Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:25 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The grinding can be normal, however releasing the Park Break does not require you to start the engine. Just go to ACC, then put your foot on brake and then release Park Brake.
Personally I would go into the setup and remove the Auto Park Brake function.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2015, 10:04 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
New Help in setting up a 2015 trail hawk for towinng

Hi Everyone,
We just purchased a 2015 trailhawk to tow behind our Holiday Rambler Vacationer.
Problem is not sure on what what we are supposed to get.
I have head that blue ox makes them for the trailhawk. Not sure where to bring it to get it installed.

My husband told me to call the rv dealer, but I knew they were going to be very high in price. I was quoted today, $3,941.00 just for materials that was not including labor or tax or anything that needed to be used is what they told me.

Any help would be appreciated. I hate getting something that I know nothing about. I do know that we want it wired into our lighting system in the car.So we know that can be expensive.

Any knowledge anyone can give me would be great!

Old 07-08-2015, 10:10 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by saronagrl View Post
Hi Everyone,
We just purchased a 2015 trailhawk to tow behind our Holiday Rambler Vacationer.
I have head that blue ox makes them for the trailhawk. Not sure where to bring it to get it installed.

My husband told me to call the rv dealer, but I knew they were going to be very high in price. I was quoted today, $3,941.00 just for materials that was not including labor or tax or anything that needed to be used is what they told me.

Any help would be appreciated. I hate getting something that I know nothing about. I do know that we want it wired into our lighting system in the car.So we know that can be expensive.

An RV dealer is the last place I personally would have it done. I think if you let us know where you're located you would probably receive some advice on some quality installers in your area.

I know if you were anywhere close to me in northern NV I could recommend a couple of excellent installers.
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:19 PM   #32

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Ok, all of 2 trips in our new Tiffin withheld a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk......

But, 2 of the times putting it into tow mode, it didn't want to go from neutral to park. It went fine into reverse, but trying to go into park, it was tight, and got a grinding sound immediately. Since it didn't want to go in smoothly, I was very slow moving it into park, and immediately heard the grind and stopped. Basically, went back and started the process all over again. Anyone know what I am doing wrong? My wife thinks it may have to do with having my foot on the brake, but that didn't seem to be it either.

Also, it seems that the parking brake automatically sets itself, and you have to start the engine to and release it as a final step.

Thanks!
We have 2014 Trailhawk, with exactly same problems. It is going in for detailing tomorrow and the service department is going to check transmission. Brake automatically sets itself, will check the setting on that to be sure they are manual. On our last trip we had to start the process over repeatedly to get it into neutral (grinding getting it into park) and had trouble getting it out of neutral also. Over the course of a month's trip we got to the point of wondering each time if it would shift to neutral or back into gear, also it only has 12K miles on it but shifting into neutral has been a problem since day 1 and gotten progressively worse. Will report back on what service department has to say about transmission.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:47 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Bob I am in West Palm Beach Fl.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:51 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

saronagrl, remember, you are not limited to only Blue Ox. The other major bracket and tow bar manufacturer is Roadmaster. Roadmaster will have brackets for your new Jeep also. I'm not going to say one is better than the other. I personally use Roadmaster brackets and tow bar but others swear by Blue Ox. Just wanted you to know that you are not necessarily limited to only Blue Ox unless you believe it's the better set-up for you. Here are a few threads you can browse:

Blue Ox vs Roadmaster, which is better?

Roadmaster vs Blue Ox

Roadmaster vs Blue Ox tow bars/baseplates

Blue Ox or Roadmaster?

There are more if you do a search but these should get you started at least.

And yes, as soon as you mention what area you are located or wish to have the base plates (brackets) installed and the wiring done, I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions as to where to have the work done. And if you decide you want to do it yourself (it's not for everybody to do themselves), I'm sure you'll get a lot of help here from those who have done it themselves.

Roadmaster part numbers for the 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roadmaster Inc. Jeep Cherokee.png
Views:	44
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	99531  
Old 07-08-2015, 11:35 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Bob I am in West Palm Beach Fl.
You're in a great area that has many qualified installers. I'm sure you'll receive some suggestions by tomorrow (Thursday).
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:53 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Bob!!
Old 07-09-2015, 11:50 AM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
We had Camping World do our Cherokee a few weeks ago. 3,100 parts and labor, before tax and a ridiculously high overnight shipping cost for a part they failed to order on time! We did save several hundreds of dollars by using our brakemaster brake pedel cylinder, using our old tow bar and our motorhome was already set up from our other toad, a add a second car kit.

We also added on a Guardian Tow Shield. We did not want to pit our new car's hood. The old car already had 120K miles before we used it as a toad.

Our base plates cost $439
Universal wiring kit. $100
Break light relay. $ 40
BrakeAway kit. $349
Brake light switch. $57
Seat bracket. $77. Plus $120 dollars in shipping because they didn't order the part on time.....yes I'm trying to recover this.

Second vehicle brake kit $555. About a $400 savings of brake setup.

Subtotal parts$1700.
Labor. $880
Parts and labor $ 2580

Plus $600 for the guardian shield and it's labor.
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:20 PM   #38

We have a 2014 Trailhawk with Blue Ox base plate and a Roadmaster Invisibrake system. I took the actual page from the online Jeep Trailhawk owners manual that explains the procedures for shifting into and out of neutral and laminated the pages to keep in our vehicle. There are so many steps involved, we felt we needed them for reference!

As for which items you will need, it comes down to personal preference. We wanted the Blue Ox system that stays on our Class C Forester. The tow hook "holes" are well hidden. (They took out the red tow hooks that Jeep put on our vehicle and now our blue Ox pins plug into those openings. We can remove the parts when we are not towing and store them in the cargo area.)
The Invisibrake was wired with diodes on the lights etc. It was all quite expensive. I think with all components and labor it was over $5k. That included the baseplate, blue Ox tow arm components, blue Ox rock guard that rolls out to cover the space between the Jeep and MH, Invisibrake system and all labor. Very pricey system but we love the blue Ox. We had an issue with the control board going out on the Invisibrake system that had to be replaced. We didn't know the Invisibrake had only a 90 day warranty and if you look at their website, you never find any info on their warranty term. They replaced it with some going back and forth with our RV tech guy.

I noticed someone is having issues with the shifting on their Trailhawk. If you are interested, there is a lot of info at jeepforums.com regarding all the transmission issues Chrysler has had with the 9 speed transmissions they are putting in these vehicles. Be warned, the software updates they are doing on the Trailhawks are causing issues for many owners with these transmissions. We've had our own issues recently after they did a software update based on a technical service bulletin for the transmission. We went in for a recall on the airbag and they updated the transmission software unbeknownst to us and now our Jeep drives different than before. I'll refrain from commenting further until we get more drive time with the "revised" version! If we continue to have issues, I'll elaborate more later.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:30 PM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We don't have any problems putting the transfer case in/out of neutral.

Engine needs to be running and main tranny in neutral for all transfer case shifts.
When shifting the main tranny into park, always do it briskly.
I will get the grinding if i go slowly into park.

Regards,
Dan
Old 07-16-2015, 08:57 PM   #40

Damon Owners Club
Update on 2014 trailhawk transfer case problems. Trailhawk spent the day at jeep dealer and received software updates to the transmission and transfer case shifts in and out of neutral with no grinding of gears or having to repeat process 10 times for it to work. Hooray, all done under warranty.

Tags
tow