.
David
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Why not run a hot wire from the coach to the toad battery and avoid all the trouble of taking out fuses, or installing a switch? They have been doing this on travel trailers for years.