Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-28-2006, 07:49 PM   #1
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
I recently purchased a Saturn Vue and am considering the Brake Buddy as an aux brake system. For my needs the Brake Buddy seems to work. The question is where is the best place to get the wires through the firewall without drilling an extra hole (if possible)?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2006, 07:49 PM   #2
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
I recently purchased a Saturn Vue and am considering the Brake Buddy as an aux brake system. For my needs the Brake Buddy seems to work. The question is where is the best place to get the wires through the firewall without drilling an extra hole (if possible)?

Old 05-28-2006, 11:35 PM   #3

To, GG1,

Have had BB since 5/2000 and just re-installed it in our new toad in 3/2006.

Break-away wires can be snaked thru firewall in holes already there for car wiring. these holes have rubber grommets to protect wires.
The new baseplete,Blue Ox, has a place to mount switch on grill then run wires under and around items under hood, out of harms way.

Good system and no vehicle tampering.

=== AIME=== AJBJRVERS====
Old 05-29-2006, 03:37 AM   #4

I used an existing grommet.I cut a straw on an angle and pushed it thru the grommet,fed the wire thru and pulled the straw out.It was easier than trying to push a soft wire thru.

BOB
Old 05-29-2006, 04:04 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
I've installed many wires through firewalls and grommets. Bob's solution will work. Another way to do it is to use a wire coat hanger which you straightened out, spray it with teflon or some other lubricant and push it through the grommet from the inside of the car. Attach the wire to the coat hanger. I use electrical tape - smoothly wrapped. Coat the tape and the wire with the lubricant - I use teflon - and pull the coat hanger and the wire through the grommet. It will go through very easily.

Hope this helps.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 05-30-2006, 06:57 PM   #6
RLS

Hi GG1, I have a 2005 Vue, so I don't know if this is going to be ok for your 06' I also have the 4 cyl and may have more room in the engine compartment then the 6 cyl. Brake Buddy does not use a cable in the car, it uses a switch that I mounted near the center of the front bumper. From there I ran the 2 conductor wire that was provided by Brake Buddy into the car to the Brake Buddy unit. Stand in the front of the car by the left front headlight looking toward the windshield. I ran the wire up behind the left front headlight, then between the washer fluid - antifreeze tanks on one side and the battery - fuse box on the other side. I ran the wire thru the firewall in the (approx 3") round rubber grommet that is behind and a little to the right of the brake fluid reservoir. From there I just leave the wire and its connectors under the floor mat.

RLS is offline   Reply With Quote