Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2010, 07:40 AM   #1

Pulling fuses on toad vehicle

I will assume pulling the fuse on certain towed vehicles is for the purpose of keeping the battery voltage from being pulled down due to the draw from accessories being on when the ignition switch is in the accessory position while towing. ASSUMING THAT, Has any one ever used an interupt switch(safety disconnect) such as the ones used in marine or race car applications, that would be installed on the battery cables?
SAS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS30 View Post
I will assume pulling the fuse on certain towed vehicles is for the purpose of keeping the battery voltage from being pulled down due to the draw from accessories being on when the ignition switch is in the accessory position while towing. ASSUMING THAT, Has any one ever used an interupt switch(safety disconnect) such as the ones used in marine or race car applications, that would be installed on the battery cables?
You can buy a fuse switch here RV parts, accessories and supplies, rv, rv accessories.

I did and it works great.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The Battery Brain works well with toads that require a battery disconnect.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:13 PM   #4

There are drawbacks to disconnecting the battery. In many cars the radio will lose its memory and has to be reset - including some that need a security code keyed in. The engine EMC may lose its memory and revert to default mode. The power door locks will not work.

There are three options you can use.
1) Remove the fuse.
2) Wire an On/Off switch in the fuse circuit.
3) Run wires (proper size wires with fuses) from the motorhome batteries to the toad's battery.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:59 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
You can buy a fuse switch here RV parts, accessories and supplies, rv, rv accessories.

I did and it works great.

Cliff
I can't tell from the picture. How/where did you mount the switch?
Old 04-15-2010, 06:31 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
I can't tell from the picture. How/where did you mount the switch?
Hi JIm

If you email them, they will send you photos. By the way check out the latest post in our favorite thread.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:55 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We had an auto electrician mount a disconnect switch in our Saturn Vue. It took him about 20 minute and didn't cost a lot.

We have had no ill effects from the switch and the car does not loose anything memory wise. We should have done this right from the start because this is just so much more convinient than having to remove a fuse from under the hood.

The switch now also doubles as an anti-theft device because if you don't know where to activate it you are not going anywhere.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:26 AM   #8

I hooked up a toad charger on my 08 honda crv.... works great
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heartland RV Club
My problems of draining the toad battery was solved when my mechanic suggested I run a "hot" fused wire from my motorhome battery to the toad battery . Works great and the motorhome alternator keeps the toad battery from going down due to heavy braking of the auxilary brake system.
Schrimscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:37 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to HotMech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrimscher View Post
My problems of draining the toad battery was solved when my mechanic suggested I run a "hot" fused wire from my motorhome battery to the toad battery . Works great and the motorhome alternator keeps the toad battery from going down due to heavy braking of the auxilary brake system.

That is how my US Gear Unified Brake System is hooked up. It has that hook up in the install instructions due to the little vacuum pump that runs to make up the vacuum in the brake booster.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:05 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
On our 09 Wrangler, the installer ran a wire from the battery to the toad thru the plug that keeps the toad battery trickle chanrged similar to a travel trailer.
Works great.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS30 View Post
Another fuse switch.

Quadratec Exclusive JW-DLB - TJ Dome Light Switch for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Drained with fuse Pulled overnight

I have a 2010 GMC Acadia that I pull the BAT1 fuse while towing. I have found that If I do not reconnect the fuse and pull the key overnight the battery is dead in the morning. Maybe I have to go to a full disconnect.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:16 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Our battery on our 08 CRV Toad died on our trip back from Tampa in January because we forgot to pull the fuse. I have a battery disconnect switch on hand I could install, but we have the factory in-dash navigation in our CRV. Would the Battery disconnect switch cause me problems?

I think I could make a fuse disconnect switch pretty easily and a lot cheaper than the ones posted here if that would be the safer route, but if the battery disconnect would work, I have that on hand... Thanks...
Gotta_P is offline   Reply With Quote