Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2008, 05:40 AM   #1

Wanting to tow a 1998 Jeep Wrangler behind our 2004 31' Class C Winny...E450 Super Duty v-10, gas.

Questions:

Any input is good input and well appreciated.

I am torn between the economic benefits of the simple a frame style tow bar which simply has tow bar brackets that mount to the bumper. Can be had for well under $200. Or going with the frame mounted vehicle specific brackets like from roadmaster for several hundred $$$ more and I would guess piece of mined.

Also, I have searched extensively for any write up or Kit for installing diods to the existing Wrangler tail/brake lights. I would like to use the Wrangler lights as they are so easily accessible.

Thank you all in advance for your input.
abarebonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2008, 05:40 AM   #2

Wanting to tow a 1998 Jeep Wrangler behind our 2004 31' Class C Winny...E450 Super Duty v-10, gas.

Questions:

Any input is good input and well appreciated.

I am torn between the economic benefits of the simple a frame style tow bar which simply has tow bar brackets that mount to the bumper. Can be had for well under $200. Or going with the frame mounted vehicle specific brackets like from roadmaster for several hundred $$$ more and I would guess piece of mined.

Also, I have searched extensively for any write up or Kit for installing diods to the existing Wrangler tail/brake lights. I would like to use the Wrangler lights as they are so easily accessible.

Thank you all in advance for your input.
abarebonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:38 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Actually you don't need diodes to use the brake lights in that year Wrangler. The easiest (and least expensive) is to install an extra stop bulb in the Wrangler light assembly. Run the wires to the front, and attatch to the plug that comes from the MH that controls the lights. Simple, inexpensive and fool proof.
Blue Ox sells a kit to do just that for cheap.

As far as the tow bar is concerned, it depends on your level of convenience that you want. For my buck, the tow bar that stays attached to the MH and only has mounting brackets on the Wrangler was the only way to go. It makes hooking and unhooking so easy. Hooking up with a toad mounted tow bar can be a real PITA if the surface you are stopped on in not really close to level. For me, the extra $$ saved by cheaping out would not be worth the extra work EVERY time you hook up the toad.

And BTW, welcome to the boards!

Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:22 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If you have the basic flat bumper, there are some simple Blue Ox compatible brackets from Southwest 4X4, Balinger, TX. If you google that name you can find the address and phone number. I originally ordered them from another supplier that I don't have a link for now. If I could post a picture on here I would show you what it looks like. They are probably what the other poster refered to as they are about $100 per set. It is a much cheaper option for base plate, but I think you still need a Blue Ox tow bar (I got a used one on Ebay.)

The brackets could probably be used with a solid A frame towbar with a bit of mofification to the A frame part.

PM me if you want some pictures emailed.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:37 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
These mount thru bumper to frame right under existing tow hooks. Neat & simple!
Look for Ebay deal on Tow Bar.
I got a graet deal on a Avente II for my 97.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:25 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The ones shown by nautique are the ones I have as mentioned above. Just dont run into any one with them. They bend and hurt the other car as well. They stick out past the rubber bumper cushions.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:32 AM   #7

I have a wiring diagram and instructions for doing the wiring yourself that I created. It will probably only cost less than $20 for the parts needed. I have used this diagram/instructions on a '99 Wrangler & an '84 CJ with sucsess.

PM me with your email address if you need them. I don't have them on a URL and you cannot upload pictures here, or I would do that.