Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:17 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question for those with VW toads

I have an 06 Jetta TDI that I occasionally towed on short trips with a rented dolly, now that I have my own dolly I plan to tow farther and more often but I have some questions...

Is the steering lock electronic or mechanical? Can I disconnect the battery when I'm towing and still have the steering unlocked?

If the battery can not be disconnected, some accessories stay on when the key is in the off position. Is there a fuse I can pull to disable the accessories without affecting the steering lock?

Or would I just be better off running power from the coach battery to the Jetta battery to keep it charged while towing?

Any and all info is appreciated

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2015, 07:48 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I can't see the reason for worrying about battery or steering lock. You are towing on a dolly. You shouldn't unlock the steering or disconnect the battery

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:12 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's not a pivot pan dolly which means I have to unlock the steering while towing
Old 04-08-2015, 10:04 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry can't help you, just posting to follow the discussion. We do have a 13 Passat TDI towed on a Demco SS dolly.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:53 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
I tow my '00 TDI manual 5 speed 4 down. I can turn the key to accessory to unlock the mechanical steering lock, then back to off. As long as I leave the key in the ignition, the steering stays unlocked in the off position. I do have to turn radio and HVAC fan to off position. Since I use a Roadmaster version of a Brake Buddy, I still use one unused pin in a 6 pin Blue Ox umbilical cord to keep the Beetle battery charged.

VW, unlike many other brands, keeps the power plugs 'hot' with ignition on or off.

I can't speak to the type of steering lock in an '06, or if the facts I stated about my '00 are still true, those are just the things I've learned towing the car from coast to coast.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:37 PM   #6

I tow an 07 EOS four down. It has the 3 liter turbo engine with 6 speed manual. I leave the key in the ignition in the lock position (position where you typically remove the key). If the battery goes dead, the steering wheel will lock. As I have a brake buddy, I also used the sixth pin for trickle charging the battery to make sure it does not discharge while driving.

Jim

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Kpjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:17 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That's what I suspected, I will run an auxiliary power lead to charge the battery. Thanks all for your input
Old 04-15-2015, 01:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpjp View Post
I tow an 07 EOS four down. It has the 3 liter turbo engine with 6 speed manual. I leave the key in the ignition in the lock position (position where you typically remove the key). If the battery goes dead, the steering wheel will lock. As I have a brake buddy, I also used the sixth pin for trickle charging the battery to make sure it does not discharge while driving.

Jim

Jim,
Just wondering. Many folks run and hide when any talk about towing a late model VW is mentioned simply because, VOA does not authorize ANY of it's fleet to be flat towed. I have talked with many RVers in campgrounds and RV parks that have pulled in with late model VW toads, in tow. Not one of them has had any issue with transmission problems.

But, like yours, every one of them is a STICK transmission. And that includes the Beetle, Jetta and, Sport Jetta wagon. First off, I was not only not aware of the "EOS" model at all but, also, upon learning about your being able to tow your EOS, FLAT TOWING, and that it's a stick, we looked up those models and, we can't find any EOS models with a stick. Hmmmm.
How has yours been working out so far?
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:43 PM   #9

Scott,

Our 2007 VW EOS was special ordered from a NY dealer. We could only find the four cylinder 3 liter turbo and V6 engines both with automatics. My wife loved the car that she test drove, but hated that it was an automatic. She wanted a convertible and I would only agree if we bought a hardtop convertible. So, we ordered a car with a six speed manual transmission and waited 4 months for it to be built. The car has about 36,000 miles and it is one of the most reliable cars that I have ever owned. Our previous car was a Chrysler convertible which had a few issues.

The car tracks very nicely behind our motorhome, but as it is a convertible, it is much heavier than the Jetta. The EOS is built on a modified Jetta chassis. We have towed it over 8000 miles with only one issue. I did not release the emergency brake fully and dragged the rear disc brakes for a few miles. Heated up the rims a little, but when VW checked the brake pads and discs they were still good. I had the discs reworked and bought new pads just to be on the safe side. Stupid mistake on my part. I typically do not drive my motorhome more than 350 miles per day.

When I installed the Blue-Ox baseplate, I had to remove the front bumper and that step required that I disconnect the air bag sensor. My VW dealer had to reset the computer to get the warning indicator light to shut off. I guess it did not take them very long as they did not charge me anything.

I did add a Roadmaster battery trickle charger to the car just to make sure that the battery does not discharge while towing. I never had a problem, but because I use the Brake Buddy and it uses power from the car's battery I like the added safety. I disconnected the car's battery in order to replace it about a year ago and I noticed with the battery out, the steering wheel would no longer turn with the key in the ignition. After that, I added the trickle charger.

A buddy of mine tows a TDI Jetta, but he also has a standard transmission.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Scott,

Our 2007 VW EOS was special ordered from a NY dealer. We could only find the four cylinder 3 liter turbo and V6 engines both with automatics. My wife loved the car that she test drove, but hated that it was an automatic. She wanted a convertible and I would only agree if we bought a hardtop convertible. So, we ordered a car with a six speed manual transmission and waited 4 months for it to be built. The car has about 36,000 miles and it is one of the most reliable cars that I have ever owned. Our previous car was a Chrysler convertible which had a few issues.

The car tracks very nicely behind our motorhome, but as it is a convertible, it is much heavier than the Jetta. The EOS is built on a modified Jetta chassis. We have towed it over 8000 miles with only one issue. I did not release the emergency brake fully and dragged the rear disc brakes for a few miles. Heated up the rims a little, but when VW checked the brake pads and discs they were still good. I had the discs reworked and bought new pads just to be on the safe side. Stupid mistake on my part. I typically do not drive my motorhome more than 350 miles per day.

When I installed the Blue-Ox baseplate, I had to remove the front bumper and that step required that I disconnect the air bag sensor. My VW dealer had to reset the computer to get the warning indicator light to shut off. I guess it did not take them very long as they did not charge me anything.

I did add a Roadmaster battery trickle charger to the car just to make sure that the battery does not discharge while towing. I never had a problem, but because I use the Brake Buddy and it uses power from the car's battery I like the added safety. I disconnected the car's battery in order to replace it about a year ago and I noticed with the battery out, the steering wheel would no longer turn with the key in the ignition. After that, I added the trickle charger.

A buddy of mine tows a TDI Jetta, but he also has a standard transmission.

Jim,
Thanks very much on the report of your acquirement of your EOS model VW. My son-in-laws folks just picked up an '07 too, also with a "retractable" hard top. Kind-a like the old Ford "Skyliner" in the late '50s.

Anyway, I'm kind-of assuming that, you told VW that you tow their car which, was the reason for the checking out and, replacing of your rear brake pads etc. That and the fact that, you most likely can't help but see the base plate tow points at least somewhat protruding from the front end, right?

May I ask, what VWs comments on the fact that you're towing it were? Now, also, when you brought that car in for checking out the brake problem, was it OUT of warranty or, still in, at that time? If in, did VW threaten to revoke any warranty claims 'cause you're flat towing your EOS?

This is interesting. We may, if we ever decide, go with a late, as in around a '13 or '14 VW Beetle TDI Convertible as a toad. I love those engines. I've had two of them in the past. One, an '03 and the other, an '04. Both of them NEVER dropped below 42 mpg. And we lived in hilly country back then.
Scott
Old 04-16-2015, 05:31 AM   #11

Scott,

Brake issue happened in 2012, so our car was out of warranty. They definitely knew I was flat towing the car as I told them what happened. I was traveling in PA at the time and a dealer in the Poconos is where I brought the car to have the brakes checked and replaced.

I installed the baseplate in the EOS in July 2010 and the car was purchased in April 2007, so I think that the car was out of warranty when the baseplate was installed. I guess it could have had drivetrain warranty still in effect, but I am not sure. My local Florida VW dealer is who reset the air bag circuit in the computer and they knew that the removal of the bumper is what caused the problem. I told them I removed the bumper to install the baseplate. I flat towed a Jeep Wrangler before the VW. When I got rid of the Jeep, the VW became our new toad. Our car is serviced by a VW dealer for everything including every oil change it has had. Maybe because there are so many motorhomes in Florida, they are use to cars being towed. I am not sure, I really never asked them about it.

The only warranty problem, knock on wood, that we ever had was a truck cover switch and circuit which verifies that the internal trunk compartment cover is closed prior to deploying the roof. They replaced a couple parts for this circuit all under warranty or at no charge to me. Last time it was repaired was in 2013 so the car was six years old.

Jim

Old 04-16-2015, 12:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Scott,

Brake issue happened in 2012, so our car was out of warranty. They definitely knew I was flat towing the car as I told them what happened. I was traveling in PA at the time and a dealer in the Poconos is where I brought the car to have the brakes checked and replaced.

I installed the baseplate in the EOS in July 2010 and the car was purchased in April 2007, so I think that the car was out of warranty when the baseplate was installed. I guess it could have had drivetrain warranty still in effect, but I am not sure. My local Florida VW dealer is who reset the air bag circuit in the computer and they knew that the removal of the bumper is what caused the problem. I told them I removed the bumper to install the baseplate. I flat towed a Jeep Wrangler before the VW. When I got rid of the Jeep, the VW became our new toad. Our car is serviced by a VW dealer for everything including every oil change it has had. Maybe because there are so many motorhomes in Florida, they are use to cars being towed. I am not sure, I really never asked them about it.

The only warranty problem, knock on wood, that we ever had was a truck cover switch and circuit which verifies that the internal trunk compartment cover is closed prior to deploying the roof. They replaced a couple parts for this circuit all under warranty or at no charge to me. Last time it was repaired was in 2013 so the car was six years old.

Jim

Roger that Jim.
I surely thank you for answering me on this. As stated, I think eventually, we'll be towing a late model VW Beetle, TDI, Convertible. Someday. And it won't be on no @#$% dolly.
Scott
Old 04-17-2015, 09:27 PM   #13

Kpjp,

Do you have a photo of your Eos bumper with the mounting plate installed?

I have an 08 Eos, 2.0L with automatic. I'd been curious about towing 4 down on the auto. The VW auto is more like a manual as I understand, with electrically operated clutch ?
Old 04-17-2015, 10:15 PM   #14

When I bought a 15 Jetta TDI SEL six speed manual I checked with the service manager. He stated it could be flat towed with the manual. Automatics require a dolly. Also read a VW statement to that effect somewhere, possibly this forum.
The Jetta is push button start, no keys, just proximity sensor. Keeping the electronic steering lock disengaged is something I need to look into. Anyone have one?

Tags
toad, toads