Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2014, 03:55 AM   #15

Yeah. Probably nothing like going from 8 mpg to 50 mpg.
70gsconvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2014, 08:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70gsconvt View Post
OK thanks guys. I'm a firefighter, so I'm used to driving a bigger truck. And my previous camper was a 31' Jayco behind my long bed, crew cab truck. So I'm familiar with towing and having a long setup.

Just wanted to be sure that I could get a "full" sized car like a early 2000's Buick Regal or similar and not be stuck in an econobox. My RV did come with a box in the one compartment. I think it was called a Brake Buddy and there were some bars for towing in there also. But I didn't take that good a look at it and it's away in storage for the winter now anyway. I guess I'll take a peak in the spring at it.
We had a 2001 Winnebago Adventurer 32V on the Ford F53 chassis for over 12 years. It pulled either our 1997 Buick LeSabre (3760 lbs.) on our Roadmaster dolly (650 lbs.) or our 2004 Jeep Wrangler (3740 lbs.) for the entire time we had it. In that time we put over 100,000 miles on the combinations without any problems.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Itasca 31KE vs 100' Seagraves aerial ladder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70gsconvt View Post
Hi,

I have a 1999 Dolphin with Ford V10. It's been well maintained and has the Banks Powerpack on it.

My question is, will my RV notice much difference between a 2700 lb Focus or similar vs a 3400 lb car? The RV's has a 5000 lb. hitch and has towed before. I figure the tow dolly is going to weigh around 500 lbs. or so. I'm just wondering if the camper will notice another 700-800 lbs. being as it already weighs about 20K lbs. Thanks.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on a vehicle to tow, I'm all ears as I'm pretty open as what to get. Just would prefer something that'll carry two adults and two teenagers.
You may have resolved all this by now but I thought I'd weigh in.

We pull a 2008 Focus on an American Car Dolly and love the set up. Takes about 10 minutes tops to load out. Our MH is a 2014 Itasca 31KE Sunstar on an F53 Chassis. If it wasn't for the rear camera I wouldn't know the dolly and Focus were even behind us. No noticeable difference to me (I'm also a retired and a former Firefighter with a lotta miles operating a 100' Seagraves ladder-- so the motorhome rig brings back good memories!) Got about 8.5 before the dolly set up running alone. Added the tow dolly and went to 9 mpg. Go figure.

I suggested to Momma the good mileage was because I left the Focus running in gear on the dolly and shut the MH engine down using the Focus as a pusher. She didn't bite?
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanrasc View Post
Got about 8.5 before the dolly set up running alone. Added the tow dolly and went to 9 mpg. Go figure.

I suggested to Momma the good mileage was because I left the Focus running in gear on the dolly and shut the MH engine down using the Focus as a pusher. She didn't bite?
WOW! I don't think even my wife would buy that whopper! And she thinks all the lights on the dash are pretty when they light up.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:32 AM   #19

Well, I picked up a 2007 Kar Kaddy SS last night. Always kept indoors for $1300. It does have the original tires, so I'll probably replace those, but overall I'm happy with the purchase.

Tags
dolly, tow, towing