Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:59 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Question for Acme Tow Dolly Users

I intend to buy an Acme Tow Dolly to use behind my Fleetwood Tioga Class C.

I already have/use a Curt Dual Hitch Adapter that allows me to carry my spare tire/wheel and use a 2" ball for towing which has been used for a small jon boat.

I finally purchased a used car/toy a Saab Convertible that I intend to tow on the dolly as the steering column does not lock in either the ignition lock mode or off mode so I am set with the inverted steering issue as well as the battery drain issue while the iginition is off . I do not lose seat and radio settings or having to disconnect the battery or fuse.

My problem is the recommended height is 14" to 16" and I am at 17" at the base of the ball. To move lower I would have to buy another dual hitch adapter and use a ball adapter that comes in either 2" drop or 4 " drop so the best I can do is 15" at the base of the ball.

In the real world what heights are you at when you use your Acme dolly?

I have this one that yields 17" ground to base of ball:

and I would have to buy this one to get to 15" ground to base of ball:

is it necessary to use the Acme dolly effectively - braking etc?

seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2015, 04:07 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
It the hitch is high, you'll always be pulling the dolly up hill.

I'd get the dolly and sit it on your present hitch. See if the ramps at the back of the dolly are too close to the road. Also consider when you go over a driveway ramp or the like, will it hit them? Your RV hitch is quite a bit distant from the rear axle, will the up and down motion create a scraping incident? That's what I'd consider before buying a whole new set up.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:55 PM   #3

Mine is 15" if I remember correctly.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:27 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought and ppaid for my Acme dolly and it is on 'will call' for pick up as I live in NC. Got a good deal as well as the spare tire and wheel. Just a small paint blemish that they say does not show up in a picture.

I am going to use what I have to tow with and see if it will be alright braking wise and if not I will buy the other dual receiver adapter.

The base of the ball will be 17" high

seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:42 PM   #5

Have you spoke to Richard at ACME about this?
Old 07-28-2015, 06:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
It the hitch is high, you'll always be pulling the dolly up hill.

I'd get the dolly and sit it on your present hitch. See if the ramps at the back of the dolly are too close to the road. Also consider when you go over a driveway ramp or the like, will it hit them? Your RV hitch is quite a bit distant from the rear axle, will the up and down motion create a scraping incident? That's what I'd consider before buying a whole new set up.
Just a point of information. Acme dolly's ramps come off and are stored on the front or toad.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:37 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Level the Acme Dolly

I bought an Acme Dolly for Towing my Prius, as it is advertised as able to do so. I made a 6,000 mile trip last summer, making many stops in 13 states. One thing I found that is critical, at least with a low-clearance Prius, is dolly (AND the road surface) being level before on or off-loading the car. Any significant unleveling changes all the angles between the dolly front tire stop (where the winches are mounted) and the tender plastic panels under the car. A too-high or low hitch will magnify the problem. I had a collection of plastic fasteners and torn panels to put back on after my trip. It is worth it to drive to a level, paved surface to load and unload.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:02 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think the range quoted is designed to get our Prius to fit without scraping too much.

If you think about it...there are two points where the air dam can make contact.

The first you will encounter is the ramp itself. In this case having the ball too low causes the aft edge of the dolly to rotate upward, thus creating a steeper ramp angle. The air dam may contact the ramps before the front tires can begin to to lift the front as it ascends the ramp surface.

The second you will encounter is the front stop. In this case having the ball too high causes the front stop to rotate upward, thus presenting a second obstacle for the front air dam.

If your vehicle gets good clearance on each of these two contact points...I think you're good to go.

I cannot imagine that an inch or two here or there would be a significant difference for the hydraulic brake actuator...but you should double check that notion with Richard.

I can't imagine how it could be done...but if your hitch is lower than the axle, you could get a slight pole vaulting effect. Think of your coach stopping quickly, and the front of the tow dolly acting like a pole vault, thus lifting the weight off the tires as the weight of the towed vehicle has an upward vector. This would definitely reduce braking effectiveness... The tow dolly has such a low axle that I think you'd drag your draw bar on the ground to get it that low enough to have a problem with this.

Enjoy your new toy(s)
Old 12-07-2015, 05:13 PM   #9

Mine is at 15". I would contact ACME directly and find out what are the consequences of the higher hitch height. I am sure they have run numerous tests to determine their recommended hitch height. They are very responsive to questions.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:25 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Mine is at 15". I would contact ACME directly and find out what are the consequences of the higher hitch height. I am sure they have run numerous tests to determine their recommended hitch height. They are very responsive to questions.
Quick question for any one that has the EZE tow, I am considering buying one with the surge brakes for towing my Elentra. I have weighed the 4 down vs dolly and for me the dolly seems the most cost effective and easiest way to keep my present vehicle and pull it. My question is I have a 4 bike rack presently on my hitch and want to keep it. I did not even know they made a double hitch like the one the OP posted. The bikes and the dolly will still be well under my hitch rating(500lbs) and with the Elentra and Dolly still well under my GCWR (elentra 2800lbs + bikes/rack 350lbs, 4000LB max Tow capability) Anyone see any issues with this configuration with the tow dolly? I am pretty sure there are no clearance issue with the front of the car and the bike rack. I am good weight wise, concern on the stress point of the bike rack and the double Hitch set up?
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:47 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by seb1899 View Post
I bought and ppaid for my Acme dolly and it is on 'will call' for pick up as I live in NC. Got a good deal as well as the spare tire and wheel. Just a small paint blemish that they say does not show up in a picture.

I am going to use what I have to tow with and see if it will be alright braking wise and if not I will buy the other dual receiver adapter.

The base of the ball will be 17" high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Dean View Post
Quick question for any one that has the EZE tow, I am considering buying one with the surge brakes for towing my Elentra. I have weighed the 4 down vs dolly and for me the dolly seems the most cost effective and easiest way to keep my present vehicle and pull it. My question is I have a 4 bike rack presently on my hitch and want to keep it. I did not even know they made a double hitch like the one the OP posted. The bikes and the dolly will still be well under my hitch rating(500lbs) and with the Elentra and Dolly still well under my GCWR (elentra 2800lbs + bikes/rack 350lbs, 4000LB max Tow capability) Anyone see any issues with this configuration with the tow dolly? I am pretty sure there are no clearance issue with the front of the car and the bike rack. I am good weight wise, concern on the stress point of the bike rack and the double Hitch set up?
I have this setup using the Curt, Acme, dolly and bike rack. I have not test driven it yet, but all seems well and the weights are all well within limits.

The big caveat here is the bike rack or tire rack and the dolly. I can not put the dolly on or take it off with the bike rack installed. Curt did not give us enough clearance between the top receiver and bottom receiver. So the dolly goes on first, then the bike rack. The bike rack must come off before the dolly

I am considering putting the bike on the back of the Prius and I have already installed a hitch and have the adapters needed.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:52 PM   #12

I drag a Kia Soul on a surge brake dolly, with the "over-under" hitch adaptor from Walmart.

We use the top hole for a 2 bike, bike rack.

15,000 miles in the last 2 years and no problems.

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly