Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2017, 03:18 PM   #1

Puzzling voltage outputs at MH 7 pin connector

We're getting our 2014 Renegade Villagio ready for towing a 2017 Jeep Wrangler toad for the first time. I've finished wiring the Jeep side using the OEM wiring harness. In prepping to wire the toad connector, I ran down to the RV storage building with my voltmeter, just to check that the pinout of the MH side was standard. I was puzzled to find that without the keys in the ignition of the MH, I have ~12V on all pins except the center pin (as measured with a high impedance electronic volt meter using 7:00 pin as ground reference). With the key in the "on" position, this dropped to ~ 11.2V. I was limited on time, so I couldn't do any troubleshooting other than to verify the ground was good.
So, before I go back and start troubleshooting, I'm wondering, are the pins connected to open collector outputs of an electronic controller and thus floating to +12v? If so, I'm assuming if I were to load them with a test lamp they would work as expected but I've never encountered open collector outputs like that on a vehicle, perhaps it's standard on MH toad wiring? All of the posts I can find on troubleshooting 7 pin connectors lead me to believe that I should read 0 volts between any pin and ground (other than of course the +12V pin at 1:00) if it's not active, which implies the outputs are not typically open collector.
The most obvious problem which I will look for when I can go back to the RV and do some troubleshooting is that somehow, the +12v pin is shorted on the back side of the connector to all pins except the center. But that seems a bit far fetched. I suppose that somehow the connector itself could have become faulty and is somehow shorting the pins?
MtnBikerNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2017, 04:28 PM   #2

MtnBikerNM-

Hmm. What you describe should not be.

I'd re-test using a known good frame ground.

What do the manual and the folks at Renegade tech support say?
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:38 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Put a load on them like a headlight bulb and see how that is. Maybe it's just feed-back from something like you suggested.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:15 AM   #4

I also had strange readings with multimeter from rv plug, wired the toad receptacle as diagramed and it worked as it should. May need some resistance or feed back to work properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0518.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	150313  
Old 01-29-2017, 12:43 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All pins would be odd, Very very ODD. In fact. It would lead me to believe there is an issue with the meter.. The center pin is named either AUX or "Reverse" (Back up) Lights and often is N/C (not connected)

Tail/Stop/Turn terminals should be zero volts, if there is voltage present, it is possible you have LED lights on the RV

Only two pins should be hot, Brakes (optional depends on the controller) and Battery (IF engine on vehicle is running) unless you have the lights on.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:18 PM   #6

Thanks for the responses from everyone. I still haven't heard back from Renegade, so I decided to plug the toad in a see what happened. Fortunately, all the lights worked as expected. So, it appears that the MH pins are coming from an electronic controller with open collector outputs that need a load on them to properly measure the voltage. I'm going to try one of the plug testers and see if it works, I suspect it will because its LEDs with current limiting resistors should provide sufficient load.
I did encounter something "dumb" when I attempted to plug the umbilical cord into the MH for the first time. The 7 pin connector is installed in a bracket that is part of the Reese hitch, and sort of tucked under the rear fiberglass cowling of the MH. The 7 pin connector is a Reese 85219 (like this https://www.walmart.com/ip/REESE-852...&wl13=&veh=sem ) with a spring loaded cover. When I raised the cover to insert the umbilical cord, I discovered that the thumb lift part of the cover hit the fiberglass cowling of the MH before I could raise it far enough for the locking post of the umbilical cord to clear the corresponding part of the cover that's supposed to prevent the connector from backing out once fully inserted. Dumb...
Since I'm the second owner of the MH, I don't know if this was factory installed (I think it is) or owner installed, but I do know the previous owner towed a toad. So, either Renegade installed and never plugged an umbilical cord in it to factory test it or the first owner had it installed and simply pushed the connector as far as it would go (which by the way wasn't far enough to engage any of the pins or lock in place). I "fixed" the problem by rotating the Reese connector 180 degrees, so the spring cover pulls down, allowing the cover to open completely and the connectors to properly mate. Since this is our first MH, I guess it's all part of the learning curve... Thanks again for your responses!
MtnBikerNM is offline   Reply With Quote