Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:15 PM   #29
Alpine Owners Club
Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
Paul, we have towed an Accord for sometime without a problem with the ignition in the accessory position. However, at night when I stop I do remove the key. We just purchased a 2010 CR-V which we haven't towed as yet, but as I understand, it is suppose to work the same as the Accord, using the accessory position when underway. I didn't see anything in the manual about having to pull a fuse while towing. Does the 2008 CR-V manual state that a fuse may have to be removed when towing that model year? You didn't find a bad cell in your battery by chance did you? Thanks for any additional information you may be able to provide relative to towing your CR-V.
I have the 2009 CRV. They do recommend pulling the radio fuse but it is a real PAIN to get back in. I did it once and have never bothered since. The important things with the CRV is be sure you are in the I position on the ignition (not II). There are two off positions. If you leave it in the II position, you will rack up miles on the odometer AND there is a battery draw. Learned the hard way. But since that 1X, I regularly go 8 hours at a time pulling the CRV with the radio fuse in and the ignition in the I position. Be sure you turn off the power to the radio. No problems with dead batteries. The CRV has to be started every 8 hours of towing per the owners manual, working through all the gears on the tranny.

So, my advice with the CRV is leave the fuse in unless you have teeny little fingers and are able to work well under a dash to replace it.

After my one experience with dead battery when I left it in position II and did not turn off power to the radio, I did buy one of those battery boost jump starters (you charge the portable battery and have it ready to go to jump the vehicle in need). Haven't had to use it on the CRV but did help out a stranged motorist in a parking lot with a dead battery so I know it works.

Jaime & Dave (and our 3 cocker spaniels)
2005 Alpine Coach 36FDTS w/ 2009 Honda CR-V, Doran TPMS, Roadmaster Towbar, US Gear Braking
Dave and Jaime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2010, 11:07 AM   #30
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For our 06 Vue, I put my own fuse switch in, located below the steering wheel. It makes tow prep easier, and it much nicer when driving more than 7 hours in a day and I have to reset the car. Photos of my installation are here.

2007 Itasca Sunova 35J
2006 Saturn Vue
CurbCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #31
Can I ask what braking system you use, I just boutht my first Honda CR-V and am setting it up to tow.. Thanks Mike
mlafarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #32
I have used the same Brake Buddy for 106,000 miles of towing and it still works good. I have towed two Honda CR-Vs and have never pulled a fuse. So far my battery has not died.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #33
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a 2010 CR-V, and the owners manual does recommend pulling a fuse. We've never bothered as we have never towed for more than a few hours, but we've also bought and always carry jumper cables just in case. Once we finally figured out how to turn off the navigation system screen we figure there can't be very much current draw. No problems so far, but this is our first tow car so I'm knocking wood.

For MLaFarge, we bought the SMI Stay-and-Play Duo: STAY-IN-PLAY DUO | SMI Manufacturing Inc. Everything is permanently installed on the car and basically invisible. Nothing to lift and put in place. Once you've gone through the Honda pre-towing routine to get ready you just flip the SMI switch to "on" The Honda pre-towing routine takes longer, and we've learned to do that first, then hook up the tow bar while the engine is running in N.

We're planning to keep our Honda for 8 - 10 years like our last one, so we don't really care that the braking system is permanent, but our shop said that it could be taken out and installed on another car when we buy the next one.
Bruce & Dan

2009 Monaco Monarch 33 SFS; W22 Chassis; Safe-T-Steer; Koni FSD shocks; 2010 CR-V Toad
brucemcdou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #34
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by mlafarge View Post
Can I ask what braking system you use, I just boutht my first Honda CR-V and am setting it up to tow.. Thanks Mike
We have the Unified Tow Brake by US Gear. It is permanently installed in the car, so you just have to hook the car to the MH, run through the Saturn tow prep procedure and go.
2007 Itasca Sunova 35J
2006 Saturn Vue
CurbCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:02 PM   #35
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Toad Charge from LSL Products works great.
Charles and Edith
2016 Coachmen Pursuit 33BH w/2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport
2013 Honda Metropolitan NCH50
fatguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:30 PM   #36
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by Norm4015 View Post
This is what I got from a Master Certified Honda Technician and he seemed to know what he was talking about. I think I got this right and it only applies to 2007 and later CR-V's - earlier CR-V's were wired different.

Disconnecting the battery will not effect the factory installed navigation system. You will lose all power to the radio and will have to enter the security code and reset the radio station pre-sets. The engine "may" run rough and the transmission "may" shift roughly the first few miles because the ECM has to re-learn the engine and transmission. And of course, the power door locks and security system will be disabled.

Many people call the fuse that Honda recommends to put the radio fuse and that is only partly true. That fuse supplies voltage to several relays and then those relays supply voltage to features and accessories such as 12 volt outlets, the heating / air conditioner fan, etc. Unless you pull the fuse those relays are activated all the time and draw current from the battery.

As discussed above there are several ways to get around pulling the fuse, but disconnecting the battery is the most intrusive and is not recommended.
A battery disconnect is recommended in my '07 Wrangler. I guess it is different for each make of vehicle. I don't care about losing preset radio stations. Joe

2008 Itasca Latitude 39W. Cummins ISB 6.7 Turbo 340HP. Allison 6 Speed. Freightliner XCS. Michelin XRV 255/80R 22.5 LRG. SuperSteer MCU. Safe-T-Plus.
azloafer is offline   Reply With Quote