Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2011, 06:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgribks View Post
Probably what your dealer installed is the RV Tow Harness P/N 82211156. This is a Jeep factory part that allows you to flat tow your Jeep. This is not the trailer harness that allows a Jeep to tow a trailer. This is for the 2007-2010 wranglers and plugs into the factory harness underneath the hood. I don't know why anyone with a 2007 and up jeep would install anything different.
jcgribks, I'm SO glad that you posted this. When I was poking around the Jeep website and looking at accessories, I saw what I think is the same wiring harness. If I understand correctly, you just plug one end straight into your Jeep's harness, and then the other end goes straight into the RV trailer hitch. (what is it, the 4-plug jack on the hitch?) At that point, does it satisfy all needs for lights--running, braking, and turning? And then are the Jeep TOAD lights powered by the RV, or the Jeep battery?

If I'm understanding that harness correctly for the current model Wranglers, all you need to flat tow is the harness and a braking system? (oh, and where the harness plugs into the hitch, does it interfere with the plug for the braking system as well?)

Thanks so much! This would answer some big questions I have to set up a Wrangler/Wrangler Unlimited.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2011, 07:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildblu View Post
jcgribks, I'm SO glad that you posted this. When I was poking around the Jeep website and looking at accessories, I saw what I think is the same wiring harness. If I understand correctly, you just plug one end straight into your Jeep's harness, and then the other end goes straight into the RV trailer hitch. (what is it, the 4-plug jack on the hitch?) At that point, does it satisfy all needs for lights--running, braking, and turning? And then are the Jeep TOAD lights powered by the RV, or the Jeep battery?

If I'm understanding that harness correctly for the current model Wranglers, all you need to flat tow is the harness and a braking system? (oh, and where the harness plugs into the hitch, does it interfere with the plug for the braking system as well?)

Thanks so much! This would answer some big questions I have to set up a Wrangler/Wrangler Unlimited.
OK, I have the cooltech version of the harness, which is essentially the same animal, I believe. In any event, it uses the same interfacing scheme to accomodate the Jeep's CANBUS electrical system.

The harness (also sold by non-RV dealers; you are correct, jeep websites offer towing stuff such as baseplates) plugs in to the jeep harness. If you have the other harness for towing with the jeep, the two work together. The other end of the jeep flat-tow harness terminates in a connector you mount on the jeep; you get to pick where, so it doesn't interfere with anything. You use another cable to connect the RV and the jeep. The jeep tail, brake, and turn signals work in concert with the RV. Nothing interferes with the Jeep auxiliary braking system.

There is one minor caveat; two, actually. First, with the key "on" in the jeep, it draws some power. you can pull the IOC fuse temporarily to kill the power drain and leave the battery connected so you have power for your auxiliary brake, if you use one powered off the jeep. Newer jeeps (mid-08 on) don't have a steering lock, so this is not an issue. Second, if you use an aux brake that applies the brake pedal in the jeep (brake buddy, etc) it will also turn on the brake lights on the jeep; if you're signaling for a turn at the same time, the brake lights on the jeep will both come on and you won't have a turn signal on the jeep. You can also override this by pulling the brake light fuse; i've never found it to be an issue.

Go to cooltech's website for more details; he specializes in mostly-wrangler stuff and is very, very reasonable, and very, very helpful. $129 will get you the cooltech harness, with connectors, and the RV-jeep umbilical as well as a battery disconnect you won't need.

On the subject of baseplates, 4WD.com and others sell the Currie Enterprises (makers of rock jock skid plates) baseplate, that replaces the plastic valance panel under the front bumper with a slab of steel that incorporates the tow lugs for a Blue Ox tow bar. it's hell for stout, takes about a half hour to install without hacking up and keeping the useless plastic panel (unlike the relatively complex and flimsy, not to mention overpriced, Blue Ox base plate) and costs $200. Of course, it isn't hidden, it's a big chunk of metal, but when is that a problem on a jeep?

Setting up a wrangler for flat tow is amazingly simple and costs much less than I expected, especially since much of it can be sourced from non-RV supplier sources.
Samc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #17

Wow, what a great and informative post there. Thanks so much!
Old 04-18-2011, 05:41 AM   #18

tail lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
I'm going to pull a 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with a Blue Ox alpha tow bar and base plate.

I have read about installing a second set of light bulbs in the rear light housings of the toad. It was suggested that this was a preferable method of having brake, turn and tail lights on your toad, (compared to just using the light bulbs that came with the jeep).

The Dealer however, installed an electrical plug (6 pin I think) on the baseplate and connects the coach to the jeep via this wire plug. I haven't tested it yet (still don't have the coach) but have been told this is the way the jeep turn, tail and brake lights are lit from the coach.

Is using the light bulbs already in the jeep okay compared to installing a second set of lights in the tail light housings that are then connected to the coach? If not why is installing more light bulbs better?

Thanks

Roll
I put additional lights in my Wrangler, is not connected to the Wranglers system at all. There was enough room in each tail light assembly to put a additional bulb socket in. Now I have a Chevy cruze and I am rolling it around in my head about doing the same thing or getting those magnetic lights and just setting them on the trunk lid.
Retiredblade is offline   Reply With Quote