Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:36 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Question about towing a Honda CRV.

I Have been towing my 2000 Honda CRV with the key in the ignition on acc, to unlock the steering column. The other day, I noticed that if I start the car and then turn the key all the way off but leave it in the ignition, the wheel is still unlocked and I can turn it freely. It locks as soon as I remove the key. Does anyone know if this is a standard feature or maybe an indication of wear in my old Honda. I have not trusted it enough to tow it like this yet. TIA

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2014, 08:01 PM   #2

I would think it is probably wear and would not trust it to stay unlocked going down the road.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:11 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like a bad ignition switch. don't trust it. My old element did the same thng and one day while wife was driving it locked up the steering. New switch (furnished by Honda for free) fixed it .If GM can buy ignition switch for 59 cents Honda should supply a new one for you for maybe 25 cents. Just kidding.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:25 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you turn the wheel far enough it will lock. There are 6 detents in the mechanism so the wheel may have to be turned 60 degrees but eventually it will lock up.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:26 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
If you turn the wheel far enough it will lock. There are 6 detents in the mechanism so the wheel may have to be turned 60 degrees but eventually it will lock up.
The thing is, it locks up immediately when I remove the key. Anyway I think your all right and it's malfunctioning. I will continue the way I am doing it with the switch in acc position.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Kinda of strange. Our CRV will not do this. So your switch could be bad...do not take any chances. It takes only once to "forget" and your in for trouble.
PS if the "steering wheel is locked" does this not also "lock" the transmission? Towing with a locked tranny would be really bad.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:51 AM   #7
bcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by John How View Post
I Have been towing my 2000 Honda CRV with the key in the ignition on acc, to unlock the steering column. The other day, I noticed that if I start the car and then turn the key all the way off but leave it in the ignition, the wheel is still unlocked and I can turn it freely. It locks as soon as I remove the key. Does anyone know if this is a standard feature or maybe an indication of wear in my old Honda. I have not trusted it enough to tow it like this yet. TIA
I had a '97 CRV that I towed and I think the shift lever had to be in Park before you could turn the key to the Off (Lock?) position. IIRC, the transmission has to be in Neutral to tow so the key has to be in Acc. Of course, if you have a manual transmission, I know nothing! Mine was an automatic.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:01 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
My 2006 CRV works like yours; the steering wheel doesn't lock until you take the key out. However, I haven't tried towing with the key out. I just follow the instructions in the Owner's Manual, which say to turn the key to ACC.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to everyone who replied. I think I'll just continue on with the switch in the first position. We came home from a trip the other day and I forgot to turn the key off, next day when I unhooked, it started right up even though the ignition was still on so there is not much current draw anyway.

Tags
towing, tow