Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:27 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
That one piece design in the video is not a good design.

The 2 piece pin is the best, a large connecting pin and a smaller locking pin.

They stay in place.

Look at part # 48 and # 49 here.
Mine are like these. I feel much better now.
I think i'll go by Ace Hardware and pickup a couple somethings to put in the toolbag as "just in case" spares anyway tho.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2010, 02:46 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I must say the Blue Ox reps at the Fleetwood rally were very helpful but could only send the damaged tow bar in for repair. The tech said it could be repaired so I could sell the rebuilt unit to offset the cost of the new bar. I informed them I would not accept a repaired tow bar unless it also had documention showing the unit was rebuilt and considered roadworthy by Blue Ox.

tmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:31 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF blue ox rebuilds it.. That means all damaged components are replaced.. since there basically is no less expensive way to repair them.

Which reminds me, Tomorrow I got to give 'em a call and check on the status of my repair.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:32 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers

The following statement is included in the Aventa Owners Manual:

"If the towbar is in an accident, it must be replaced. DO NOT use it again! An accident can cause unseen damage and using it again could result in more damage or serious injury.DO NOT use the towbar if it is damaged or missing parts"

I will not put the bar back into service unless Blue Ox is willing to bake up their product.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #19
doc

Appalachian Campers
I posted this solution a while back when someone was having problems disconecting the towbar from the baseplate and it works in this regard as .
Go to a farm supply store or a tractor dealership and get a couple of pins of the right diameter with the handles on the end and the hole in the 'open' end. The circle spring clip pins will fit in these holes. As a further security measure, I attach a bunji cord stretched across the two handles. Even if the circle clip locking pin falls out for some reason (or you forget to flip the circle) the bunji will keep the main pins in place. Probably less than $10 for every thing.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:36 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
No the hair pin clip is what dropped MY towed.

It is a special spring pin clip.. . The pin itself is very solid, not spring steel, the spring is kind of in a circle and either snaps down against the pin or up and out of the way.

Take a look at the link where the poster said "48 and 49" and find items 48 adn 49.. 48 is the tow pin, 49 is the lock pin..

Closed the pin looks like a circle with a pin through it

This sucker locks on very secure... But can be removed by vandals
You are correct and I rechecked mine. The pin with the circle clip is what I have also.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:31 PM   #21

that's an accident waiting to happen....I use LOCKS thru mine.....if the rig catches fire, I guess the toad will go too, but wont unhitch by accident...
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:12 AM   #22

I, for a number of reasons, also use the hardened locking pins. On both TOAD connections AND the receiver.

Call me paranoid but I envision some fool thinking it great fun to pull the standard pins out far enough to drop out after a few miles.
I also envision someone wanting my Blue Ox Aventa tow bar assembly at a "Midnight Special" price.

But, I still check all pins at every stop. Even the locking pins may possibly fail.

Remember, you're not paranoid if someone really is out to get you. I'm just cynical.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:51 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I now find myself paying allot of attention to the tow bars of others and warning the owners of the push pin systems to contact Blue Ox and/or the nearest distributor for replacement pins. Over the last month, I have witnessed to three owners of the defective push pin systems. They were easy converts after seeing the video and pictures of my failed tow bar.