Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2018, 10:21 PM   #1

Pulling my toad behind another's RV

I plan to tow our 2017 Wrangler behind our not-yet-purchased RV.

I also think about transporting other RVs to gain experience and explore the country, using my JK as toad. (Just got my CDL Class B license.)

Would like your advice on any key criteria for selecting tow bar and base plate to use, especially if/when transporting someone else's rig.

Also, how would I best address a braking system for the JK in a transporting situation?
Is there an industry standard that makes it easy to
adapt a toad braking system to any coach I might be driving?
Schake is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2018, 10:56 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Roadmaster Towing | Hitchsource.com
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:36 AM   #3

Schake-

Some suggestions. Not a comprehensive list. Be prepared to sell some of the equipment if it does not match your coach well.

1) Brake system

Drop-in options:
Blue OX Patriot

Mechanically-activated options:
NSA Ready Brute or Ready-Brute Elite

Electrically-actuated options:
Demco/SMI Stay-in-Play Duo

Air-actuated options
M&G
Demco/SMI AFO (Air Force One)

These require an air activation signal and will NOT work with all coaches. They may be what you want to install if you eventually buy a coach with air brakes.

Make sure you have a breakaway system, too.

2) Baseplates and Towbars

Jeep owners have options that other car owners don't have, such as attaching the towbar to aftermarket bumpers instead of baseplates. I suggest you search this forum for information on that. If you don't go that route, baseplates and towbars from Roadmaster, Blue Ox and Demco are popular choices.

3) Drop hitch

Any particular coach may require a drop hitch to level the towbar. A lifted Jeep may require reversing the drop hitch to raise the connection. I've seen mentioned on iRV2 hitches with as little as 2 inches drop and as much as 16 inches. You need to have drop hitches available, as the coach you deliver may not have one.

4) Lights

The Jeep will need lights to be legal. Multiple options. Search the forum.

5) Other thoughts

Some coaches may not be able to tow more than 4,000 pounds. You might consider purchasing a smaller, lighter toad, such as a 2014-or-earlier Honda Fit, to use for this "delivery business." This would reduce wear-and-tear on the Jeep. You can buy already-modified toads on the iRV2 Classifieds.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:49 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

As for the toad braking system I would recommend the RVIBrake 3.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:20 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us. You're gonna like it here.

Air activated aux. braking systems will need to connect to the RV air supply. That is not a standard feature on any MH. You would have to install it on every MH.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:50 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Definitely use the NSA ready brute, plug into any receiver and you got brakes.

Glenn
Old 01-19-2018, 09:11 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
If I was to use my toad to deliver someone's RV, I would have the tow bar that mounts on my toad such as the Roadmaster Stowmaster. I would use one of the "brake in a box" braking systems such as Brake Buddy. I would have a couple of hitches to use on the coach so that I could get the hitch as near to level as possible plus some locking pins. I would also have a couple of different types of electrical connectors for hooking up the lights or get one of the wireless setups.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:42 AM   #8

I don't see a problem.
I used our Toad bar and brake unit when we picked up a new to us MH and elec cable was the only swap needed.

As long as you supply your own tow bar it will mount on any MH 2" receiver.
If you go with a portable brake unit there is no compatibility issues w MH. I now have and like the RVi3 unit and it is highly recommended here on the forum.
Breakaway installation is basically on the Toad so you are also safe there. Only connection to MH is a cable w a snap hook so fairly easy to do on any MH.
The only limiting factor is towing capacity of MH that others mentioned... lighter Toad would be more flexible.

You might need to carry some elec plug adapters eg 7-6 pin, a few drop hitch adapters to match receiver ht and a couple quick links for safety cables & breakaway but they are minor.

I would not recommend the Toad mounted bar...much harder to hook up especially alone.

Just my opinions and you know what they say...
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad