Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieO View Post
We also have a 2015 Trailhawk and have been hearing the grinding noise. I think my problem is that I am going to slow when making the final shift up to P from N. Will do it much faster and hope for no grinding noise!

Hubby called Jeep and they had no clue and said to call the dealer. I knew I would get a better answer by doing a search on this board!
I have not had the problem the last 2 trips, being smooth but quick in moving from N to P. I am also ensuring I follow the steps verbatuim, including when I have my foot on the brake, and when I engage the parking brake in the cycle.

I does seem that I have to re-start it once I get it all set into tow mode to be able to disengage the parking brake (not sure why they put an electric parking brake in a Jeep.....).

I had the exact same interaction with Jeep directly. I asked to speak to a supervisor the 3rd time I called to follow up after being told they were "escalating my question" and the rep refused to do so. And the dealer has been non responsive since, although the service manager finally called me back a few weeks ago, and understood what I told him. Of course, he was going to get back to me after going out and trying it on some of the Cherokees in inventory, that was 3 weeks ago...........

But, it seems fine now thanks to the suggestions here, and all, we really like the Trailhawk!

Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2015, 03:46 PM   #16

American Coach Owners Club
Wow, this a great thread......I have a 2013 Wrangler I am setting up to tow this month. The manual seems fairly clear, but nice to know of the nuances of it all. I have never towed before...so am a little nervous, but seems like it is not a problem at all.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:46 PM   #17

Man....after reading all of this it makes me afraid to even consider towing my 2015 Wrangler Unlimited I think I will just buy a flatbed and pull it on a trailer. Won't wear out the expensive tires I have on the Wrangler....lol

2013 FLEETWOOD EXCURSION 33A

Excursion 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:21 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
First of all just so folks don't get confused, I realize the OP titled this thread "Putting a new Jeep into flat tow mode", however in his actual post he stated he is talking about a Jeep Cherokee. Some others with Wranglers have responded.

Just to be clear the procedures for these two vehicles are completely different.

Regarding setting up a Cherokee for towing, my automatic parking brake function is turned off. Furthermore, I never use the parking brake when connecting or disconnecting because it's just too easy to forget to release it. The only situation that I would consider using it is if I were connecting or disconnecting on an incline, but that hasn't happened yet.

When I am hooking up, I pull my Cherokee up to the coach, put it in Park (parking brake is not on) and make all of my connections from the coach to the Jeep. I then put the Jeep in reverse and back up to remove as much slack as I can.

I then turn the engine off and go through the procedure to put the Jeep in tow mode.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
First of all just so folks don't get confused, I realize the OP titled this thread "Putting a new Jeep into flat tow mode", however in his actual post he stated he is talking about a Jeep Cherokee. Some others with Wranglers have responded.

Just to be clear the procedures for these two vehicles are completely different.

Regarding setting up a Cherokee for towing, my automatic parking brake function is turned off. Furthermore, I never use the parking brake when connecting or disconnecting because it's just too easy to forget to release it. The only situation that I would consider using it is if I were connecting or disconnecting on an incline, but that hasn't happened yet.

When I am hooking up, I pull my Cherokee up to the coach, put it in Park (parking brake is not on) and make all of my connections from the coach to the Jeep. I then put the Jeep in reverse and back up to remove as much slack as I can.

I then turn the engine off and go through the procedure to put the Jeep in tow mode.
Bob, a couple questions for you, as i think there are differences between 2014 and 2015 Cherokess too.

Do you have key or keyless ignition, as it think there are diffences in the process (as I think I understand it, with the 2014 key ignition, I think you turn of the engine before you shift from N-P. With the 2015 keyless, you can not turn off the engine at that point. (it seems to me, turning off the engine at that point eliminates the issue).

I have also disabled the automatic parking brake, but again, it seems to me that unless it is on / engaged at the noted point in the process, you (me at least) was not able to complete the next step (don't remember off hand which step).

Thanks for clarifying for me, and any others.

And I do want to reiterate we really like our Trailhawk, and would buy one again at this point. While this has been a bit of a learning experience (like the entire new to the entire RVing / MH ownership has been), I can't image dealing with all the other processes people have to go through to tow other vehicles.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider93 View Post
I have a 2014 Jeep Wrangler, so I'm not 100% sure the process is the same on the Cherokee. What I do is turn the engine off, but turn the ignition key back on to the point where I can shift gears. Then I put the transmission in neutral, then shift the gearbox lever down to neutral. Then, I re-start the engine and slide the transmission into reverse and then into drive and rev the engine, just to check to be sure the transmission is disengaged.

Then, I turn the engine back off and slide the transmission lever back up to park (I think the key has to be on to do this, but make sure the engine is OFF). One time I forgot to turn the engine off before I slid the transmission into park, and I immediately got the grinding sound you're talking about.

Once you have disengaged the transmission, you MUST turn the engine off before putting the transmission back in park. Otherwise you will grind every time. Also, you probably already know this, but make sure you never back up when your Jeep is being towed. You can do major damage if you do.

I hope this helps, and good luck!
DITO - We do our 2008 Wrangler Exactly Same Way. I want to say the Owner Manual says to have it running nut, it will gear gring if it's running
KerrTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:16 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Bob, a couple questions for you, as i think there are differences between 2014 and 2015 Cherokess too.

Do you have key or keyless ignition, as it think there are diffences in the process (as I think I understand it, with the 2014 key ignition, I think you turn of the engine before you shift from N-P. With the 2015 keyless, you can not turn off the engine at that point. (it seems to me, turning off the engine at that point eliminates the issue).

I have also disabled the automatic parking brake, but again, it seems to me that unless it is on / engaged at the noted point in the process, you (me at least) was not able to complete the next step (don't remember off hand which step).

Thanks for clarifying for me, and any others.

And I do want to reiterate we really like our Trailhawk, and would buy one again at this point. While this has been a bit of a learning experience (like the entire new to the entire RVing / MH ownership has been), I can't image dealing with all the other processes people have to go through to tow other vehicles.
D&S,

I do have the keyless ignition, but in reading the manual I don't think there are any significant differences. I also don't think there are any differences between the 2014 and 2015 year models, as I have a friend with a 2015 and follows the same procedures I do.

When you say you were unable to shift from N to P, are you stepping on the brake pedal at that point?

I am attaching a PDF file that describes the steps I go through to prepare for towing.

Hope this helps a bit.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Towng setup procedures for a 2014 Jeep Cherokee.pdf (21.2 KB, 71 views)
Old 05-31-2015, 07:16 AM   #22

Bob, thanks for clarifying. You'll see some minor differences from your attachment to what is in the 2015 manual

(Hook up to the tow vehicle is now at the end)

Bring the vehicle to a complete stop, and shift the transmission to Park

Turn the engine off

Turn the ignition to the On/Run position, but do not start the engine (note, I like the reminder in yours about not putting your foot on the brake, as it is habitual to do so!)

Press and hold the Brake pedal

Shift the transmission into Neutral.

Using a ballpoint pen etc. to put the transfer case into Neutral exactly the same

After the shift is completed and then Neutral light stays on, release the Neutral button.

Start the engine

Shift the transmission Into Reverse

Release the brake pedal for 5 seconds, and ensure there is no vehicle movement (a bit different wording, but essentially the same).

(This is now where it is different, your says apply the brake, then just shift to N-P)

Shift the transmission to Neutral
Shift the transmission to Neutral (yes, in the manual, this step is actually repeated!)

Apply the parking brake (note, that I now do not touch the brake pedal after I have released it above ensuring that I am following the instructions verbatim).

Shift the transmission into Park (I originally did this very slowly, pausing in R before moving to P, it seems that as noted previously, need to do this smoothly but quickly) it turn the engine off,and remove the key fob.

Attach the vehicle to the to the vehicle using a suitable tow bar

Release the parking brake. (I have to restart the engine to release the parking brake, and your instructions do not have you apply the parking brake before the N-P shift).

So you can see there are some nuances, but not sure if / how that affects the process. (Does touching the brake pedal again trigger something? Is there something with the no brake pedal / engage the parking brake that impacts the process). As long as I do not touch the brake pedal again, and do the N-P quickly, all is good.

Thanks again!
Old 05-31-2015, 09:07 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
D&S,

I should have been more clear that the instructions in the PDF file, while mostly from the Cherokee manual, are something that I modified to suit my personal preferences, particularly where the parking brake is concerned.

In post #18 I made the following comment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Furthermore, I never use the parking brake when connecting or disconnecting because it's just too easy to forget to release it. The only situation that I would consider using it is if I were connecting or disconnecting on an incline, but that hasn't happened yet.
Therefore I never put the Jeep in tow mode until all the connections are made to the coach. When I'm ready to disconnect the first thing I do is take the Jeep out of tow mode (again not using the parking brake), and then disconnect from the coach.

As I said if I were on an incline either connecting or disconnecting, I would then use the parking brake, but I would put a piece of tape on the steering wheel to remind me to release the brake since it's not part of my normal routine.

In any case if you choose to follow Jeep's instructions to the letter, you shouldn't have any problems at all.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:51 PM   #24

Bob's instructions are spot on. We have a 2015 Chrokee Limited. I do use the Parking Brake while setting it up, but the last item on my list is to double check the parking brake and make sure it's off. 3 trips and about 1,400 miles and we have had no issues. She tows well.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:31 AM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
Dan, Does the ignition switch have to be in the ON/RUN position to release the parking brake at the end of the tow setup?

Tomorrow we are having our new Cherokee's base plate and braking system installed.
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:31 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes ... leave parking brake on during this process. Last step (after hooking to motorhome and shifting transmission to neutral) is to release brake. Don't want it to start rolling away with you on the outside of the vehicle! /ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:57 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOGilroy View Post
Dan, Does the ignition switch have to be in the ON/RUN position to release the parking brake at the end of the tow setup?

Tomorrow we are having our new Cherokee's base plate and braking system installed.
I had to go and double check.
YES. Ign. Must be on to release parking break....but I can set the parking break with ignition off.
Love those computers.

I just reconfirmed how simple this is.....we get scared by the long list.
Just have the engine running and Trans in neutral when shifting the transfer case.
Lastly move the gear selector briskly in/out of park.

The other items are how you confirm it has shifted.

Regards,
Dan
Old 06-18-2015, 09:26 AM   #28

I have a 2012 Liberty & posted a question earlier about the procedure for getting the transfer case out of neutral. I follow the same procedure to get the transfer case in neutral, but have a problem getting back to 2WD. What are the steps to get back to 2WD?

Tags
tow