Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:56 PM   #1

Question about towing a car with a dolly......

Hi,

I have a 1999 Dolphin with Ford V10. It's been well maintained and has the Banks Powerpack on it.

I just bought it and realized that we can't tow my wife's AWD Hyundai, so I'm going to be buying a car to tow. My wife refuses to learn how to drive a stick, so I'm looking to get a FWD vehicle.

My question is, will my RV notice much difference between a 2700 lb Focus or similar vs a 3400 lb car? The RV's has a 5000 lb. hitch and has towed before. I figure the tow dolly is going to weigh around 500 lbs. or so. I'm just wondering if the camper will notice another 700-800 lbs. being as it already weighs about 20K lbs. Thanks.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on a vehicle to tow, I'm all ears as I'm pretty open as what to get. Just would prefer something that'll carry two adults and two teenagers.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2014, 08:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70gsconvt View Post
Hi,

I have a 1999 Dolphin with Ford V10. It's been well maintained and has the Banks Powerpack on it.

I just bought it and realized that we can't tow my wife's AWD Hyundai, so I'm going to be buying a car to tow. My wife refuses to learn how to drive a stick, so I'm looking to get a FWD vehicle.

My question is, will my RV notice much difference between a 2700 lb Focus or similar vs a 3400 lb car? The RV's has a 5000 lb. hitch and has towed before. I figure the tow dolly is going to weigh around 500 lbs. or so. I'm just wondering if the camper will notice another 700-800 lbs. being as it already weighs about 20K lbs. Thanks.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on a vehicle to tow, I'm all ears as I'm pretty open as what to get. Just would prefer something that'll carry two adults and two teenagers.

I tow a 3800 pound Nissan Murano FWD. 550 pound dolly. Coach weighs 20200 lbs.
Sure, I can tell it's back there but not a problem. A little slow taking off up hill but not much difference on flat land fron not towing. Electric brakes actually seem to improve stopping power over non towing.
200 mile trip last week on 55/60 mph highway thru a few small towns, 7.4 mpg by scangage. I was thrilled!

Old 10-28-2014, 08:55 PM   #3

Any front wheel drive that doesn't exceed your weight limit should work for you. You will barely know it's behind you other than seeing it in the rear view camera, you do need to watch right hand turns depending on the dolly and how it tracks it's easy to bump curbs with the towed but a little practice and you will have no problems.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:04 PM   #4

Have a 2001 class 3 and towed a avalon all over the west this year on dolly. It has surge brakes and never knew it was back there. I think avalon weighs about 3400-lbs
Old 10-29-2014, 05:18 AM   #5

OK thanks guys. I'm a firefighter, so I'm used to driving a bigger truck. And my previous camper was a 31' Jayco behind my long bed, crew cab truck. So I'm familiar with towing and having a long setup.

Just wanted to be sure that I could get a "full" sized car like a early 2000's Buick Regal or similar and not be stuck in an econobox. My RV did come with a box in the one compartment. I think it was called a Brake Buddy and there were some bars for towing in there also. But I didn't take that good a look at it and it's away in storage for the winter now anyway. I guess I'll take a peak in the spring at it.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:36 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
My wife also claims she cannot drive a standard transmission. That is why I changed my tow to a Honda CRV FWD with automatic tranny. It tows 4 down without a dolly. Everyone has their preference but I prefer to tow without a dolly. Happy trails.

ronspradley

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:32 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
A lot of used HHR Chevy's around. They can be towed 4 down or on a dolly.
3,200-3,300 lb.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:04 AM   #8

We tow my wife's Scion iQ, the thing weighs less than 2,000 lbs.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:20 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
70gsconvt,
There are many AWD, FWD and Rear Wheel drive vehicles with auto transmissions that can be towed 4-down too.
Family Motor Coach Association has a new publication each year listing all of the vehicles that can be towed. Family Motor Coaching magazine, for motorhome owners
Also, I believe it is REMCO that has either a lube pump that can be added to tow an automatic that is otherwise not towable AND I think they also offer a driveline disconnect device. A little research and I think you will be in business.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:43 PM   #10

Well I found the list of cars that can be flat towed without any modifications.

Looks like I'll be looking for a 2002-2006 Chevy Cavalier/Cobalt/Malibu, Pontiac G6, or Saturn Ion/Vue (all similar GM platforms). All, according to their owner's manuals, can be flat towed up to 65 mph with no other restrictions. And I already have the brake buddy I got with the RV, so I'll just need to get the proper wiring harness and hitch receiver for the tow bars that also came with it.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #11

I have an 08 Malibu, it is a big upgrade to the prior design. It can also be flat towed, although I am using a dolly.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:49 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We like our Chevy Captiva (Saturn Vue rebadged)a lot for our toad. Auto transmission, 4 doors, and actually comfortable seating for 4 full size adults! Weighs about 3700lbs and tows like a dream, hardly know it's back there.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #13

Got a great deal on a 2008 Prius. So now I guess I'm looking for a tow dolly. Maybe a Kar Kaddy SS or the new Acme tow dolly.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:41 AM   #14

2005 Prius

We tow a 2005 Prius on the KarKaddy dolly. It works just fine.
Love the fuel mileage when we get unhooked and go sight seeing in the Prius!!!

Tags
dolly, tow, towing