Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2016, 04:07 PM   #1

Pulling my 4x4 Nissan Frontier Auto trans.

OK, Brand nebie site member here, with a new-to-us 2000 CC 40' Intrigue/Cummins 350 and Allison combo on Freightliner. Bought the MH in early August with minor issues we will deal with soon enough.

**moving from western N.Y. to Oregon coast in summer of '17.**

I've learned a bunch in the 24 hours I've been with IRV2!! But I could use all the help I can get. My issue today is towing our 2006 Nissan 4x4 crew cab with an auto transmission.

We've owned the truck for years(and love it), and just recently decided to tow it to Oregon with us next year (instead of sell it).

Is This The Best Way to TOAD my Nissan?? looks like I have no choice but to put it on a dolly. I figure un-bolting and re-bolting the drive line; capping where needed, etc. is a project worth doing 2 or 3 times in a 2 week trip. I'm handy with a wrench and a cheapo DIY kinda guy.

places like southern Utah Parks, Vegas/Hoover Dam, Maybe Frisco are some stops we're considering unhooking the truck.

Thanks in advance, Glad to be here.
Mark and Dianna
markndianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2016, 05:29 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you checked the fmca towing guides for that year or a recreational towing section of the owners manual?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:58 PM   #3

Yes vsheetz, their dinghy guide says "no" to my model year and going 4 down. I'm not a tow dolly fan per se, but I'd have no worries either. I don't think I need a $2000 install to split the drive. I guess I'd rather buy a $2000 +/- dolly.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:14 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I would rather get the drive shaft clutch .Or a Remco pump that might work for you .Other wise you will only put that drive shaft on and off once on your trip . Just saying that is not a fun job .
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:47 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

For $2000 you can buy or rent (U-Haul) a full trailer for the Frontier and avoid the laborious drive disconnect. That's what I would do.

If you go the dolly route and disconnect the drive shaft, you can pick up a used dolly in nice shape for around $1000. And resell it for about the same if you don't need it later.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:34 AM   #6

I have taken apart this drive line before, and I didnt think it was that intense of a job, but you're probably right excell. Gary, I think you think like I've been thinking. I bought the DP with the intent of pulling a larger trailer with my household items, but we really are downsizing the home. The Nissan will likely not be our toad in the future, so I'm not gonna install the disconnect or the pump thingy. A trailer is not an issue for handling or economy or other issues. and it can be sold just as easily on the other coast.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:21 PM   #7

If you disconnect the rear driveshaft you can tow it 4 down. No dolly needed. A more elegant long term solution is to install a driveshaft disconnect though it is pricey(Remco Drive Shaft Coupling). This is how I tow my Xterra. Same drivetrain as the Frontier.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:41 PM   #8

Not sure a dolly will work for you either--not without disconnecting the rear drive shaft. Lubing the rear tail section of the auto tranny with the engine off is the issue here. If you manually disconnect the drive shaft, you will have to reconnect it to use as a towed. Traveling cross-country, there are numerous things to see and do that often requires a towed vehicle to see them. Sometimes its just having the option to go get dinner or something, when you what. A 40' DP really limits where you can go/park, and the things you can see if you cannot disconnect your towed on a whim and go. If you plan to keep this truck as a tow vehicle for the longer-term, I highly recommend you make the investment now and get a drive shaft-spliter installed.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:32 PM   #9

All these considerations are for the first and only x-country trip. Wanting to get our Nissan out west with us. Sure we want to use the toad a few times along the way. But for the next few years after this move, at least with this coach, we will be traveling only out west and not needing the toad so much...or at least not this one.

Just talking about a dolly: I caught a 4 year old thread on this exact issue, except his was a 2008. Remco does not make the disconnect for this truck with an auto trans. He solved it like I was considering before. He disconnected the driveline at the rear and secured it well to the underside of the truck (secured very well, I assume). No fluids were involved. He said it took him only minutes each time.

If (big if) I pull a 16' trailer and get the truck clear off the ground, it solves all these issues , but raises others. How difficult will RV parks be with that rig set up? I do not mind the size of this combination, and I don't think we will mind boondocking, but I doubt I can combine boondocking with unloading my truck in order to see the local sights. Doesn't that seem logical?