Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2014, 09:20 PM   #1

Questions re how to tow 2003 Lexus RX300 with a dolly

After years of having TTs and 5th wheels, we just bought a new-to-us MH. As we were looking at stepping up to a MH, we figured we'd just use our '03 Lexus RX300 as a toad, but we have since learned that 2002-on aren't to be towed 4-down. So we're looking at do we buy a tow dolly, or look at changing vehicles. We're renting a dolly from uHaul for a few days, just to try out towing a dolly. In a lot of ways, it'd certainly be easier to keep this vehicle that we've had since new and that we really like than it would be to find something else.

It seems like when I was browsing this forum some weeks ago that someone had posted some information about how an RX300 had to be towed (in Park, key to Acc??), and also about there being something that continued to use battery power even if everything was turned off, but I couldn't find that post tonight.

So, my questions: with an RX300, is the transmission to be in Park with the key turned to Acc? And does the vehicle need to be started every so often to keep the battery up?

I've watched the uHaul how-to-load-a-tow-dolly video a couple of times now, and I'll be looking at it again before we leave! From this site, I gather that stopping at 5 miles or so to check the wheel tie-downs is essential. Any other words of wisdom for a first-timer?

Thanks!

Larry
2005 Monaco Diplomat DP
GiddyupgoTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2014, 09:39 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Doesn't appear tow friendly to me, but google the 2003 dingy guide... Might shed some light....

Regardless you d be worse off damaging your car than swapping.

When we got our mh, we sold our 2004 Lexus is300 and my 2006 range rover for cash... No emotional attachment there. we replaced with a subaru outback, which has been great to tow.

The first time you need to reverse you'll regret that dolly unless you love man handling tow Dolly's
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:59 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

I assume it's a 2 wheel drive, as AWD isn't towable at all. If your dolly has a pivot plate to allow for turning, then leave the car in park, lock ignition and pocket the key. If your dolly doesn't have a pivot plate, you'll have to leave the key in acces to allow wheel to turn (if equipped with steering lock) With key in acces position, there may be a battery drain. Be sure to turn off radio, heater, etc. You could make a charge wire from RV battery to auto battery, with a couple of 20 amp auto reset circuit breakers near each battery to protect the circuit. In addition, a ground wire would have to be hooked up to allow auto battery charging.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

I assume it's a 2 wheel drive, as AWD isn't towable at all.
Good point: I forgot to mention that it is a FWD model

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If your dolly has a pivot plate to allow for turning, then leave the car in park, lock ignition and pocket the key. If your dolly doesn't have a pivot plate, you'll have to leave the key in acces to allow wheel to turn (if equipped with steering lock)
I don't think there's any kind of pivot plate - I suspect the uHaul dollies are pretty basic. We just wanted to try a dolly out. If we decide that we can make one work, it should wind up being a lot cheaper than replacing the car!
Old 02-11-2014, 06:33 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandN View Post
After years of having TTs and 5th wheels, we just bought a new-to-us MH. As we were looking at stepping up to a MH, we figured we'd just use our '03 Lexus RX300 as a toad, but we have since learned that 2002-on aren't to be towed 4-down. So we're looking at do we buy a tow dolly, or look at changing vehicles. We're renting a dolly from uHaul for a few days, just to try out towing a dolly. In a lot of ways, it'd certainly be easier to keep this vehicle that we've had since new and that we really like than it would be to find something else.

It seems like when I was browsing this forum some weeks ago that someone had posted some information about how an RX300 had to be towed (in Park, key to Acc??), and also about there being something that continued to use battery power even if everything was turned off, but I couldn't find that post tonight.

So, my questions: with an RX300, is the transmission to be in Park with the key turned to Acc? And does the vehicle need to be started every so often to keep the battery up?

I've watched the uHaul how-to-load-a-tow-dolly video a couple of times now, and I'll be looking at it again before we leave! From this site, I gather that stopping at 5 miles or so to check the wheel tie-downs is essential. Any other words of wisdom for a first-timer?

Thanks!

Larry
2005 Monaco Diplomat DP
we had a 2000 rx300 2 wheel drive that we flat towed for 5 yrs with no problem..then gave it to out daughter who drove it another 170,000 miles...to tow :we ran in it P for 5 minutes-put in N and turned off...leaving key in acc....we also stopped every 170-200 miles and just ran engine for 5 minutes
but, you can contact Remco, they may have a drive shaft disconnect or trans pump to install to make flat towing worry free...Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:48 AM   #6

We use a Master Tow / tow dolly to tow our RX300. It has the swivel plate and we have towed the Lexus approx. 16,000 miles.. If you decide to get a tow dolly I would would suggest to look for one with 15" tires. They have more load capacity and you can get a heavier duty tire. However, our tow dolly has 14" and other than a flat tire one time, it has not been a problem.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:29 AM   #7

I turn the ign. to off, leave the key in so the wheel won't lock and away we go. No need for acc.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster52 View Post
we had a 2000 rx300 2 wheel drive that we flat towed for 5 yrs with no problem..then gave it to out daughter who drove it another 170,000 miles...
Over the years, we'd seen a number of RX300s being flat-towed, but found out to our chagrin that after the 2001 Lexus model year they can't be done that way. We were disappointed, as the RX300 is a great car. That's why we'll be trying a dolly!
Old 02-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP1268 View Post
We use a Master Tow / tow dolly to tow our RX300. It has the swivel plate and we have towed the Lexus approx. 16,000 miles..
Good to know it CAN be done!
Old 02-12-2014, 08:27 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Go with a Caddie and a KARKADDYSS by Demco lock ing.pocket keys and lock the doors Get in MH and PUNCH it...
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly