Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #15

I have owned many Jeeps over the past 30 years but my current 2012 is the only one I have towed. Used Jeeps are stupid expensive, the original CJ, round headlights, are not towable without modifications to my understanding. The YJ, square headlights, some are towable, some not , depending on transfer case. The next one, the TJ, are towable and since they are coil springs instead of leaf springs, they ride and drive much better. The latest, the JK, is the most civilized of all. When I really started looking last year, I set myself a $10,000-$12,000 budget and was shocked at how little that would buy. Everything I found in that range had well over 100,000 miles on it. Even though I have restored a 76 CJ-5 and a 53 CJ-3b and can do my own repairs, I wanted a good dependable Jeep for my toad. I finally realized my budget wasn't practical for my wants, I ended up spending double my budget, but I got a one year old Jeep with 16000 miles and a warranty. Good luck in your search, I hope you find that dependable bargin, I never did.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
Good luck in your search, I hope you find that dependable bargin, I never did.
I too am frustrated at the prices a used Jeep carries... I have been shopping for a toad for several weeks focusing on Jeeps...I have sticker shock.

I found a 2005 with 59k miles and they wouldn't budge from KBB High Retail...there is only a couple of k difference in what this person was insisting on and a new Jeep.

I've all but decided to bite the bullet and buy new...
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
OP, if you don't have your heart set on the open air experience look at used Cherokees, They were made from '84-'01, are light, just as easy to tow as a Wrangler, very capable off road, have way more room than Wranglers (4dr excepted), and they usually don't have the premium on the price that Wranglers do, snow regions excepted. I have both of ours setup for towing and they're great toads.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard View Post

I too am frustrated at the prices a used Jeep carries... I have been shopping for a toad for several weeks focusing on Jeeps...I have sticker shock.

I found a 2005 with 59k miles and they wouldn't budge from KBB High Retail...there is only a couple of k difference in what this person was insisting on and a new Jeep.

I've all but decided to bite the bullet and buy new...
I know what you mean. I found my 2012 Arctic/ Sahara loaded with hard top, heated seats, Rubicon tires and wheels plus more for about the same money as a new soft top sport. About 7 years ago, I sold my 1983 CJ7 with hard top for $2700. It was in great condition. If I had it today it would be worth somewhere in the 8 grand range based on what I have seen.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm looking for about the same thing.. I'm avoiding phrases like "Needs new head gasket".
Old 02-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I'm looking for about the same thing.. I'm avoiding phrases like "Needs new head gasket".
HA! Also avoid A/C just needs charged......
Speaking from experience.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post
Dave,
Almost forgot, some YJs ('91-'95?) have a vacuum disconnect front axle, this can be a pain but there are repair kits and cable activated replacements. If when testing 4wd you have issues it's a strong possibility that it's toast. You can also replace the 2 piece axle shaft with a later one piece and install a block off plate where the actuator is.

The YJ is kind of the red headed step child of the Jeep family to some but they're good solid vehicles, if they'd come from the factory with round headlights like "real" jeeps they'd not have gotten all the bad press .
Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	394.2 KB
ID:	33219Good advise. I picked up this 95 wrangler for $5200.00 The po took great care of it and all I can say is that it is a solid rig. Some love them and some don't. For the money and durability and ease of towing I would have no problem recommending a YJ jeep. I would favor the 6 cylinder over the 4.
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
^ Darn, that's one nice YJ!!
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:25 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree nothing wrong with a YJ. Some thoughts though from having owned both YJ and TJ.

Stiff ride - be sure the spring shackles move well. They age and get stiff and affect the ride.

Harder to find a YJ with air conditioning. And when you do it's functional but marginal. The TJ has a much improved HVAC system.

Both are good Jeeps.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #24

What year? Auto or stick transmission?
Old 02-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
We bought a '95 Wrangler with a stick, 4cyl. engine, no A/C and soft top to use exclusively as a toad for our 22' 1993 Coachmen Class C. That was about 4 years ago +- . I wanted something as light as possible and this one fit the bill. It has 155,000 mi. on it (we have probably only put about 5 to 7 thousand of those miles on). There was virtually no rust in the body (quite unheard of for many of the Older Wranglers) and it runs pretty well. Previous posters are correct when they caution you about the ride. I compare it to what it must have been like on a buckboard in the Wild West. BUT, it is inexpensive to operate, inexpensive to insure, easy to work on, it looks good, we use an inexpensive rigid tow bar with brackets that bolted right onto the stock front bumper, and on and on. We installed a diode kit so that we can use the original lights with a simple 4 prong connector to the MH. We found a blog online somewhere of a fellow who had done this to his and he gave step by step instructions. We hook up the tow bar, connect the wiring harness and safety cables, insert the key in the ignition and unlock the steering, put the 5 speed in the crosswise neutral position and put the transfer shifter in neutral as well. No problem since we first started doing it this way.
Good luck with whatever you choose. We've owned several Jeep models and really like them. Have also had 5 vettes through the years but the only way we'll ever be able to own another and pull it behind the Class A will be on a full trailer. (Probably won't happen).
LongDogRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks again for all the help. We are still looking and trying to decide the best way to go.
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1956 View Post
Thanks again for all the help. We are still looking and trying to decide the best way to go.
Good luck on your search...we too are looking. I have given up on the idea of a new Jeep, the price is just too steep for my liking . Right now I am trying to configure my FJ Cruiser for towing....
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
... the original CJ, round headlights, are not towable without modifications to my understanding...d.
The "original" CJ was towable. Unlock the hubs (which I'd like to be able to do on our JK), transfer case in neutral and away you go. Over the years, besides our JKs, we've towed a '46 2A, a '60 CJ5 and a '67 CJ5. In fact, the only Jeep we never towed (our first Jeep, we weren't RVrs at the time) was our '76 CJ7 with quadratrac (which I suspect is not towable).
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote